Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll #3

Who is the Avs #3 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Once again, to no one's surprise, Newhook runs away with the #2 spot with 98% of the vote. Now is where it gets interesting...

Added Justus Annunen.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Tough call, but I gotta go with Kaut here... Timmins has a higher ceiling but the injuries do give me some hesitation. It's real close, but I believe in Kaut's readiness and his potential to be a great middle sixer type.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Had to go with Kaut. I like Timmins but the injuries scare me off a bit. Annunen might make me eat crow but I’d like to see more before I anoint him the 3rd best prospect.

I really liked Kaut’s compete when he played with us and he chipped in some points. He will be an NHLer.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Tough call, but I gotta go with Kaut here... Timmins has a higher ceiling but the injuries do give me some hesitation. It's real close, but I believe in Kaut's readiness and his potential to be a great middle sixer type.
Timmins injury issues make me wish we could unload him for a decent return, I think he is just one of those guys that is never healthy sadly. Like, if he makes the NHL he will be playing 50 games tops per season kind of player. Really sad too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kaut until Timmins proves that he can stay healthy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Timmins injury issues make me wish we could unload him for a decent return, I think he is just one of those guys that is never healthy sadly. Like, if he makes the NHL he will be playing 50 games tops per season kind of player. Really sad too.
I think it's worth holding on to him. I believe in his potential 100%, if it wasn't for the injury in the playoffs he would have been the easy choice for me. As it is, it's still very close. That's a gamble I think is worth taking.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I think it's worth holding on to him. I believe in his potential 100%, if it wasn't for the injury in the playoffs he would have been the easy choice for me. As it is, it's still very close. That's a gamble I think is worth taking.
That is totally fair in my opinion. He just didn’t log a lot of minutes before he was injured with what we all feared was another dreaded concussion. I agree with everything you are saying except that I think he is getting borderline...cursed? Snake bitten? He just has the injury proneness that I am starting to believe, for the first time, will NOT go away. Hope I am wrong.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I almost went with Kaut but I went with Barron. I’m just not sure what to expect from Kaut, whereas I look at Barrons style of play and I see more ways that Barron has a bigger impact.

I’ve practically written off Timmins. I think he’s just as likely to be out if the league in three years as he is a steady and reliable contributor.

Reactions: Outbreaks

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Timmins is probably the 3rd best prospect, but no way he should touch the top 5 until otherwise noted. I think Bowers has a bit more offensive flair than Kaut, but hard to argue against a player who looked quite good when he played in the NHL.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Timmins. He might be out of the league in a few years and likely the reason for drafting Barron, until this happens choosing on potential. His skill level is deserving as the 3rd choice.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You have Barron ahead of Kaut? I need to watch more Barron vids.

I think Barron has more upside yeah, but also a much lower floor. Really just depends IMO n what you want out of your prospects.

The way I see it, Barron has a real legit shot of being a Top 4 RHD, a guy who can play 20+ minutes a night and be a real jack of all trades sort. Kill Penalties, Play PP(He wont here obviously but he could), good defensively, and some offensive upside as well. But he's also pretty raw especially thanks to losing a significant portion of his draft year to the blood clot issues. I have faith and belief his development really gets back on track this year and he will be a future Top 4 guy for us. But it's also possible that things just dont work out and that he busts entirely.

On the flip side, Kaut now being through his D+2 year and having shown the development he has.... I think with a lot of confidence at this point he is going to be at least an every day NHL player. The question is just a matter of what kind of a role he plays. His top end upside is probably that of a 2nd line utility guy, someone compared him to Jakob Silferberg the other day which I think is a good comparison. But I also dont have the confidence in him yet that he actually reaches that level of upside. I haven't seen enough offense from him in his last 2 years to be confident in him being a productive enough player to play on a Top 6 line. What I think he really lines up as is a strong 3rd liner. A guy who can score 15 goals(Maybe even a couple years around 20), 35 points, and a strong defensive player who can kill penalties and forecheck well.

So ultimately, if things work out great for both... I see a Top 4 RHD vs. a complimentary 2nd line winger. On that pure upside I pick Barron.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Kaut is def gonna be a middling NHLer. Timmins still has a sliver of second pair upside. That said, he'll probably bust. Bowers is a 3-4 center for sure. So I reckon Barron as a new guy has some top-4 upside for now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Kaut is my vote here, part of that proximity, NHL readiness and I’ve always been a fan of his game. He’s not flashy but he’s effective. He’s not going to wow in the boxscore but most of his production comes from primary points at even strength. I think he can elevate PP2 and be a utility player on lines 2-4 and even at center in a pinch. He’s also the one I have the most confidence the org will transition to the NHL.

Kaut could be a 3rd line winger tomorrow, Timmins has to have a lot of things go right to be a top 4 D on this team.

Timmins and Barron have 4/5 ceilings to me. Not only does Timmins have injury concerns but his foot speed is still holding him back. The org loves him and I have generally been satisfied with his NHL games but he’s going to have a tougher time finding that role. It’s really make or break time for him at 22 years old this year but I would vote Timmins next at this point because there still is the upside. Barron is going to have to survive the AHL, we’ll see how that goes. He might have to push Timmins to get an opportunity.

Then it’s between Bowers and Annunen. I like Bowers but he needs to get a whiff of NHL time before I really believe they are going to use him.

I’m down with adding Kovalenko

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Voted Kaut and expected to be the only one to do so. I was wrong.

Voted Bowers and didn't expect to be the only one to do so! Whoa.

Granted I haven't watched him since last training camp. He looked great back then.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I think Barron has more upside yeah, but also a much lower floor. Really just depends IMO n what you want out of your prospects.

The way I see it, Barron has a real legit shot of being a Top 4 RHD, a guy who can play 20+ minutes a night and be a real jack of all trades sort. Kill Penalties, Play PP(He wont here obviously but he could), good defensively, and some offensive upside as well. But he's also pretty raw especially thanks to losing a significant portion of his draft year to the blood clot issues. I have faith and belief his development really gets back on track this year and he will be a future Top 4 guy for us. But it's also possible that things just dont work out and that he busts entirely.

On the flip side, Kaut now being through his D+2 year and having shown the development he has.... I think with a lot of confidence at this point he is going to be at least an every day NHL player. The question is just a matter of what kind of a role he plays. His top end upside is probably that of a 2nd line utility guy, someone compared him to Jakob Silferberg the other day which I think is a good comparison. But I also dont have the confidence in him yet that he actually reaches that level of upside. I haven't seen enough offense from him in his last 2 years to be confident in him being a productive enough player to play on a Top 6 line. What I think he really lines up as is a strong 3rd liner. A guy who can score 15 goals(Maybe even a couple years around 20), 35 points, and a strong defensive player who can kill penalties and forecheck well.

So ultimately, if things work out great for both... I see a Top 4 RHD vs. a complimentary 2nd line winger. On that pure upside I pick Barron.
I see Kaut being a solid 3rd line guy at 30-35 points a year. I’m not sure we are going to have room for him to be on the 2nd line or ability to be a mainstay on the 2nd line. Kaut could be a high end 3rd liner in my opinion. Newhook is most likely going to eat up the first 2nd line spot even if it is at wing to start. That all being said, I would be thrilled to have Kaut as a long term 3rd liner, he has a nose for the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad