HF Wrestling Draft 2018 - Discussion Thread #2

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Hey guys. Seeing as I lost in the first round I would like to ask you to play a little game. If you had my roster what matches would you make.

Okada
Jericho
Jeff Hardy
Matt Hardy
Christian
British Bulldog
Adam Cole
Jimmy Snuka
Pentagon Dark
Goldust
Vampiro
Bob Orton
Bobby Lashley
Monster Matanza
Steve Blackman
Shane McMahon
Chief Jay Strongbow
Kung Kong Bundy
Jinder Mahal
Hurricane Helms
Tye Dillinger
Angélico
Son of Havoc
Joey Ryan
Doink the Clown
Singh brothers
Dario Cueto
Ivelisse

Ladder match
Hardcore match
Ironman match
Honestly, you made everyone as sensible as can be. You're not losing, hes winning, really.

That said, I wouldn't presume and your card need not be fixed or improved IMO. Warrior is my guy for almost 30 years, i am only sorry for instances like this :/

@quopourquoi is another one i feel real bad voting against. Like last year, it came down to the opponents wrestling part of the card being good enough to beat the grandiose show, which he def didn't out do Terrible Ted, Britannica, and the rest the grandiose dept.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Okada vs. Jericho

Pentagon vs. Bob Orton
(he breaks his arm, of course)

Ladder Match
Hardys vs. Angelico & Son of Havoc w/ Ivelisse

Ironman Match
Adam Cole vs. Christian vs. Davey Boy Smith

King Kong Bundy vs. Matanza w/ Dario

Mahal & Singhs vs. Doink & Hurricane & Goldust

Hardcore Match
Shane McMahon vs. Vampiro

Bobby Lashley vs. Steve Blackman

Officer Joey Ryan vs. Jimmy Snuka

Dillinger vs. Strongbow

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm not sure what I would make the card with that roster.

I liked Okada/Jericho, I'd keep that.

Cole, Christian and Hardy were wasted in that multi-man ladder match, imo.

Think Bulldog was also wasted with Jinder. It was mentioned that Jinder is pretty much a jobber here, and that's true. I would have rather seen Bulldog vs. Lashley or something like that.

Would have been good to see the Hardys team up like in @quoipourquoi's card above. I would have had Shane just do a one-on-one stunt fest with someone as well like qpq did. Cole and Christian should have really been in their own match. QPQ has them in a triple-threat with Bulldog, but I would have been excited to see that one-on-one as well in an ironman match.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Thanks for the input guys. I really do appreciate it. I feel my card this year is vastly improved over my terrible care last year. Was just looking for ideas as to what I can do to improve for next year. I have taken many mental notes.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is my take on Habsrule's card, along with some thoughts. I like the way that he set it up for the most part and quoipourquoi did a good job as well. I thought of doing something with McMahon and his WWE guys vs Cueto and his Lucha guys, but the numbers were too skewed. This is a rough order, I didn't really consider match order too much.

Jericho vs Okada (Iron Man): Probably the best main event here, doesn't need to change.

Christian vs Cole w. Orton: I am a big Christian fan and he is especially valuable because he is a great face, while most great wrestlers are far better as heels. Christian vs Cole is for the IC type belt. Cole is a bit lacking physically so he gets Orton as his bodyguard to add some menace, and I don't like Orton as an actual wrestler anyway.

Matanza w. Cueto vs Bundy: Same as in the original, it looks good to me.

Jeff Hardy vs Matt Hardy vs Snuka vs Shane McMahon (Ladder): It's difficult to build around the Hardys as a tag team because there isn't really another team that should be viewed as on their level. This puts them as singles wrestlers, they are feuding (Matt is V1 Matt, the best Matt) and Snuka is a good fit for a ladder match, plus the novelty is that he never did one before. McMahon gets thrown in because he can do spots, and though I hate him in matches he can be hidden with three other guys in the match.

Bulldog vs Lashley: Power fest, but it has to be young Bulldog so that there is some movement in the match

Strongbow and Jinder Mahal vs Angelico and Son of Havoc vs Helms and Dillinger: I really like the Perfect Storm tag team. Angelico and Son of Havoc are faces as far as I know, which makes for seemingly two face tag teams. That's probably not ideal but I couldn't find the space for a second tag match (though I did consider Vampiro and Doink as a tag team that was basically the nghtmare of children everywhere). Strongbow and Jinder are basically anchors in my eyes with limited value, so I put them together as reformed but unapologetic "Indians" who admit that they were frauds but would do it again if they could. Strongbow was of Italian ancestry and Mahal is Canadian. Stylistically one powerhouse team and two speedy teams could work, but this admittedly isn't an ideal match.

Pentagon vs Blackman vs Vampiro vs Doink (Hardcore): Pentagon and Vampiro make sense as hardcore guys. I've seen Matt Borne (Doink) in a somewhat hardcore match (there was decent blood anyway) and Doink could be menacing. I would consider using his "Borne Again" ECW gimmick. Blackman is here because he has to be somewhere, and it could be funny if this serious guy was thrown into a hardcore bloodbath with three crazy characters. He also had the longest reign as WWF Hardcore Champion, so there's that "prestige" in play.

Goldust vs Joey Ryan: Just a ridiculous match. I really liked the Golden Deletion though. I would make this something like Goldust calls Ryan on his ridiculous sexual stuff and takes it to a new, uncomfortable level that has Ryan actually demurring.

As a minor point, I would have preferred Wahoo McDaniel to Chief Jay Strongbow if a native gimmick was needed. McDaniel was by most accounts quite good, but Strongbow wasn't.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
This is my take on Habsrule's card, along with some thoughts. I like the way that he set it up for the most part and quoipourquoi did a good job as well. I thought of doing something with McMahon and his WWE guys vs Cueto and his Lucha guys, but the numbers were too skewed. This is a rough order, I didn't really consider match order too much.

Jericho vs Okada (Iron Man): Probably the best main event here, doesn't need to change.

Christian vs Cole w. Orton: I am a big Christian fan and he is especially valuable because he is a great face, while most great wrestlers are far better as heels. Christian vs Cole is for the IC type belt. Cole is a bit lacking physically so he gets Orton as his bodyguard to add some menace, and I don't like Orton as an actual wrestler anyway.

Matanza w. Cueto vs Bundy: Same as in the original, it looks good to me.

Jeff Hardy vs Matt Hardy vs Snuka vs Shane McMahon (Ladder): It's difficult to build around the Hardys as a tag team because there isn't really another team that should be viewed as on their level. This puts them as singles wrestlers, they are feuding (Matt is V1 Matt, the best Matt) and Snuka is a good fit for a ladder match, plus the novelty is that he never did one before. McMahon gets thrown in because he can do spots, and though I hate him in matches he can be hidden with three other guys in the match.

Bulldog vs Lashley: Power fest, but it has to be young Bulldog so that there is some movement in the match

Strongbow and Jinder Mahal vs Angelico and Son of Havoc vs Helms and Dillinger: I really like the Perfect Storm tag team. Angelico and Son of Havoc are faces as far as I know, which makes for seemingly two face tag teams. That's probably not ideal but I couldn't find the space for a second tag match (though I did consider Vampiro and Doink as a tag team that was basically the nghtmare of children everywhere). Strongbow and Jinder are basically anchors in my eyes with limited value, so I put them together as reformed but unapologetic "Indians" who admit that they were frauds but would do it again if they could. Strongbow was of Italian ancestry and Mahal is Canadian. Stylistically one powerhouse team and two speedy teams could work, but this admittedly isn't an ideal match.

Pentagon vs Blackman vs Vampiro vs Doink (Hardcore): Pentagon and Vampiro make sense as hardcore guys. I've seen Matt Borne (Doink) in a somewhat hardcore match (there was decent blood anyway) and Doink could be menacing. I would consider using his "Borne Again" ECW gimmick. Blackman is here because he has to be somewhere, and it could be funny if this serious guy was thrown into a hardcore bloodbath with three crazy characters. He also had the longest reign as WWF Hardcore Champion, so there's that "prestige" in play.

Goldust vs Joey Ryan: Just a ridiculous match. I really liked the Golden Deletion though. I would make this something like Goldust calls Ryan on his ridiculous sexual stuff and takes it to a new, uncomfortable level that has Ryan actually demurring.

As a minor point, I would have preferred Wahoo McDaniel to Chief Jay Strongbow if a native gimmick was needed. McDaniel was by most accounts quite good, but Strongbow wasn't.

Thank you very much. Great card by the way.

And also Chief Jay Strongbow was never a target of mine. Tatanka was. Problem was that he was drafted before I could have picked him. I suspected that I could have drafted him a lot later but he went in the 18th round.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The correct main event would have to be Okada vs Bulldog in my eyes. Bulldog was amazing when he had someone leading him (Bret and Owen being the best), and he's easily capable of keeping up with Okada pre-injuries. The match would be fantastic.

Reactions: M.C.G. 31

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Thank you very much. Great card by the way.

And also Chief Jay Strongbow was never a target of mine. Tatanka was. Problem was that he was drafted before I could have picked him. I suspected that I could have drafted him a lot later but he went in the 18th round.

Fair. I was shocked at when some wrestlers went. I thought for sure that I could get Magnum TA 100 picks after he went.

The correct main event would have to be Okada vs Bulldog in my eyes. Bulldog was amazing when he had someone leading him (Bret and Owen being the best), and he's easily capable of keeping up with Okada pre-injuries. The match would be fantastic.

Are you by any chance British?

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Another draft where Ray Stevens goes undrafted. You people disappoint me.
I haven't seen the much of Stevens.
My main exposure to him is those in the business heaping praise on top of him to a ridiculous degree.

I will have to take the plunge and view some.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Another draft where Ray Stevens goes undrafted. You people disappoint me.

He was drafted last year. I considered him for a tag team but went another route. Probably the most underrated guy in recent times, probably the wrestler from the 1970s (and 60s I guess) that wrestling today most takes after.

With the first round concluded it looks to me like there are three legitimate contenders to win. Interesting to see how it goes. I do know which card (other than my own) will always be getting my vote going forward.

I am also curious about something. I considered three of my picks (Sunny, Keith Lee, Prince of Wrestling) to be pretty big reaches when I took them, but I didn't want to risk losing them as I needed them for what I wanted and didn't have ready backups. Did anyone have plans to draft Sunny or Keith Lee anywhere near the 12th and 13th rounds? I noticed at some point that HandsomeHollywood was aware of the Prince due to the text under his avatar so that was what prompted that pick, because I really didn't expect people to know of or recall his existence.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Some good match ups this time. I suspect that I will be eliminated and that only one of the votes will be particularly close but it's a strong round. Live in the Now vs Morozov is a particularly good match up.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
In a rush to lose?

just-bring-it-gif-11.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad