HF Wrestling Draft - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think drafting a tag team and having to use them as a tag team helps the main event rule too. Like if you drafted the rock and sock connection then you have to use them as a tag team you can’t have the rock Be in a singles match.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I definitely like the idea of punishments on subsequent picks for those who go over time.

Slater is correct on the tag team rules. If there was a prior list of accepted reputable promotions involving world champions, I'd like to see it posted officially in the rules.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I was thinking you could 2-3 per day on a first come, first serve basis. Or better yet, as guys pull out and say they're done with their cards, you could have guys make 2-3 picks more than once per day so long as the other participants have also picked. I guess my take would be this:

• Start with even round order.
  • Two picks per person.
  • Just keep following the snake draft. So if C, B and then A draft, if the window is still open C can draft again and so on. Then the next day you just pick up where you left off.
  • You could also shorten the time limit to say 6 hours.

I hear you, but I think there has to be a reasonable limit in place. I work and I have a shifting schedule at times. I can't necessarily always be on while I'm at work either. That said I've done a lot of soccer drafts and am completely reliable. Punishing tardiness also keeps up the pace in my experience. I would suggest the following:

• 8 hour time limit minimum.
  • No draft window, or at least a larger window if you're going to have one.
  • If you go past 8 hours, you drop down to a 7 hour time limit. Next offense 6 hours and so on. Something like that.

I don't really like that for free agency. I think that it worked perfectly fine before, but people who pick too many wrestlers at once should just have those picks considered invalid. No need to keep up draft order in what is dubbed a free agency period and is meant to only finish off various cards. Regarding the time I don't expect most to agree with my tight time window, but eight hours basically kills a day of the draft and when it happens repeatedly it's days of delay. I fully expect that it will remain eight, which isn't a particularly egregious number. I also expect that a sliding clock for some people would just add confusion. Someone who can't make picks within eight hours likely isn't going to pay attention to losing an hour, and the people in the draft probably aren't going to remember who has how much time remaining. Perhaps I am just overly pessimistic.

Figured major promotion was WWF, WCW, ECW, New Japan, and TNA.

There should just be a list. The AWA for instance was definitely a bigger promotion than ECW even though ECW is more fondly remembered today. All Japan was also pretty huge in the 90s (basically the equal of New Japan at the time) and I assume that WCW covers the NWA as well otherwise that it a huge pseudo promotion in an all time sense. This should be something that is very easy to resolve though as nearly any list is fine as long as it is clear.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I definitely like the idea of punishments on subsequent picks for those who go over time.

Slater is correct on the tag team rules. If there was a prior list of accepted reputable promotions involving world champions, I'd like to see it posted officially in the rules.

I don’t think going over time was a problem last year. Our biggest draft issue was someone who signed up that wasn’t active to the board, ignored his 1st round pick and thus we replaced him immediately.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The rules are great as is. I prefer one draft than the two pools but it is a smart solution to cater to a bigger group if there's numbers. But under 20 I'd prefer one draft not split pools.

Completely against card switching, not keen on that at all.

There already is trades, just of wrestlers only and it's fine. The reason, as I understand it, we've never had pick trades is because it gets complicated and there's already a lot to manage so fair enough.

I like the tag team rules (no world champions from WWE, ECW, WCW, TNA) and that they need to be used as a team if you draft them as one. I wouldn't mind though possibly just having a team count as one pick rather than needing to use two picks. The rules we've evolved to have eliminated people abusing tag teams to hoard big names and if we're using them as one entity then to me it makes sense to just be one pick.

Only for two man teams though.

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t think going over time was a problem last year. Our biggest draft issue was someone who signed up that wasn’t active to the board, ignored his 1st round pick and thus we replaced him immediately.

Yeah we had very few issues last year. We don’t need massive overhauls. Everything was working as intended.

Just clarify the tag rules and we should be fine.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Alright so we are currently 14, I will think things over for the rules that were discussed in this thread. I'm currently hosting a mock draft on the Habs board so we will start shortly after that one is over!

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
14 is a decent number, 16 makes it even for a tournament-style vote unless you rework a bracket

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This worked last year...
so I am trying...
again...
to summon the one poster...
who can create a card...
that baffles...
and amazes me...
with its scope and...
detail...
the one...