• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well he said we built an nhl team. But I wouldn’t consider it to be an nhl team if there’s only 4 players that are actually nhl’ers and only one/two prospect is looking like he’s gonna have a legit nhl career.

It could be nitpicky but he said "entire" team, not "NHL" team. There's certainly enough bodies there to make a lineup, and that in and of itself is extremely impressive. Basically, as others have said, the trades of the 2009 draft class have given the Avalanche the organizational depth they didn't get by way of 10 years or so of shitty drafting under Pracey. It's just further proof that you cannot build a legit roster by virtue of one method. You can't draft/develop it, you can't buy it, and you can't trade for it. You have to be at least reasonably good at all three things.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It could be nitpicky but he said "entire" team, not "NHL" team. There's certainly enough bodies there to make a lineup, and that in and of itself is extremely impressive. Basically, as others have said, the trades of the 2009 draft class have given the Avalanche the organizational depth they didn't get by way of 10 years or so of ****ty drafting under Pracey. It's just further proof that you cannot build a legit roster by virtue of one method. You can't draft/develop it, you can't buy it, and you can't trade for it. You have to be at least reasonably good at all three things.

Ahh I misread it he did say entire team. And yeah I definitely agree, you can just make a team by drafting and developing. I think of the ways to add players that’s the most important one and it seems like we’ve started to somewhat turn it around in that department. And thankfully we’ve stayed out of the big FA’s lately and started using it for depth which is much better than handing out those crazy contracts that Ladd, Tanev, Clarkson, Iginla, and Beauch got.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just noticed Shvyrev's name is spelled wrong.

That reminds me...I wonder why he decided to change the Romanized spelling of his name. "Shvyryov" is much closer to how it's pronounced in Russian (Швырёв). I guess he got tired of people butchering it. At least it wasn't as bad a spelling as Varly had in his draft year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That reminds me...I wonder why he decided to change the Romanized spelling of his name. "Shvyryov" is much closer to how it's pronounced in Russian (Швырёв). I guess he got tired of people butchering it. At least it wasn't as bad a spelling as Varly had in his draft year.

Did he ever spell it right? For some reason, I thought that it's been "Shvyrev" since it was first officially transliterated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad