HF Top Prospects, 11-20

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Couturier higher than a bunch of prospects taken in front of him and players that have arguably looked better than him in preseason/training camp. Interesting.

This is exactly what I came in here to write. Makes 0 sense having Couturier that high.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Why exactly is Couturier ranked above everyone drafted above him except Larsson, Huberdeau, and RNH?

I thought we all saw him fall to 8th. What has happened since the draft to put him significantly ahead of 4 guys taken above him?

snapabrahamsnap

Aug 20, 2009
I don't see what's so bad. I think Granlund should be in the top 10 (and top 5 at that) and Kusznestov should be higher but that's about it. All of these guys could be ranked anywhere between 11 and 20 and people would still complain.

Somehow i'm not surprised to see Couturier at 11.

Also... Where is Hamonic? Is he really top 10??

I remember reading that they excluded both Hamonic and Reimer because they thought they were both so close to graduated from the list that there was no point.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Why exactly is Couturier ranked above everyone drafted above him except Larsson, Huberdeau, and RNH?

I thought we all saw him fall to 8th. What has happened since the draft to put him significantly ahead of 4 guys taken above him?

In that case, should we simply compile a list of players who haven't appeared in the NHL based on draft order from the pervious three years?

I'm sure these rankings are based on the same combination of ceiling and certainty that are used for the rest of the HF ratings. Landeskog was widely viewed as the the most NHL ready player in the draft, but compared to the other picks around him, his ceiling was (fairly or not) judged to be a bit more limited--consisted top line potential, but not superstardom, or something to that effect.

Couturier's ceiling might be viewed as a bit higher. Mostly, though, its a two spot different. I really don't see the issue.

Grandlund not being in the top 10, however, I can't explain. I guess its the inversion of the Couturier-Landeskog thing--he's viewed as much less of a sure thing than say RNH. I'm not sure I agree, given that he's arguably proved more than anyone on the list, but that's probably the line of thought.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
In that case, should we simply compile a list of players who haven't appeared in the NHL based on draft order from the pervious three years?

I'm sure these rankings are based on the same combination of ceiling and certainty that are used for the rest of the HF ratings. Landeskog was widely viewed as the the most NHL ready player in the draft, but compared to the other picks around him, his ceiling was (fairly or not) judged to be a bit more limited--consisted top line potential, but not superstardom, or something to that effect.

Couturier's ceiling might be viewed as a bit higher. Mostly, though, its a two spot different. I really don't see the issue.

Grandlund not being in the top 10, however, I can't explain. I guess its the inversion of the Couturier-Landeskog thing--he's viewed as much less of a sure thing than say RNH. I'm not sure I agree, given that he's arguably proved more than anyone on the list, but that's probably the line of thought.

no but he JUST got drafted at 8 and is ranked 4th here. I can't see how any prospect has done enough from the draft to today to make taht kind of jump.

Unless you are saying HF>> NHL scouts

and did Lehner not make the top 50? and Markstrom is that high in comparison?

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Couturier higher than a bunch of prospects taken in front of him and players that have arguably looked better than him in preseason/training camp. Interesting.

Couturier through 2 REGULAR season games has been nothing short of amazing defensively. He has been paired with Max Talbot on the top PK unit and has already been called by Peter Laviolette the "Flyers best defensive forward". He is also being used in the final minutes of the game to protect leads. Each game he plays, he looks better and better. I initially thought that he would be on the Flyers for a 9 game look and then sent back to Juniors, because he didn't seem that impressive in the preseason. But I quickly changed my opinion after watching him against Boston and New Jersey when the games really counted. Once he begins to fill in his 6'4" frame, he will be a considered a perennial Selke candidate.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
no but he JUST got drafted at 8 and is ranked 4th here. I can't see how any prospect has done enough from the draft to today to make taht kind of jump.

Unless you are saying HF>> NHL scouts

and did Lehner not make the top 50? and Markstrom is that high in comparison?

I suspect Lehner is in the top 10, not Bernier--who I assume has graduated (but someone above said no, so I guess we will have to wait and see).

I'm not saying that HF > NHL Scouts, but not all NHL scouts had Couturier at 8. There is a reason that he was widely viewed as a potential 1-2 pick coming in to last year, and even on draft day his slide to 8 was a surprise. He slipped, in part due to mono, in part due to the emergence of other prospects, but that he dropped that far was a bit of a surprise.

Again, I don't think the list should simply be a matter of their draft position adjusted for graduations. Even just for last year, that would put Landeskog and Huberdeau ahead of Larsson--which I don't think most people would agree with, right?

The truth is, I suspect most of the prospects in any particular group of 10 are largely interchangeable.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Couturier through 2 REGULAR season games has been nothing short of amazing defensively. He has been paired with Max Talbot on the top PK unit and has already been called by Peter Laviolette the "Flyers best defensive forward". He is also being used in the final minutes of the game to protect leads. Each game he plays, he looks better and better. I initially thought that he would be on the Flyers for a 9 game look and then sent back to Juniors, because he didn't seem that impressive in the preseason. But I quickly changed my opinion after watching him against Boston and New Jersey when the games really counted. Once he begins to fill in his 6'4" frame, he will be a considered a perennial Selke candidate.

Zibanejad has been one of Ottawa's best defensive forwards, very physical, and he's been good in the offensive zone as well. Scheifele has been one of Winnipeg's best players. Etc. etc.

There's really no reason for HF to put Couturier ahead of guys that were drafted ahead of him and have been just as good, if not better, in the NHL so far.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
There's really no reason for HF to put Couturier ahead of guys that were drafted ahead of him and have been just as good, if not better, in the NHL so far.

By most accounts, both Landeskog and Larsson have played well. Do you think Landeskog should be ranked ahead of Larsson because he was selected two picks higher?

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Zibanejad has been one of Ottawa's best defensive forwards, very physical, and he's been good in the offensive zone as well. Scheifele has been one of Winnipeg's best players. Etc. etc.

Zibanejad SHTOI/gm: 0:20
Scheifele SHTOI/gm: 0:33
Couturier SHTOI/gm: 4:19

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
The only thing is Granlund shouldn't be in the 20-11 range. He should easily be in the top ten with everything he has accomplished since being drafted. To put up a ppg in a mens league for an 18 year old is very impressive, and then this year he is doing even better. Way to low for him

Absolutely agree with you. Granlund should be a top 10 possibly top 5. Other than that most of the players on that list could be anywhere from 11-20. Courtier does seem a little high. He should be around 15-20. But like I said they are all pretty interchangeable.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Zibanejad SHTOI/gm: 0:20
Scheifele SHTOI/gm: 0:33
Couturier SHTOI/gm: 4:19

ITT short handed time on ice is indicative of which prospect has been playing better.

Mika Zibanejad
Hits - 6
Giveaways - 0
Takeaways - 1
Faceoffs won - 8
Faceoffs lost - 11
Points - 1
PP TOI - 4:22

Sean Couturier
Hits - 1
Giveaways - 1
Takeaways - 0
Faceoffs won - 7
Faceoffs lost - 12
Points - 0
PP TOI - 0:54

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Now Put them down IF
-You haven't been a PPG player in a men's pro league.
-You haven't led your team in scoring during the playoffs enroute to a championship.
-You weren't a PPG player in the IIHF World Championships, while being one of the youngest players against mostly NHLers.
-You weren't one of the top players on your Gold Medal IIHF team
-You aren't currently leading scoring at a 2 point per game clip, and leading your Men's pro League in points, despite being only 19 years.

Anyone left? Oh just you Granlund, yep 12th best prospect only...

Prospects raise your hands IF
-You are a midget
-You are slow
-You love to dive which would be a problem in the NHL

Ok sir state your name.
Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiikael Granlund

How do you spell that sir?
M-I-K-A-E-L G-R-A-N-L-U-N-D

:sarcasm:

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
ITT short handed time on ice is indicative of which prospect has been playing better.

Mika Zibanejad
Hits - 6
Giveaways - 0
Takeaways - 1
Faceoffs won - 8
Faceoffs lost - 11
Points - 1

Sean Couturier
Hits - 1
Giveaways - 1
Takeaways - 0
Faceoffs won - 7
Faceoffs lost - 12
Points - 0

Offensively, Couturier has a ways to go. But the Flyers forwards >> Sens forwards (or Jets forwards for that matter). It's gonna be much harder for Couturier to break into the top 2 PP units then Zibanejad (or Scheifele). But again, defensively, Couturier has been great.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I don't see what's so bad. I think Granlund should be in the top 10 (and top 5 at that) and Kusznestov should be higher but that's about it. All of these guys could be ranked anywhere between 11 and 20 and people would still complain.

Somehow i'm not surprised to see Couturier at 11.

Also... Where is Hamonic? Is he really top 10??

They added a note that they wouldn't include Hamonic because he was going to graduate very soon after the season started. Otherwise, he would have been on there.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Who looked better than him in preseason/training camp? He made the team, something only he, RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Zibanejad, Scheifele, and Saad can say. And the team Couturier made is probably the 2nd deepest in terms of depth on offense, behind the Hawks. And that's even debatable considering Couturier made it as a center where we already have Briere, Giroux, Talbot, and Schenn.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Mika Zibanejad
Hits - 6
Giveaways - 0
Takeaways - 1
Faceoffs won - 8
Faceoffs lost - 11
Points - 1

Sean Couturier
Hits - 1
Giveaways - 1
Takeaways - 0
Faceoffs won - 7
Faceoffs lost - 12
Points - 0

I like your selective use of stats. Of course Zibanejad is going to have more PP time because Ottawa's depth sucks whereas Couturier doesn't have to play PP because we've got more depth offensively. Looking at hits, giveaways, takeaways, and points after 2 games is telling us literally nothing.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Prospects raise your hands IF
-You are a midget
-You are slow
-You love to dive which would be a problem in the NHL

Ok sir state your name.
Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiikael Granlund

How do you spell that sir?
M-I-K-A-E-L G-R-A-N-L-U-N-D

:sarcasm:

Sidney Crosby?

5'11", while not slow, doesn't have wheels like Gaborik and people accuse him of diving.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
There are not more than five to eight prospects in the world that compare to Kuznetsov.

What's his ranking on this list again?

Yeah that's real real bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad