W6qw2TK.png

WCW Summer Solstice Slam!
Mobile Civic Center, Mobile, Alabama
5,000 in attendance
Commentary team: Tony Shiavone & Bobby Heenan

6-Man Tag Team Match
El Matador & Los Matadores w/ El Torito vs
Rhyno, Mantaur & Johnny “The Bull” Stamboli
A fun and light-hearted opening match that would see plenty of gimmicky spots. Not much to say other than hoping the joke and characters would be enough to get some laughs and loosen up the crowd for the rest of the show.
Winner: El Matador gets the pinfall after a flying forearm delivered to Johnny Stamboli.

2-on-1 Handicapped Match
Bam Bam Bigelow vs Kaientai (TAKA Michinoku & Sho Funaki)
Bam Bam Bigelow had been making short work of multiple opponents for weeks leading up to this event. Previously, Bigelow had squashed both TAKA and Funaki separately. They teamed together and retaliate against Bigelow after one of his squashes, getting the slight upper hand. Will Kaientai be able to stop Bam Bam’s path of destruction?
Winner: No. Bam Bam wins.

WCW Television Championship
“Kiss My Ass” Singles Match

Val Venis (C) vs Kevin Sullivan w/ Woman
While stretching and working out backstage on Nitro, Woman caught the eye of Val Venis. Immediately Venis found her fallen angel shtick incredibly sexy and began flirting with her. Woman, despite what one may think, was flattered and found no harm in some flirting. This disturbed her husband, The Prince of Darkness Kevin Sullivan. Sullivan goes as far as to say the even he, the Prince of Darkness, believes Val Venis is too great a perversion for wrestling. He plans to take Val Venis’ Television Championship, career and livelihood while making him kiss his ass and show a true wrestler respect.
Winner: Val Venis will win after Woman accidentally distracts the ref when trying to help Sullivan win, leading to Venis taking control and winning with a Money Shot. To get out of kissing Venis’ ass, Sullivan offers up Woman to Venis for one night. Val accepts but Woman goes for a low blow, which Val stops. Venis beats up both, with a comedy head slam. Venis then makes both Sullivan and Woman kiss his ass.

10-Man Battle Royal
Winner is the true “Chairman” of the Cruiserweights

La Parka vs Super Calo vs Elix Skipper vs
El Dandy vs Silver King vs Lash Laroux vs
Delirious vs Blitzkrieg vs Jamie Noble vs Mike Quackenbush
La Parka had begun to draw the ire of the cruiserweights for weeks with sneak attacks from behind with his trusty steel chair. La Parka has given no reasoning other than being the “Chairman of the Cruiserweights”. This has led to the other cruiserweights and victims of La Parka to ban together. A fast-paced spot-fest to please the crowd. La Parka will constantly try to cheat or run away but often be thwarted comedically. La Parka will pull off the upset and retain his moniker.
Winer: ...and still the Chairman of the Cruiserweights, La Parka.

WCW Women’s Championship
Singles Match

Bayley (C) vs Awesome Kong w/ Col. Rob Parker
Col. Rob Parker had been spending months trying to break into the women’s division and manage a champion. In his quest he has taken offense to Bayley and her sunny disposition. Parker intends to show Bayley that life isn’t just hugs and happiness. Life is cruel and he’s going to show her. Parker signs a new, unknown talent that turns out to be Awesome Kong making her debut at Summer Solstice Slam!
Winner: Awesome Kong is too great a power for Bayley to handle unprepared. Parker need not get involved as Awesome Kong handily crushes Bayley to win the WCW Women’s Championship.

Pose-down challenge
Lex Luger vs Norman Smiley
Luger enters for his match early. Luger insists that Smiley is no match for him, and you can tell just from looking at them. Lex throws out a challenge for a pose-down to illustrate his point. Smiley comes out and agrees to the challenge. Lex Luger gives a full gauntlet of body builder poses, having boo’s rained down on him. Smiley then goes to pose but instead elects to give the crowd a Big Wiggle to their elation. Luger flies into a fury and attacks Smiley from behind and instructs the ref to ring the bell and start the match.
WCW United States Championship
Singles Match

Lex Luger (C) vs Norman Smiley
Smiley has been the victim of schoolyard bullying from Luger. Luger says Smiley is a loser because he is the everyman in their clash, claiming that average people are an insult to him and his physique. Luger demands respect from Smiley and refuses to reciprocate on the ground of Smiley doing nothing worthy of his respect. Smiley mounts some offense and has the crowd on the edge of their seat.
Winner: In the end, the power and poise of The Total Package is too much for Smiley, who submits to a Torture Rack to give Lex the mostly easy win.

Winners Take All WCW & AJPW Tag Team Championship
Tag Team Match

Rick & Scott Steiner (WCW Tag Team Champions) vs
Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue (AJPW Tag Team Champions)
With typical WCW and Japan cross-promotion The Holy Demon Army, Kawada and Taue, have taken offense to being shipped to America to “slum it” in order to fulfill contractual obligations. They run roughshod over the WCW tag team division, until The Steiner Brothers begin to take exception with Kawada & Taue’s attitudes. Kawada and Taue issued a challenge to the Steiners; all the glory, all the belts, all the bragging rights. This match has become an international incident that promises to be a hard-hitting affair.
Winners: After a stiff and very strong match between the two teams, Kawada is able to distract the referee to allow Taue to hit Rick Steiner with a mysterious, ceremonial powder in the eyes. The Holy Demon Army pick up the win and the glory.

Steel Cage Grudge Match
Singles Match

“The Loose Cannon” Brian Pillman vs WCW President Nick Bockwinkle w/ Bobby Heenan
Pillman for months has been running amuck throughout WCW. Whether it’s in the ring, backstage or on the road he has become public enemy #1 with his unhinged antics. WCW President Nick Bockwinkle suspended Pillman following one of his typical incidents only to see Pillman return to WCW events, interfering in others’ matches. Even a hefty fine from the president did little to correct The Loose Cannon’s behaviour. Bockwinkle has decided the only way to teach Pillman a lesson is the old-fashioned way, in a Steel Cage grudge match. After hearing this news, Nick’s long-time friend and former manager in the AWA, Bobby Heenan has enlisted himself to be in Bockwinkle’s corner, taking time away from the broadcast booth during this match. Recently Pillman had ignored rules and yanked Heenan’s headset off his head when he was fresh from neck surgery. Heenan is happy to help teach this punk a lesson in respect, showing that Pillman has been under the skin of everyone and anyone, even the Weasel’s.
Winner: Age and experience turns out to be no match for Pillman, who’s unpredictability and willingness to do whatever it takes results in a brutalization of both Bockwinkle and even Heenan. Pillman picks up the win by casually walking out of the door of the cage, leaving Heenan to tend to his old friend, left in a pool of his own blood.

WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Singles Match

Bret “Hitman” Hart (C) vs Jake “The Snake” Roberts w/ Bruce Hart
For weeks, Jake Roberts has been hell-bent on corrupting the Hart family against Bret. Referring to Bret as “lonely Hart” he brought Bret’s brother Bruce to his side. Roberts cuts promos referring to his “brothers” and how Bret would be much better off just joining him and spare himself the pain at the hands of the sadistic Snake Man. During the match Bret expertly works Jake’s back while keeping Bruce at bay. Eventually Bruce comes in to break up a Sharp Shooter. Bret releases the hold in favor of a stand-off with Bruce. After some heated words, Jake hits Bret from behind, knocking Bret and Bruce to the outside. Jake lifts a prone Bret Hart and delivers a vicious DDT to the concrete floor. Roberts instructs and demands Bruce lift his brother and roll him into the ring, where Jake gets the easy pin and wins his first major world championship.
Winner: …and NEW WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Jake “The Snake” Roberts.

vs

Live in the Now

I did not draft a stadium, so taking place in my own imagination, with Stevie Richards doing all the commentary...

MAIN EVENT

THERE MUST BE A WINNER

Rowdy before rowdy was cool meets middle aged and crazy in a match with no rules, no holds barred, and two men who will not surrender

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper vs. Terry Funk

CO-MAIN EVENT

IT'S TIME

Wrestling supremacy meets brawling brutality, as our Olympic hero takes on the Mastodon in a battle to determine which style is best!

Kurt Angle vs. Vader

FATAL FOUR WAY

Four of the best junior heavyweights in history square off in this one time event, with 17 IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championships between them!

Jushin "Thunder" Liger vs. Hiromu "Time Bomb" Takahashi vs. Low-Ki vs. "The Juice" Juventud Guerrera

Grudge Match

Imagine this with Shane Douglas in the place of Ole Anderson, and there you have it! Magnum TA was attacked by Shane Douglas and Arn Anderson on the behalf of one Tommaso Ciampa, who will stop at nothing to be rid of the 80's version of Johnny Gargano! Magnum TA seeks his revenge in this bout, which will no doubt be a classic!

Tommaso Ciampa vs. Magnum TA

WOMEN'S CLASSIC

Japan's best female wrestling export collides with a blast from the past, someone with a history of throwing titles into garbage cans, in this one time only event!

Madusa vs. Asuka

Tag Team Battle

With a card that takes place in someone's imagination, you never know what they'll think up! In this contest, we have one made up yet entirely matching tag team, taking on Beautiful Bobby and Sweet Stan, the Midnight Express!

The Midnight Express (w/Jim Cornette) vs. "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson and "The Franchise" Shane Douglas

Tag Team Match

Booking entirely for myself, we have a bout between two tag teams who were both best in Japan. First, we have Doug Furnas and Phil Lafon/Dan Kroffat, who had one of the greatest tag matches ever way back in 1992. Second, we have a more modern team, two wrestlers who I strongly believe should be pushed as singles acts, yet they are not. From Los Ingobernables de Japan, we have Evil and Sanada!

Doug Furnas and Dan Kroffat vs. Evil & Sanada

Triple Threat Match

Once again, we have something taking place in the mind of an NJPW fan! It's two of the most hard hitting wrestlers, Hirooki Goto and Tomoaki Honma, joined by another follower of strong style, someone yet to make their debut in NJPW, Walter!

Walter vs. Tomoaki Honma vs. Hirooki Goto​

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Two quality cards yet again.

HandsomeHollywood: Well, the WCW theme shines through very clearly. Very well executed tone, which is difficult to achieve. I'm surprised by some of the result choices, but they are interesting. The Luger vs Smiley pose down gave me a laugh, and I too would be elated by the big wiggle. The tag match is the best on any card, I like the main event angle and I really like the unexpected way you took Pillman vs Bockwinkel. Only other thing I can really say is that in the pursuit of tone you possibly miss out on some talent, but when I was in a similar boat with my own card.

Live in the Now: Strong card with good depth. A melding of two pretty distinct styles in terms of current NJPW and old school Southern style wrestling and well executed. Funk vs Piper would have incredible promos in the build, but I have no idea who would take on which role. Possibly not a great in ring match, but that is mitigated by the penultimate match being Angle and Vader, which would almost certainly be great in ring. Battle of the random moonsaults. No big negatives or anything, but I have a hard time seeing Magnum in a Gargano role when he was way bigger than Ciampa and I'm personally not a big fan of some of the current NJPW guys once you get past the top level.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@JackSlater how could my neighbor possibly think Piper and Funk would NOT be killer in ring??

It just took me 30 mins to pick this one.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Piper. I may just be underrating Funk though. In terms of promos the match is easily among the best.
I'd like to see an argument, but I think Funk is probably the most versatile wrestler of all time, able to handle just about any match of any kind.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I love both these cards. Both have some of my absolute favourites on the cards. I went back and forth and settled on Live in the Now's card. The intrigue of what the Piper/Funk match could be, Magnum TA, and Angle vs Vader sold me. Was a tough choice either way. Great cards from both.

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
HH - Love your main event. Wowsa. But that 10 man battle royal lost a lot of talent into a over the top rope match that doesn't showcase them well enough.

LitN - you have Kurt Angle and a million great talents! Vader wouldn't have been my first pick, but your card is loaded with the wrestling I like the most.

I'm not just saying this to say it. I think every single person in this year's draft did a f***ing insanely great job putting cards together. They are so creative. They are so smart. It's so damn hard to vote. Kudos to every single person.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
My goal eventually became a WCW inspired show in tone and feel. Unfortunately I didn't figure that out until maybe a third of the way through the draft, or else I had taken Flair and not Bret, with no offense meant towards Hitman.
I debated making my Cruiserweight match more of a Scramble/Hardcore battle royal style from 'Mania 2000, but ultimately thought the battle royal would be a better gimmick to see live and would be a neater product in appearance overall.
I do see an error now in my second year with my typical approach. Where I do have pride in my method producing believable feeling shows for their themes, it does have me leaving a lot of talent on the table in pursuit of the right person.

@Live in the Now has a great show. While Piper and Funk would be great story, I do agree with Jack that the in-ring product might lack on Piper's end.
Vader and Angle would be a fantastic match that I'd love to see personally. Could see Angle getting a big German in on Vader.
Madusa and Asuka wouldn't be something I'd be excited for, but still has that all-time, dream feel.
There's a lot of guys on your show I'd love to have had involved in mine but I didn't start going for WCW guys until late, coupled with the fact the lower WCW talent started going earlier and faster than I expected.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This one was really close for me. As I type I don't even know which way I'll vote...

@HandsomeHollywood : Love the WCW aspects of the card from Mobile, AL to your fantastic commentary team. I also think you have an excellent collection of talent and while no one else will probably mention him Col Parker for example was a nice addition. So much talent though from top to bottom and a lot of things I like. My big issue with your card are some of the matchups on the lower half of your card. I think a few feel "forced" if you will and I would have just eliminated a match and put Bigelow vs Sullivan (like that Woman is w/ Sullivan btw). Like the top 1/3 of your card and I think a cruiserweight Battle Royale is more original than just another Ulimate X type match. Main Event is excellent and you didn't even need the Bruce Hart angle, but it's just a nice added creative bit.

@Live in the Now: Love some of the older guys you drafted and like how your incorporated some of the Japanese guys here. Really like the Fatal Fourway and your first tag team match is for me the better of the two. Like that you had two tag team matches as well, though I would have broken them up. Not so sure I'd love Angle vs Vader from a build standpoint, but it'd be interesting in the ring, but I'd enjoy Piper vs Funk and if I didn't the build would be worth it. Like the idea around Douglas, AA and Ciampa, but perhaps it could have had a bit more story behind it. Love the Midnight Express and Cornette. Considering your card and who you drafted along with my approach, love that this is something that you really wanted to see/make and none of it feels like you just put it together to make up your card.

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
This one was really close for me. As I type I don't even know which way I'll vote...

@HandsomeHollywood : Love the WCW aspects of the card from Mobile, AL to your fantastic commentary team. I also think you have an excellent collection of talent and while no one else will probably mention him Col Parker for example was a nice addition. So much talent though from top to bottom and a lot of things I like. My big issue with your card are some of the matchups on the lower half of your card. I think a few feel "forced" if you will and I would have just eliminated a match and put Bigelow vs Sullivan (like that Woman is w/ Sullivan btw). Like the top 1/3 of your card and I think a cruiserweight Battle Royale is more original than just another Ulimate X type match. Main Event is excellent and you didn't even need the Bruce Hart angle, but it's just a nice added creative bit.

@Live in the Now: Love some of the older guys you drafted and like how your incorporated some of the Japanese guys here. Really like the Fatal Fourway and your first tag team match is for me the better of the two. Like that you had two tag team matches as well, though I would have broken them up. Not so sure I'd love Angle vs Vader from a build standpoint, but it'd be interesting in the ring, but I'd enjoy Piper vs Funk and if I didn't the build would be worth it. Like the idea around Douglas, AA and Ciampa, but perhaps it could have had a bit more story behind it. Love the Midnight Express and Cornette. Considering your card and who you drafted along with my approach, love that this is something that you really wanted to see/make and none of it feels like you just put it together to make up your card.
Sullivan vs Val is something I thought of pretty quick actually. I had a lot of trouble with Bigelow and finding a story for him. A lot of my WCW penciled picks all went subsequently late to my surprise, and I ran out of options for a credible opponent for him higher up on the card.
One of my bigger fears was the possibility of people not knowing Bockwinkel was at one time the on-screen WCW president and thinking I just slapped the title on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad