HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll #5

Who is the Avs #5 Prospect?

• D - Nicolas Meloche - 2015 #40 - (5)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RW - Nikolai Kovalenko - 2018 #171 - (13)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
tenor.gif

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
With Kaut running away with this, my take away is we have a clear-cut first "tier" of prospects (or, perhaps more accurately, a second tier behind Makar and Byram).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With Kaut running away with this, my take away is we have a clear-cut first "tier" of prospects (or, perhaps more accurately, a second tier behind Makar and Byram).

That one. Although Bowers is probably closer to this 2nd tier than the third tier...even if I'm not sold he has realistic 2C potential.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That one. Although Bowers is probably closer to this 2nd tier than the third tier...even if I'm not sold he has realistic 2C potential.

I have a wild theory that Bowers is going to be one of those players that does better in the NHL due to the structure. The AHL seems like the wild west, and I don't think it helps players like Kaut and Bowers sometimes. Not to say they get nothing from it of course.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There was a lot of hype for him at that time too.

Large miss by a number of us... should also be a huge cautionary tale about hype around prospects. Most of the time they actually disappoint. ;)

The prospect who I don't think gets enough love is Morrison. He's not gonna be a top line guy or anything, but he's big, goes to dirty areas, and has good enough hands to make an impact.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Large miss by a number of us... should also be a huge cautionary tale about hype around prospects. Most of the time they actually disappoint. ;)

The prospect who I don't think gets enough love is Morrison. He's not gonna be a top line guy or anything, but he's big, goes to dirty areas, and has good enough hands to make an impact.
The question is, does he sign with us? I like his upside too but him going back for a senior season might put a damper on his ranking here.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I have a wild theory that Bowers is going to be one of those players that does better in the NHL due to the structure. The AHL seems like the wild west, and I don't think it helps players like Kaut and Bowers sometimes. Not to say they get nothing from it of course.

Interesting perspective. I never thought of it that way. This is where I'm disadvantaged in not understanding the offensive and defensive schemes that are utilized. I was reading something about Kaut and he said they were trying to encourage him to be selfish and shoot instead of looking to pass. IIRC he said this was due to the fact that he was used to playing in a system with more structure.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Interesting perspective. I never thought of it that way. This is where I'm disadvantaged in not understanding the offensive and defensive schemes that are utilized. I was reading something about Kaut and he said they were trying to encourage him to be selfish and shoot instead of looking to pass. IIRC he said this was due to the fact that he was used to playing in a system with more structure.

Yeah there has been a lot said about the lack of structure in the AHL. Including plenty of comments by players over the years. Probably has less to do with coaching, and more to do with the competitive environment.

On the other hand someone like Kam might be held back in a way by having to play within a more strict environment. It is not like 4th line guys get a long leash either.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I agree with the structure theory as well. It’s why someone like Graves never looked great in the AHL was able to play better in the NHL. I’m of the mind that playing too long in the AHL one gets too used to the play down there and starts becoming a “good AHL player”, Kam is a good example of this who maybe got too used to the AHL and had trouble getting broken of it at the NHL level. Intelligent players can adapt quicker in the NHL and appreciate the structure, which is why waiting until they are perfect at the AHL level is dangerous.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree with the structure theory as well. It’s why someone like Graves never looked great in the AHL was able to play better in the NHL. I’m of the mind that playing too long in the AHL one gets too used to the play down there and starts becoming a “good AHL player”, Kam is a good example of this who maybe got too used to the AHL and had trouble getting broken of it at the NHL level. Intelligent players can adapt quicker in the NHL and appreciate the structure, which is why waiting until they are perfect at the AHL level is dangerous.

Yeah I think having that in the back of my mind may even come from some of your comments over the years, but I wasn't 100% on it enough to cite you directly.

I kind of wonder if Meloche will be in danger of that here soon.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
It was actually a long time ago. If ever. Chris Bigras was never going to be an NHL asset.

I think you're missing the point. Regardless of whether you believe he was never going to be an NHL player or a promising youngster whose injuries threw his career off the rails, the fact remains that he was indeed the top prospect at his position for the organization at one point, meaning it was a pretty shallow pool of talent. It's gotten a whole lot deeper in a relatively short amount of time. This used to be a team that had a rep of not being able to develop impact defensemen the last decade or so (apart from Tyson Barrie of course). It's still kinda shocking looking at this prospect depth chart now and not only see two defenders at the top, but likely 3-5 total in the top 10.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I think Kam's ability to stay healthy in the NHL is his biggest weakness. If he could string together more then 25 games a season without shattering, that would definitely help him get a feeling for his teammates play. Jmo on old Kam

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

I think Kam's ability to stay healthy in the NHL is his biggest weakness. If he could string together more then 25 games a season without shattering, that would definitely help him get a feeling for his teammates play. Jmo on old Kam

I’m with Tommy on this one.

Kamenev has been fine at the NHL level when healthy and up-to-speed. Yes he’s played 2 seasons in the A but that’s hardly out of the ordinary. If he can stay healthy for any amount of time he will be an NHL regular - he brings plenty of elements that our current roster lacks.

Not to say that you’re point about becoming adjusted to/and “just a good AHL guy” is off base TV, it’s just a bit unfair in Kam’s case. Just because he’s had bad injury luck to this point doesn’t mean he hasn’t been good enough to keep his spot up until he got injured (moreso this past season than the first go-round, which had little-to-no sample size pre injury).

Plenty of folks are sleeping on Kamenev. He was a nailed on NHL regular and trusted faceoff guy this past season before he got hurt. The real question is can he make it more than a quarter of the year without breaking in half again.

Reactions: Tommy G

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->