Date of Birth: March 1, 1987
Hockey Age: 17
Hometown: Winnipeg, MB
Height: 6’ 5"
Weight: 195 lbs
NHL Status eligible 2005 Entry Draft

GP G A PPG PM PPG PPA SH +-
58 3 8 .19 58 0 0 0 12

Gord is a good young defenseman (he's a rookie) with tremendous size, although he still needs to get used to his size and add some muscle. He does some great outlet passes and is very sound in his own end. Not very physical yet, but will and does drop the gloves to defend himself and his teammates.
Decent lateral movement and speed coming from a big guy. Has a good hard wrist shot and when given the time and the space has a huge slapshot from the blueline.
Paired with Schlemko, and considering they're both rookies, a +12 looks pretty good.

Dave Schlemko - Defense

Date of Birth: May 7, 1987
Hometown: Edmonton, AB
Height: 6’ 1"
Weight: 171 lbs
NHL Status: Eligible 2005 Entry Draft

GP G A TP AP\PG PM PPG PPA SH +\-
56 4 19 23 0.41 21 0 13 1 13

Dave is a young defenseman (rookie...often paired with Baldwin) with great defensive knowledge and great speed. He is very smart with a good strong shot from the point. Although some mistakes are made he has had flashes of brilliance.
Played on the second PP unit, as well as some of the second PK unit. Makes good passes, especially cross-ice passes on the PP and works very hard on the PK. Had one BEAUTIFUL short handed goal from a breakaway.

Steve Marr - Defense

Date of Birth: June 6, 1984
Hockey Age: 20
Hometown: Kamloops, B.C.
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 207 lbs
NHL Status: Free Agent

2004-2005 REGULAR SEASON STATS
45 10 7 17 0.38 84 3 3 0 9

Steve is the stereotypical hard hitting defenseman that we see coming out of the Dub. He has great footspeed, a great shot and lots of leadership. He's often paired with NYI draft pick, bruiser, Cody Blanshan. Plays a style like Scott Stevens. Hits often and HARD. He hasn't played that many games this year due to a hip injury.

Kris Russell - Defense

Date of Birth: May 2, 1987
Hometown: Caroline, AB
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 157 lbs

62 24 33 57 0.92 30 17 14 0 24

Kris is amazing, despite his lack of size. He has a hard quick release and is one of the fastest defensemen I've seen. He skates a lot like Scott Niedermayer. Doesn't get into a lot of fights, but will if he has to. Even if it IS against his identical twin brother. Plays a lot like Brian Leetch. Is usually paired up with Barker and plays on the top PP unit and the second PK unit.
If he had Barker's size, he would be the second coming of Paul Coffey. Seriously. This kid will be captain either this year or next year. He gives 100% every shift and doesn't let up.
While Marr and Barker were out, he was paired with 16-year olds Trevor Glass/Jordan Benfield, while Blanshan was paired with forward Nathan Exner. Neither Blanshan, nor Russell's stats dropped.
He plays like he's 6'0, 200lbs. He posseses a Sakic-like wrist shot as well as the speed to pinch on d and still make it back to make an amazing defensive play.

Jarett Lukin - Center

Date of Birth: January 24, 1984
Hockey Age: 20
Hometown: Fort McMurray, AB
Height: 5’ 10"
Weight: 185 lbs

43 6 25 31 0.72 44 2 2 0 4

The Tigers picked up Lukin at the trade deadline from the Blazers, where he was Captain. He has made an immediate impact with his kamakazie, hard hitting take no prisoners war style of hockey. He hits anything that moves. HARD. He also has soft hands and likes to be a vulture around the net. Plays on the top line with Stefan Meyer and Clarke MacArthur. If Darcy Tucker and Martin St. Louis got mixed...this is what you would get.

Tommy Maxwell - Right Wing

Date of Birth: November 19, 1985
Hockey Age: 19
Hometown: Spokane, WA
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 197 lbs

57 9 21 30 0.53 128 3 8 0 9

Tommy is the "goon" on the team (with Blanshan). He plays a rough and tumble style of hockey with big hits and lots of fights. He can also put the puck in the net or onto his teammate's sticks. Started off playing with Brett Robertson and Roman Psurny, but has since moved onto a line with Nathan Exner and Kieran Block. His play is similar to Darren MacCarty of the Red Wings.

Darren Helm - Right Wing

Date of Birth: January 21, 1987
Hometown: St. Andrews, MB
Height: 6’ 0"
Weight: 170 lbs

62 8 12 20 0.32 21 0 0 0 5

Darren is a hard working grinder type of player that never gives up. He has the hands to score and to pass, but also will spend a lot of time in the other opposition's end cycling the puck. He also isn't scared to drop the mitts, rackign up a few fights this season. Darren is a rookie, but is playing on the 2nd line some games with Roman and Brett or with Kevin Undershute and Devyn Tremblay. Plays like a mixture of Keith Tkachuk and Joe Sakic.
Darren, as well as Derek, were the heros of the playoffs. While the vets seemed to be snake bitten these two filled the nets, Darren drawing more assists. While his footspeed is a little slow, he is a player that reminds me a lot of Stollie (of the Kootney Ice and now the Edmonton Oilers), but with more of a scoring touch.
Derek Dorsett - Right Wing

Date of Birth: December 20, 1986
Hometown: Kindersley, SK
Height: 5’ 11"
Weight: 175 lbs

42 5 9 14 0.33 87 0 1 0 8

Meet Derek. He's what you would get if you mixed up Matt Barnaby and PJ Stock. A giant pain in the ass. This kid doesn't back down from anyone, but chips in here and there with the odd goal and assist. Has a mouth that never quits and draws a lot of penalties.
During the playoffs he neutralized Dion Phaneuf and caused Phaneuf to take a load of undisciplined penalites. Great kid to have ON your team. Horrible person to play against.
PAIN. IN. THE. ASS. Great kid though.

Daine Todd - Center
Date of Birth: January 10, 1987
Hometown: Red Deer, AB
Weight: 160 lbs

60 9 18 27 0.45 29 4 8 0 7

Daine is a whiz in the faceoff circle, probably one of the best we have. He has really slick hands and plays on both the PP and PK. His only downside is that he gets knocked off the puck due to his size.

Brett Robertson - Center

Date of Birth: April 25, 1986
Hockey Age: 18
Hometown: Strathmore, AB
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 178 lbs

54 12 17 29 0.54 47 5 6 0 14

Brett is a great player to watch. He plays with a level of intensity and reckless abandon that makes it fun to watch. He's a good face off man and a good set up man. He is also very strong on the boards. Is most often paired with Roman Psurny. Broke his hand fighting, but is playing again.

Kevin Undershute - LW

Date of Birth: April 12, 1987
Hometown: Medicine Hat, AB
Weight: 176

20 1 4 5 0.25 9 0 1 0 0

Kevin came over with a trade with Brandon (we traded away Riley Day...but anyway). He's a good kid, but needs to get used to the speed of play. Dropped his gloves once and beat the crap out of some Bronco. Oh the joy.

Nathan Exner - Left Wing

Date of Birth: February 19, 1985
Hometown: Lethbridge, AB
Weight: 195 lbs

38 2 2 4 0.11 17 0 0 0 -6

X is probably the most versitle player on the Tigers. He can play either wing, center or defense. While most of our defensive corp was out Nathan played D with Blanshan and rocked. He plays on the Grind line with Block and Maxwell. Nathan and Kieran are our two best Penalty Killers. Plays like Kris Draper...only bigger.

Kieran Block - Left Wing/Center

Date of Birth: June 14, 1985
Hometown: Edmonton, AB
Weight: 186 lbs

57 5 8 13 0.23 77 0 2 2 5

Kieran is a checker plain and simple. You get what you see. He is a hard worker and crashes and bangs every game. He is an EXCELLENT Penalty Killer and a great defensive forward. Plays a whole lot bigger than 5'10. Plays like he's 6'4, 220 lbs.

Devyn Tremblay - Right Wing

Date of Birth: June 23, 1986
Hometown: Calgary, AB
Height: 6’ 4"
Weight: 194 lbs

57 3 8 11 0.19 38 0 0 0 8

Devyn is a grinder who needs to grow into his body. He's still a little bit uncoordinated, but works really really hard out there. Decent enough hands. Needs to play more physical

Matt Keetley - Goal

Date of Birth: April 27, 1986
Hometown: Medicine Hat, AB
Height: 6’ 2"
Weight: 215 lbs

GPI MP GA EN SO SVS GAA PCT. W L T OTL
23 1309.61 37 0 3 525 1.70 0.93 14 3 3 0

Big goalie. Keets covers the bottom corners well and hardly ever gets scored on if the shot is along the ice or below his waist. His puck handling is still a bit awkward, but it is improving. He doesn't challange shooters as much as he should, therefore leaving some open angles for shooters to aim for. His weakness is top shelf, stick side. He is really athletic for his size and has made some amazing cross crease saves,
Also, he has a bit of a temper and can...well...ask Aaron Sorchan what happens when you piss of Keetley.

Hopefully that helps. Any other questions feel free to ask.

-Ti

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Doomsday Device said:
That's cool. I didn't realize Kris Russell had a twin brother in the WHL.

Yep, Ryan Russell of the Kootney Ice:

23356.jpg

23310.jpg

Ryan actually has about an inch and 10-15 lbs on Kris.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
The fight was too funny.

All of us were like "WTF?! WHICH ONE IS WHICH!??" We seriously couldn't tell them apart until we looked at the socks. His mum said after the game that she was just reading the program and some kid goes:

"Look at the fight...wow...do they have the same last name?" And she goes "THEY WOULDN'T!"

They did.

:D

Guy Flaming

MS said:
...but I remember that same sort of talk around small guys like White and Brandon Reid, and the shock everyone had when they fell. Scouts may love Russell and the way he plays - I've really liked what I've seen of him, for sure - but that doesn't mean that they'll take a 5'9" defender in the early-mid rounds. 5th-6th round I could see, maybe, but 3rd-4th round would really shock me.

I wouldn't be shocked if he fell into the mid rounds. To me, he just doesn't do anything that would allow him to project as an NHL player. He's smart, and a good (but not great) playmaker. The rest of his tools are nothing special - average skater, small frame (not short but very slightly built), plays a lot on the perimeter. Not a great shot or much of a goalscorer. Reminds me of a guy like Eric Johansson, another smart WHL player without any real exceptional skills who just plumetted like a rock in his draft year.

Ahem... I guess I won those bragging rights afterall. Russell went way earlier than even I had predicted back when we made our bet. Unfortunately, I'm still left knowing that I won't get to cover him in Edmonton... small victory.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Guy Flaming said:
Ahem... I guess I won those bragging rights afterall. Russell went way earlier than even I had predicted back when we made our bet. Unfortunately, I'm still left knowing that I won't get to cover him in Edmonton... small victory.

I think Guy is Kris Russell's real father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad