OT: HFB - Media/Fans Community - Full Interview with Rick Dhaliwal (35 min | May 17 | 2019)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Here is the highly anticipated interview with Rick Dhaliwal of SN650.
Full updates on ALL UFA/RFA status for the Canucks . (Mini Spoiler - Canucks like Skinner a lot, Heard his name brought up again the other day)
Updates on presidents search
Incredible Story on Botchford
Rick also goes on and talks about what the Canucks think about him reporting all these insider information. (Answer at 22:00 is absolutely f***ing hilarious)
I had a great time doing this interview, I hope everybody loves it.

Huge news+: Mr. Dhaliwal wants to not just only have this interview, but have interviews EVERY MONTH on any/all questions YOU all would like to ask.
He confirmed to do it BEFORE the draft, and after free agency.

Thank you
Rick Dhaliwal!

@xtra @clunk @BeardyCanuck03 @50 Sheas of Grey @y2kcanucks @rypper @BROCK HUGHES @Mr. Canucklehead @Zombotron @valkynax @Son of a Dawson

@Megaterio Llamas @TryamkinPleaseReturn @Tony Scarboni @BeardyCanuck03 @JanBulisPiggyBack @Mr. Canucklehead @DFAC @y2kcanucks @ccjon @Katani Kalan

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This was another great interview - well done, LB.

The answer to my question was fascinating - won’t spoil it here so that others listen, but I was quite surprised at Rick’s explanation regarding Benning’s reputation.

Also loved his answer to is he ever in hot water for breaking stories, and his Botchford story was great.

Great interview. Can’t say it enough again, LB, this is great stuff.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
This was another great interview - well done, LB.

The answer to my question was fascinating - won’t spoil it here so that others listen, but I was quite surprised at Rick’s explanation regarding Benning’s reputation.

Also loved his answer to is he ever in hot water for breaking stories, and his Botchford story was great.

Great interview. Can’t say it enough again, LB, this is great stuff.

Just finished listening and was gonna mention the exact same two points you did :laugh: “I do get in trouble sometimes”

I don’t mind summarizing the main points but also don’t want to spoil for those who haven’t had the chance to listen

Man Rick just sounds like such a chill laid back guy too. Would be fun to just have a few beers with and just chat

Reactions: Canucks LB

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Here is the highly anticipated interview with Rick Dhaliwal of SN650.
Full updates on ALL UFA/RFA status for the Canucks . (Mini Spoiler - Canucks like Skinner a lot, Heard his name brought up again the other day)
Updates on presidents search
Incredible Story on Botchford
Rick also goes on and talks about what the Canucks think about him reporting all these insider information. (Answer at 22:00 is absolutely ****ing hilarious)
I had a great time doing this interview, I hope everybody loves it.

Huge news+: Mr. Dhaliwal wants to not just only have this interview, but have interviews EVERY MONTH on any/all questions YOU all would like to ask.
He confirmed to do it BEFORE the draft, and after free agency.

Thank you
Rick Dhaliwal!

@xtra @clunk @BeardyCanuck03 @50 Sheas of Grey @y2kcanucks @rypper @BROCK HUGHES @Mr. Canucklehead @Zombotron @valkynax @Son of a Dawson

@Megaterio Llamas @TryamkinPleaseReturn @Tony Scarboni @BeardyCanuck03 @JanBulisPiggyBack @Mr. Canucklehead @DFAC @y2kcanucks @ccjon @Katani Kalan

That is so awesome!!! I'll give this a listen tomorrow, but very interested by your summary and excited by the idea of future interviews.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Decided to listen to it. Excellent show. You definitely came across as being a lot more comfortable and confident on this episode and I think it flowed very well. Honestly, I felt it came across similar to what you would hear on a 1040 interview segment, so great job LB!

Not going to spoil anything because it was a good listen and people should listen to it. Interesting points, especially about Benning's perception. I would like to challenge Rick on some of his comments though, regarding Benning. I'm sure his perception is what it is, but I don't think Benning knows how to manage a team and my evidence for that is the last 5 years.

I also challenge the idea that the Canucks are in a rebuild. This isn't a rebuild, this is simply a bad hockey team.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Decided to listen to it. Excellent show. You definitely came across as being a lot more comfortable and confident on this episode and I think it flowed very well. Honestly, I felt it came across similar to what you would hear on a 1040 interview segment, so great job LB!

Not going to spoil anything because it was a good listen and people should listen to it. Interesting points, especially about Benning's perception. I would like to challenge Rick on some of his comments though, regarding Benning. I'm sure his perception is what it is, but I don't think Benning knows how to manage a team and my evidence for that is the last 5 years.

I also challenge the idea that the Canucks are in a rebuild. This isn't a rebuild, this is simply a bad hockey team.
It’s actually quite interesting about you mentioning about me challenging the person, I was actually thinking about it.

But after thinking about it honestly, they did not have to do an interview with our community, I wanted to make sure I asked a lot of tough questions, but at the same time not insult anybody.

Thanks for the kind words everybody, I was definitely more comfortable this time around

Last edited:
Reactions: y2kcanucks

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Another great interview, I'll echo others and say you sounded considerably more comfortable in this one and just let Rick talk.

Rick sounds like a great dude to just chat with.

My only knock is and I think you were worried about this ahead of it with the phone to phone interview, it got really quiet at some points. I was listening at the gym with headphones on and my phone volume cranked.

But really enjoyed it and look forward to the next ones.

Also I've always pronounced them the pr-ah-vees, not the pro-vees. My world is shook lol.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Re: Dhaliwal’s description of Benning’s reputation - I think his commentary was more directed at Benning’s standing within the managerial and agent community rather than any sort of commentary on whether he has done a good job of running the team or not.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It’s actually quite interesting about you mentioning about me challenging the person, I was actually thinking about it.

But after thinking about it honestly, they did not have to do an interview with our community, I wanted to make sure I asked a lot of tough questions, but at the same time not insult anybody.

Thanks for the kind words everybody, I was definitely more comfortable this time around

Yeah, as the host you definitely can't challenge him too much otherwise he'll never do another interview with you, and word might get out and others won't do that. I totally get that from your perspective.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Re: Dhaliwal’s description of Benning’s reputation - I think his commentary was more directed at Benning’s standing within the managerial and agent community rather than any sort of commentary on whether he has done a good job of running the team or not.

I think you're right, after listening to it a second time. Just bothered me how he kept saying that Benning knows hockey and suggested he's an intelligent person.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think you're right, after listening to it a second time. Just bothered me how he kept saying that Benning knows hockey and suggested he's an intelligent person.

He did say that, and he’s entitled to his perspective. I’d be a little surprised if he offered up a more controversial hot take given that he works for the home of the Canucks. But he did acknowledge Benning’s shortcomings as an interview.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He did say that, and he’s entitled to his perspective. I’d be a little surprised if he offered up a more controversial hot take given that he works for the home of the Canucks. But he did acknowledge Benning’s shortcomings as an interview.

Yeah, it's just him protecting his job security, you don't want to bite the hand that feeds. Can't really blame him, we'd all do the same.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Good interview.

In regards to Benning's reputation, Benning is definitely part of the "Old Hockey Boys" club, which helps him. The fans, I think are very critical of what Benning has done (with every right to be). The "Old Hockey Boys" Club doesn't tend to want to rock the boat by criticising how someone operates as long as they follow the unwritten rules and aren't an ass hole.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good interview.

In regards to Benning's reputation, Benning is definitely part of the "Old Hockey Boys" club, which helps him. The fans, I think are very critical of what Benning has done (with every right to be). The "Old Hockey Boys" Club doesn't tend to want to rock the boat by criticising how someone operates as long as they follow the unwritten rules and aren't an ass hole.

If I was another NHL GM and there was a rube as hopeless as Benning in another GM role elsewhere, I would be absolutely delighted. I’m pretty sure the entire GM community doesn’t want him to go anywhere.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Thanks so much for all the nice comments.
Here and through DM’s.
I hope you all have enjoyed listening as I have interviewing.

Its just the start tho! We have many more interviews coming up, including Jeff Patterson which was #1 on many peoples lists.

Gonna be great!

member 290103

Lol, what agent in their right mind would not like Benning? I don’t believe the comments that other managers think highly of him...I mean I believe they tell Rick this, I just don’t believe they believe it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Lol, what agent in their right mind would not like Benning? I don’t believe the comments that other managers think highly of him...I mean I believe they tell Rick this, I just don’t believe they believe it.

I actually don’t doubt he is popular among the GMs and agents, for a lot of reasons listed here - yes it’s an old boys network, other GMs probably feel they can out negotiate him at best, or negotiate in good faith at worst, and ditto for agents. On top of all of that, he does seem friendly at the least. I know I’ve had friendly and popular colleagues who aren’t necessarily the greatest at their jobs.

member 290103

I actually don’t doubt he is popular among the GMs and agents, for a lot of reasons listed here - yes it’s an old boys network, other GMs probably feel they can out negotiate him at best, or negotiate in good faith at worst, and ditto for agents. On top of all of that, he does seem friendly at the least. I know I’ve had friendly and popular colleagues who aren’t necessarily the greatest at their jobs.

True enough, I would honestly agree that he seems like a nice guy, I just don't buy that he is well respected in term of his abilities - which is what I thought was implied.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
LB you sound like Galadon.

Don't worry if you don't know who Galadon is, that just means you're not a video game nerd like me LUL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->