Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LW - Sampo Ranta - 2018 #78 - (New)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I still have faith that AJG will turn out to be a decent middle-six player. Guess we'll see, but he needs to be given the chance first.
What worries me is that he isn't going to be given the chance given how we keep acquiring forwards to get in his way, and Bednar's seeming insistence that he not be given any offensive minutes. This is his last year of waiver exemption, and if he doesn't cement a role here I don't see how they keep him considering that Bowers and Kaut will likely be also pushing for NHL time after next season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What worries me is that he isn't going to be given the chance given how we keep acquiring forwards to get in his way, and Bednar's seeming insistence that he not be given any offensive minutes. This is his last year of waiver exemption, and if he doesn't cement a role here I don't see how they keep him considering that Bowers and Kaut will likely be also pushing for NHL time after next season.

Yep, this is why I continue to hem and haw on the Matt Calvert acquisition. I just didn't think it was necessary to get yet another bottom-six forward when there were plenty to choose from (I sure hope to hell he's a noticeable improvement on Comeau defensively). I'm guessing this ends with AJ getting dealt in some fashion as part of a package deal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still have faith that AJG will turn out to be a decent middle-six player. Guess we'll see, but he needs to be given the chance first.

I still like AJ a lot, he just doesn't have the same talent level & potential that Shvyrev / Kaut / Meloche / Timmins / Bowers do.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yep, this is why I continue to hem and haw on the Matt Calvert acquisition. I just didn't think it was necessary to get yet another bottom-six forward when there were plenty to choose from (I sure hope to hell he's a noticeable improvement on Comeau defensively). I'm guessing this ends with AJ getting dealt in some fashion as part of a package deal.
Greer was very much a Roy pick/project for a lot of reasons. I hope that this isn't one of those times a prospect picked by a previous regime falls out of favor with a new coach.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Greer needs to earn his chance, not be given it. The Avs have too many players who can play LW at a higher level than Greer right now. Greer needs to start beating some out like Wilson, Calvert, Bourque, Nieto, etc. If he can't beat them out, then he shouldn't be in the NHL. I think he can and will eventually, but he hasn't shown enough to be given anything IMO.

I know it is a slower path, but I'd really like to see Greer be a consistent driver of offense in the AHL before giving up on that part of his game. If it doesn't come this season, sure, mold him into a pure bottom 6 grinder. But at least try to develop that offense before pigeon hole-ing him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Greer was very much a Roy pick/project for a lot of reasons. I hope that this isn't one of those times a prospect picked by a previous regime falls out of favor with a new coach.

Yeah, and I'm likely reading too much into it but I got the impression Bednar did not like AJ's attempt to goad Blake Wheeler into a fight last season at all. I think that ended up being the last game he played for the Avs.

I still like AJ a lot, he just doesn't have the same talent level & potential that Shvyrev / Kaut / Meloche / Timmins / Bowers do.

No argument here really, just not sure how NHL readiness and role factor into the ranking. Plus, the Avs really need guys like Toninato and Greer to pan out. They've been below average in terms of drafting/developing top six forwards, but they've been downright horrid in developing bottom six guys.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
No argument here really, just not sure how NHL readiness and role factor into the ranking.
It's all personal preference in how you weigh all the factors. It's really just for fun that we do this, just go with your gut.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I would like to see Greer riding shotgun along some top 6 talent but given our inexperience on the '2nd' line I'd like to see him replace Comeaus on Soda's wing, at least in the preseason. Adds a similar physical element and scoring touch.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would like to see Greer riding shotgun along some top 6 talent but given our inexperience on the '2nd' line I'd like to see him replace Comeaus on Soda's wing, at least in the preseason. Adds a similar physical element and scoring touch.
Top six is maybe a little much, but have him play with somebody at least on the "bottom six" tier rather than pure 4th liners like Bourque and Toninato.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Greer - Shvyry - Kaut will lead the Eagles from Kelly Cup to Calder.

That’ll give AJ a chance to show what he can do next to top 6 talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad