• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If his name was Faberov and he was an obscure KHL product who waltzed into the lineup and played great in the playoffs I think certain people would be more excited.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
lol Those videos are embarrassing and nerdy.

Since you mentioned being intrigued, I'll share my experience. Making the videos is a lot of tedious work. I only started to hit a groove after about a year, but by then I was burning out. To make my videos I'd first have to create a deck, which took upwards of 10-20 hours, depending on the complexity of the thing, and then I'd have to write a script, check for factual errors in the scrip and the deck I'd built (inevitably missing plenty of them and getting told so in the comments), edit the script. record the audio, edit the audio, download hundreds of pictures, put each one into the video in just the right place to line up with what I was saying using video editing software, and then the video was done. But the work wasn't, because then I'd have to create a thumbnail (I used my own photo editing skills, which are limited), research relevant keywords in similar videos to rate highly for the YouTube algorithm, make a title and description and, finally, upload.

So each video represents at least 50 hours of work, some more (especially the first one, before I really knew what I was doing), and the monetary reward was infinitesimal. I earned some small amount of money for it, but it would have been far more lucrative to just work second job at minimum wage for a year and a half. It didn't help my cause that I was adverse to making clickbait. I hate clickbait passionately, and I won't be a part of the problem. Of course, it wasn't all about the money for me, either. In fact, I sort of wish I'd never started worrying about money in the first place, it ruined most of the enjoyment. The first 20 or so videos I made were a lot of fun to record and produce, but after that I should have just started making them when I felt the itch to, rather than do it as regular content, algorithm be damned.

If you're still wanting to see the end product despite my warnings, here you are. They're really not worth watching unless you're into MTG, and even then I'm not sure of their value. I fully expect to be made fun of around here until the end of HFBoards for this.

You're right. They are super nerdy, but who cares? I used to be big into MTG when I was younger, though unfortunately it's a surprisingly costly hobby.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
You're right. They are super nerdy, but who cares? I used to be big into MTG when I was younger, though unfortunately it's a surprisingly costly hobby.
Remarkably costly. Of the decks I made videos for, I actually own just one of them, and the rest are all builds I've done digitally, for free. The sheer cost of the damn hobby is why I always included a budget in the videos.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Remarkably costly. Of the decks I made videos for, I actually own just one of them, and the rest are all builds I've done digitally, for free. The sheer cost of the damn hobby is why I always included a budget in the videos.

I know a guy that sells cards and makes a good amount of money doing it. MTG always seemed expensive to me from the outside looking in. It also seems too nuanced for me when I could just be hitting something with a wrench and have just as much fun.

I've done a little research into making videos. Mostly because the kid was about 2 nerves away from me making channel to outdo her random channel of whatever just out of spite. The most interesting thing I learned was there are people who have turned making thumbnails into their fulltime job.

I give credit to anyone that is a content creator. There is a lot more involved than just take a 10 min video and the just post that 10 min video and be done with everything in 15 mins.

And to add to what @Puhis said. It takes guts to put yourself out there like that. Own it and be proud of it, and whatever it's worth I'm proud of you for making your content.

Reactions: BagHead

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If his name was Faberov and he was an obscure KHL product who waltzed into the lineup and played great in the playoffs I think certain people would be more excited.
I know people are amped about him, but he really didn't do anything that made him stand out much from a guy like Jon Merrill. I don't know where this "played great" comes into context. Great for a guy his age? Absolutely. Great compared to the rest of the playoff defenders? Meh.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I know people are amped about him, but he really didn't do anything that made him stand out much from a guy like Jon Merrill. I don't know where this "played great" comes into context. Great for a guy his age? Absolutely. Great compared to the rest of the playoff defenders? Meh.
We must’ve been watching a different series.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Merrill and Faber 5v5 during the playoffs:
-Relatively the same corsi for %
-Relatively the same shots for %
-Relatively the same expected goals for %
-Exact same GF%
-Exact same GA

The only moment I remember vividly from either is Faber having to dive at a puck so he wouldn't get scored on. Klingberg was ready by game 3, so Merrill didn't play after that.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Merrill and Faber 5v5 during the playoffs:
-Relatively the same corsi for %
-Relatively the same shots for %
-Relatively the same expected goals for %
-Exact same GF%
-Exact same GA

The only moment I remember vividly from either is Faber having to dive at a puck so he wouldn't get scored on. Klingberg was ready by game 3, so Merrill didn't play after that.
Weren’t they on the same pairing?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

This is where I'm at. He was fine in a sheltered 6D role, but nothing special compared to the other Wild d-men in the Playoffs. His 5v5 game was an upgrade over Addison, for sure.

He did really well for a 20yo just off the bus from college, no argument there from me.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Faber had more games with Klingberg than with Merrill.

So he played the first two games with Merrill, explaining why they have similar numbers.

Faber playing 4 more games with Klingberg on top of that without his 5-on-5 metrics taking a hit? That sounds like a glowing endorsement.

Reactions: MNRube
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad