• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I went with Barron over Timmins for two reasons:
- Timmins needs to prove he can stay healthy, and
- I like Barron's skating way more. Timmins skating might hold him back a bit compare to Barron but I still think he has top-4 potential.

Next I might even go with Kaut at #4. Undicided at this point.

This is very good news though when you can argue between 3 different players for #3 spot. And Bowers might not be too far behind as well but until he can prove he can score at the NHL level he will be behind Kaut for me.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I’m probably the lowest on the Avs boards in terms of confidence in Bowers. Annunen, very excited about, but gotta let him marinate. Same with Barron.

Timmins, lots of questions, and like TV said, Kaut could probably slot in and help today.

reminds me of when everyone raved about the Red Wings development system, keeping players in the minors for a few years. I think this is the Kaut route to the NHL. Once he jumps up, he’ll stick.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I had Timmins over Kaut last season, but I've got to give Kaut some credit. He really is making himself look like a surefire middle six NHLer. Timmins has the higher upside as everyone else agrees on, but until his injury issues can be forgotten, I have to give the edge to Kaut.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I almost went with Kaut but I went with Barron. I’m just not sure what to expect from Kaut, whereas I look at Barrons style of play and I see more ways that Barron has a bigger impact.

He's by far the easiest player to project in that list. Barron may or may not be an NHL player, Timmins may or may not stay healthy enough to have a career. We've seen last year that Kaut is capable of being at the very least a 3rd line winger...he has the highest floor here and it's not close.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He's by far the easiest player to project in that list. Barron may or may not be an NHL player, Timmins may or may not stay healthy enough to have a career. We've seen last year that Kaut is capable of being at the very least a 3rd line winger...he has the highest floor here and it's not close.

He’s closer to making it to the NHL so it’s easy to say he has the highest floor. I won’t argue with that. My impression of Kaut is that he’ll perform well when playing on a line with other talented players. But he won’t carry or drive the action. I think on the third line with Compher at center, he might seem like a mere worker bee but without the numbers. Same with the 4th line. And because of the depth at wing, this could be somewhat problematic.

I feel like the Avs embracing the identity of emphasizing skating and playing transition avails a greater opportunity for a player with Barrons skill set to make an impact. I know there are defensive responsibilities that go along with it and so saying “get puck, skate with puck” is an oversimplification.

It’s starting to seem like the Avs have decided the benefit of good skaters and puck movers is so great that they’re less worried about diversification with “defensive defensemen”. Weirdly, AJ mentioned a rumor that the Avs were interested in trading up for Schneider, so admittedly they may not be as all in with the puck movers as I’m describing. Nevertheless, Barron’s skill set lines up almost perfectly with what the Avs seem to be doing. And this weighs in heavily in my reasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad