HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll #6

Who is the Avs #6 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Martin Kaut runs away with the poll, but slips three spots in the rankings from last year. Vladislav Kamenev added.

PositionPlayerDraft2019 Rank2018 RankChange
RDCale Makar2017 #41 (96.7%)10
LDBowen Byram2019 #42 (98.1%)--
CAlex Newhook2019 #163 (60.0%)--
RDConor Timmins2017 #324 (57.8%)3-1
RWMartin Kaut2018 #165 (92.6%)2-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This one is tough for me, but I'm going with Shiny New Toy Helleson, he really was an excellent pick. Also going to begin the campaign to add Shvyrev, despite his basically lost year of development in North America I still have hope for him.

I really never was that high on Bowers, I just don't see the offensive upside to be more than a bottom sixer at any point, but I expect him to win here.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ll go with Bowers. He doesn’t appear to have a lot of high end skill from what I’ve heard, but a couple of solid seasons in college and a 6’2 frame at centre.

Hopefully he can become a 3C for us in the future.

Reactions: ljb4

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Bowers, add Shiver.
I'm surprised Meloche isn't getting any votes here. Am I missing something or people forget about him?
Well, he hasn't passed Bowers who went ahead of him last year. What I'm interested to see is how much further he'll fall.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm surprised Meloche isn't getting any votes here. Am I missing something or people forget about him?
I'm just worried that he isn't progressing as well as he should be in the AHL. I'm not ready to give up on him, but his ceiling is shrinking and he really needs to take a big step towards an NHL callup next year if he wants to have a shot. It was close but Helleson has the higher ceiling right now despite being further away from it.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'm just worried that he isn't progressing as well as he should be in the AHL. I'm not ready to give up on him, but his ceiling is shrinking and he really needs to take a big step towards an NHL callup next year if he wants to have a shot. It was close but Helleson has the higher ceiling right now despite being further away from it.
I think he's been good in the AHL and I'd argue that he deserved more opportunity.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Huge drop off in talent here for me. I do like bowers skating but that’s about it. Kamenev I have hope for but could also be gone at any point this season and I wouldn’t be surprised. Don’t know enough about Helleson and meloche is trending towards bust or bottom pairing d at best now.

Kovalenko for me. If we hit on a late rounder with nhl bloodlines we will be laughing with the team we have.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Huge drop off in talent here for me. I do like bowers skating but that’s about it. Kamenev I have hope for but could also be gone at any point this season and I wouldn’t be surprised. Don’t know enough about Helleson and meloche is trending towards bust or bottom pairing d at best now.

Kovalenko for me. If we hit on a late rounder with nhl bloodlines we will be laughing with the team we have.

Kovalenko father has a lot of power in KHL. He can make his son sign a year early if he wants to.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kovalenko father has a lot of power in KHL. He can make his son sign a year early if he wants to.
I'd rather let him play out his KHL contract. He had a solid rookie season for an 18 year old, but played limited minutes on a powerhouse team. Unless he wants to come play in the AHL (little to no chance of that) he's best off playing in Russia for the next couple years. If he can continue his upward trajectory over the next two years he could step right into the NHL in a scoring role.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I hate ranking players out of their ELC but Bowers has a higher ceiling than Kamenev at this point. For me Bowers clearly rounds out this tier. His game has a lot of polish and he should be in the NHL soon. I’m not entirely sure the upside but he’s a lot closer than pretty much anyone left but Kamenev.

I believe in Meloche’s talent but I don’t believe the Avs do. Second year pro with no games is pretty much a death knell. Helleson isn’t even close to consideration here for me, he has a long long way to go to show what he’s going to develop into.

I forget when the adding two players happens? Opinions are going to spread out a lot after this vote. Add Ranta if it’s one, if there’s a second add Greer.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I forget when the adding two players happens? Opinions are going to spread out a lot after this vote. Add Ranta if it’s one, if there’s a second add Greer.
I said 10, but I'll play it by ear. If we start to diverge a lot on who to add I'll start adding two, it really doesn't matter much, it's just a little extra work for me each round.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't feel like there's much separation between Shvy, Weiss, Greer, Morrison, Ranta, Kovalenko & Kamenev. Got the two RHBs after Bowers and then some iteration of those 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad