Prospect Info: HF Top 50 NHL Prospects (Spring Edition) - Connor Brown at #50.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Most of the top 50 are recent top picks or players who were drafted in the 1st or second round 3-5 years ago or that odd late round pick. Had Kadri and Rielly still been considered prospects (for example the top 10 has Trouba, Murray, etc.) then we would have 3 in the top 50 which would be above average. I don't know about you but I rather have players graduate to the NHL than have them on a meaningless list.

so brown stays at 50 when you include kadri, rielly and the other players who now qualify?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Trouba and Murray still meet the prospect criteria for hfboards? Barkov is first and he spent the entire year with Florida as well, which makes him a questionable "prospect".

I'd take Finn and Percy over Beaulieu, but without Rielly we don't have much of a shot at the top 30 prospects right now.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Josh Leivo and Matt Finn might be long shots to make the top 40.

HF's bi-annual lists are kind of nuts sometimes.

You can tell the wrestle with how to rank guys with high ceilings but lower odds of hitting the NHL (ex: Brown) against guys with more moderate ceilings but higher odds of hitting the NHL (ex: Percy).

Personally I think Finn/Leivo have ceilings just as high as Brown's (I think Brown's ceiling is more of a 2nd liner then a 1st liner), but also better shots at making the NHL. In saying that, I don't at all expect them to be in the Top 40, but IMO they should both be ahead of Brown.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Connor Brown looks like Brad Boyes 2.0 to me.

Prolific junior scoring, but kind of small and game won't transition as well to the NHL. Might make a good tweener winger / occasional callup

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Connor Brown looks like Brad Boyes 2.0 to me.

Prolific junior scoring, but kind of small and game won't transition as well to the NHL. Might make a good tweener winger / occasional callup

Brad Boyes does absolutely fine at NHL level, he's had some damn good offensive seasons.

But you do make a point. A player of his size and skating ability will need to train VERY HARD to make it to the NHL level. I don't think it's his skill-level that will hold him back, but small players with questionable skating abilities usually have a hard time making it in the NHL, it's not impossible by any means, but they definitely have to work harder to make it in the NHL.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Brad Boyes does absolutely fine at NHL level, he's had some damn good offensive seasons.

But you do make a point. A player of his size and skating ability will need to train VERY HARD to make it to the NHL level. I don't think it's his skill-level that will hold him back, but small players with questionable skating abilities usually have a hard time making it in the NHL, it's not impossible by any means, but they definitely have to work harder to make it in the NHL.

i think we all agree if we got brad boyes type out of brown...again leaf nation going ga ga over at 5th round pick.....u want crosby ,malkin ,mcdavid ,u gotta tank ,if brown hakes out top 2 lines we are gonna be likley be firing shanahan by then

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
he might be another abbott on the leafs. not strong enough to bump anyone on the top 6.

we'll see because if skating and his physical size weren't a factor, then he' be in there for sure if it was based on offensive instinct.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The layout of the lists and the fact that they make you wait 2 or 3 weeks for the entire top 50, which usually has tons of mistakes and inconsistencies. Connor Brown isn't even our top prospect but he'll likely be the only Maple Leafs prospect in the top 50. It doesn't add up to their team prospect rankings.

I think Gauthier and Finn will also make the list.

Looking at the lists of past - it's obvious how much importance hindsight plays into threads on these boards, haha. :laugh:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Most of the top 50 are recent top picks or players who were drafted in the 1st or second round 3-5 years ago or that odd late round pick. Had Kadri and Rielly still been considered prospects (for example the top 10 has Trouba, Murray, etc.) then we would have 3 in the top 50 which would be above average. I don't know about you but I rather have players graduate to the NHL than have them on a meaningless list.

lol. if you do that, then consider other teams doing the same to them, and most likely the leafs would only have reilly on that list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad