• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hard to figure how Yurov can be judged so highly. Must be the mysterious “Russian factor”. I mean, he barely played last year.
Put Marat down again, hoping that he is fast enough to skate out of trouble. At worst, we might have another Erik Haula on our hands, which isn’t it all that bad.

I will have Peart much higher than most, I think.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Hard to figure how Yurov can be judged so highly. Must be the mysterious “Russian factor”. I mean, he barely played last year.
Put Marat down again, hoping that he is fast enough to skate out of trouble. At worst, we might have another Erik Haula on our hands, which isn’t it all that bad.

I will have Peart much higher than most, I think.
I think Yurov has a pretty high ceiling and he put up 12 points in 59 games in the KHL season while being strangled in ice-time. What would he have done in a 2nd line role with regular minutes rather than a 4th line role averaging 7:36 minutes per game? I think he'd have put up significant points for players his age, that's why.

I'm with you on Khusnutdinov at this point. I have a tier starting at #5 of Marat, Stramel and Ohgren, and I think Marat's the most tested and proven of the bunch.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Marat led his team in shifts during the playoffs and was the #1PK center. He had a >50 FO% and clearly earned the trust of the coaches throughout the season to get such an elevated status as a 20 year old.

He didn’t put up a ton of points or generate many SOGs during the playoffs, but I think he’s clearly ahead of Ohgren right now.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
@Circulartheory I was hoping to hear that case to be made about Ohgren over Marat
I have Khusnutdinov over Ohgren, but here’s a few things I think one could make an argument for:

-Ohgren has much better size which should help him in certain situations (board battles, net front, puck protection, etc)
-Ohgren has a better shot.
-Ohgren has never had a bad playoff showing. We need players that up their game for the important games.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Marat led his team in shifts during the playoffs and was the #1PK center. He had a >50 FO% and clearly earned the trust of the coaches throughout the season to get such an elevated status as a 20 year old.

He didn’t put up a ton of points or generate many SOGs during the playoffs, but I think he’s clearly ahead of Ohgren right now.
I keep forgetting that Rossi is old for his draft class, which throws me for a loop when he is 21 and Khusnutdinov is 20 but they are from the same draft class.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I have Khusnutdinov over Ohgren, but here’s a few things I think one could make an argument for:

-Ohgren has much better size which should help him in certain situations (board battles, net front, puck protection, etc)
-Ohgren has never had a bad playoff showing. We need players that up their game for the important games.
Size and shot are definitely fair counterpoints. Ohgren is a year and a half younger too, so he’s got time to develop before a 1 to 1 comparison is fair. This upcoming season should give a clearer picture of what kind of player Ohgren can be at a professional level.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I think these are all valid but I'm not seeing enough to put him over Marat yet. When you consider that Marat is doing this in the KHL and Ohgren is doing it in Allsvenskan, the gap only gets bigger.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Ohgren. Seems like he can do a lot of things offensively. Good shooter, but not just a shooter, good passer, decent boardwork, nice, not great, size. OK skater… will be interesting to see how much he can improve on it. Moving up to the SHL will be just the thing for him. I am sure that they will demand more from him defensively, but hopefully not at the expense of his offense.

He, Yurov, Boldy, Stramel….that’s some decent size to offset the smaller players like Rossi, Marat, and Heidt. If Beckman fills out then him, too. He looks every bit of 6’1”.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Here's my question about Marat K. How much of it his points him being good and how much of was him being on the best team in the the league? SKA was #1 seed for the Playoffs and scored 29 more goals on the season than the next closest team.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Here's my question about Marat K. How much of it his points him being good and how much of was him being on the best team in the the league? SKA was #1 seed for the Playoffs and scored 29 more goals on the season than the next closest team.

Yeah it's a valid point but the part I'm impressed with is he's playing in that teams top six at 20. That's rare for the KHL. The production is really a secondary consideration.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
@Circulartheory I was hoping to hear that case to be made about Ohgren over Marat
Lunch was first!

So to preface, I had Yurov clearly above Ohgren and Khusnutdinov. Then if I had a choice, it would be Ohgren 5A, Khusnutdinov 5B, so I'm easily swayed to swap them based on how I'm feeling that day :)

So let's start off with Khusnutidinov. He's doing great with 41 points in 63 regular season games in the KHL. Love the fact he plays all forward positions, takes faceoffs, plays both PP and PK. But this is is where I start having a pause - he's only 5'9" and his selling point was never his high-end offensive side, its been his versatility and 200-foot game. And as he has never scored at a notable offensive rate in juniors or pro (his 41 points is great for his age but I wouldn't say its at the 1st line rate yet), I think he might ultimately settle as a 2nd line versatile forward. Almost like a more talented Gaudreau. Not comparing the players themselves but more like the usage, he's going to move up and down lineup, add speed but responsible play whever he goes and at the very least by key on the 2nd teams. Might even be an alternative captain one day.

That brings us to Ohgren, decent point production (if you add his qualification games, he produced 33 points in 53 games) but not as skilled or fast as Khusnutdinov. But he's still good a great shot, he also plays both wing/center, and he's 6-1 196lbs. He brings more bite and probably a safer bet at being an effective NHL. And because of his all-round game with a defined shot, you can plug him with a talented playmaker and I think he may ultimately out produce Khusnitdinov.

Essentially, I see two VERY different style of players but end of with similar usage (one smaller but faster swiss-army knife and one bigger tenacious with a shot). Both are going to be top nine forwards. Both are versatile, both can play center/wing, both are going to be useful on special teams, both have captain material.

I can see a Kaprizov - Yurov - Ohgren, Johansson - Khusnutinov - Boldy set up.

Reactions: BagHead and AKL

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Lunch was first!

So to preface, I had Yurov clearly above Ohgren and Khusnutdinov. Then if I had a choice, it would be Ohgren 5A, Khusnutdinov 5B, so I'm easily swayed to swap them based on how I'm feeling that day :)

So let's start off with Khusnutidinov. He's doing great with 41 points in 63 regular season games in the KHL. Love the fact he plays all forward positions, takes faceoffs, plays both PP and PK. But this is is where I start having a pause - he's only 5'9" and his selling point was never his high-end offensive side, its been his versatility and 200-foot game. And as he has never scored at a notable offensive rate in juniors or pro (his 41 points is great for his age but I wouldn't say its at the 1st line rate yet), I think he might ultimately settle as a 2nd line versatile forward. Almost like a more talented Gaudreau. Not comparing the players themselves but more like the usage, he's going to move up and down lineup, add speed but responsible play whever he goes and at the very least by key on the 2nd teams. Might even be an alternative captain one day.

That brings us to Ohgren, decent point production (if you add his qualification games, he produced 33 points in 53 games) but not as skilled or fast as Khusnutdinov. But he's still good a great shot, he also plays both wing/center, and he's 6-1 196lbs. He brings more bite and probably a safer bet at being an effective NHL. And because of his all-round game with a defined shot, you can plug him with a talented playmaker and I think he may ultimately out produce Khusnitdinov.

Essentially, I see two VERY different style of players but end of with similar usage (one smaller but faster swiss-army knife and one bigger tenacious with a shot). Both are going to be top nine forwards. Both are versatile, both can play center/wing, both are going to be useful on special teams, both have captain material.

I can see a Kaprizov - Yurov - Ohgren, Johansson - Khusnutinov - Boldy set up.
parksandrec-ronswanson.gif

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m with you here. He has NHL precision already
What I like is his skating, that he looked to have grown a bit, and that he raised the level of his game under pressure in the post season. Like Faber, he is a late bday, so you can expect growth later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad