HF Spring 2007 Organizational rankings (1-15)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Agreed. Its because some childish posters who are upset against anything...poor teenager... and may be their knowledge of the game isn't great either. They always want their team up there, hfboards its all about whining. Like the Kaizer guy above.
Age, honestly, has nothing to do with peoples reactions imo. It's about respecting other peoples opinions.

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
I'm a bit surprised about Habs ranking, but I dont think it's that bad. White wasnt even in the top 20 at the beginning of the season and he's been one of the best player in WHL. Maxwell ws like 17 and he was leading WHL before his injury. Halak was 10th or so and he was the best goalie in AHL.

Habs prospect depth is quite insane and it's by far the best depth of any team right now. No Crosby, no Ovechkin and no Johnson, but it doesnt mean that overall their prospects arent good.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Exactly. I expected around 8 or 9 or so. I don't understand how they constantly are rated high. I didn't understand how they were #6 last year and I don't understand how they are #2 now.

When you have guys like Higgins, Komi, Perezhogin,Halak Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Plekanec and Halak making your team and playing a role in the succes of the team in the last couple of years, i wouldnt say they are THAT overrated.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Two words. Erik Johnson.
Sorry, I think Erik Johnson has a hell of a lot of potential, but he's not worth 18 spots in the rankings. If he is, then his career is going to dwarf that of every defenseman currently in the game, barring injuries.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Carey Price could also finish down the road as the 2nd best player from the 2005 draft !
People get crazy over forwards and defensemen and overlook goalie way too much.

In a hypothetic situation that the Hamilton Bulldog (Montreal AHL team) win the calder cup and Price win MVP.

Can anybody tell me what could Price do more as a prospect to not be at least at Lehtonen prospect ranking(2nd or 3rd overall I beleive)?

Dominated in Junior hockey
Won the WJC
named WJC MVP
Win AHL Calder Cup
AHL playoff MVP

if thats not top end talent I dont think there is any top end prospect on any other teams !

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Sorry, I think Erik Johnson has a hell of a lot of potential, but he's not worth 18 spots in the rankings. If he is, then his career is going to dwarf that of every defenseman currently in the game, barring injuries.
Maybe it's him and the emergence and rise of Oshie(sp?) and Kana. Coupled with they graduation of a lot of prospects on teams ahead of the Blues. :dunno:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Carey Price could also finish down the road as the 2nd best player from the 2005 draft !
People get crazy over forwards and defensemen and overlook goalie way too much.

In a hypothetic situation that the Hamilton Bulldog (Montreal AHL team) win the calder cup and Price win MVP.

Can anybody tell me what could Price do more as a prospect to not be at least at Lehtonen prospect ranking(2nd or 3rd overall I beleive)?

Dominated in Junior hockey
Won the WJC
named WJC MVP
Win Calder Cup
AHL playoff MVP

if thats not top end talent I dont think there is any top end prospect on any other teams !
I think Halak's emergence had a great effect as well.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Maybe it's him and the emergence and rise of Oshie(sp?) and Kana. Coupled with they graduation of a lot of prospects on teams ahead of the Blues. :dunno:

Marek Schwarz should also be a very good goaltender in the NHL. People seem to forget about him.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Maybe they are preparing the post draft ranking?(Since we are drafting 5 times in the first 72 choices)

I think it's a great point.

Looking at all that, I'm a tad surprised seeing the Habs that high, but anywhere between 4 and 8 wouldn't of surprised me at all.

First, looking at true ''one of a kind'' prospects (don't know how to formulate it, I mean top notch prospect), I think every teams from 1 to 5 only have one:

Kings: Jack Johnson
Habs: Carey Price
Hawks: Jonathan Toews
Blues: Erik Johnson
Caps: Nicklas Backstrom

Second, depth must have took an important place in the discussion. Looking at the depth quality of the top-5, I think Montreal and St-Louis are the two teams with the most depth.

At last, just like SOLR said, perhaps they're looking at the number of picks a team have in the draft as the tie breaker. They want their ranking to still look representative.

I think the Blues should be 2nd IMO.

However, they're probably plenty more arguments you can use to make a certain team ranking look good or bad. It's only for fun and discussion afterall, I don't understand why people are crying out loud. If you think a team should be higher/lower, at leastr try to make coherent arguments. The first 30 posts was only users crying about the rankings.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

Well, there is every reason to believe that his upside is in the Lidstrom, Neidermeyer, Pronger range, and that grouping is at the level that makes a team a winner.

That said, they were a touch underrated, but, their prospect pool has improved more than any other group.

Alot of question marks regarding Oshie and Schwarz seem to be answered possitively. Johnson and Berglund are among the best, if not the best 1-2 addition from the '06 draft. Off the top of my head, only Backstrom/Varlamov challenges. And only one graduation.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
poor teenager...They always want their team up there, hfboards its all about whining. Like the Kaizer guy above.

Deja vu :D

I said that Kostitsyn would make the Habs only in 4-5 years after he was drafted because he is very raw and I was flamed in 2003 on Habs board because others said I was biased... Ok.
I said that Habs has a steal in Grabovski in 2004 and prasied him a lot at Habs board and said he will be ready with Kostitsyn or even before him but I was flamed again because somehow I blamed your holy cow ... Ok.
I said that Perezhogin would be good 2nd/3rd line RW for Habs but others said that he has all-star written all over him after good number in RSL during lock-out and again I was flamed in 2005 ... Ok.
I said that Grabovski would play some AHL time and probably more than one season while others said that he would take 2nd line center position right after arival and I was flamed and I was told that I'm biased... Ok.

Now, I'm biased again :biglaugh:

Yeah, good luck and have a nice dreaming :biglaugh:

PS. Don't believe me ? go and use search :)

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Habs are top 10, I'm surprised they put them 2nd overall. That said, the flame wars are getting annoying and like jcpenny said, the prospects have done really well for the Habs, it's the vets that are disapointing.

emb24*

habs also have 5 picks in the first 72 of this year's draft i think.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have to agree with the Habs sentiment, they are too high. 3 years ago they had the #1 prospect pool according to HF, and the Kings were #2 and there was a massive debate about who is better.

Now the Kings are #1 (note that Kopitar doesn't count as HF considers him graduated) and the Habs are #2. At least the Kings have been a bad team who consistently replenish their prospect pool. The Habs have not been horrible but have never been that good, don't get the draft picks and the prospects that come up usually either don't get a real chance or they flame out. They have prospect depth but they don't have a skater that is ever going to be a real star in the league.

That's why they're prospects though.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
I have to agree with the Habs sentiment, they are too high. 3 years ago they had the #1 prospect pool according to HF, and the Kings were #2 and there was a massive debate about who is better.

Now the Kings are #1 (note that Kopitar doesn't count as HF considers him graduated) and the Habs are #2. At least the Kings have been a bad team who consistently replenish their prospect pool. The Habs have not been horrible but have never been that good, don't get the draft picks and the prospects that come up usually either don't get a real chance or they flame out. They have prospect depth but they don't have a skater that is ever going to be a real star in the league.

That's why they're prospects though.

I'd rather have a star goalie. The thing is...I can see at least 6-7 prospects making the team in the next 2 years. I cant judge or compare to the other teams because I'm not that informed and I can safely say that a #2 ranking is a bit of a suprise. But reguardless of that right now I'm really excited by the quality and quantity of prospects who will play for Hamilton next year. They are missing their top forward and currently have a 2-0 lead in the semifinals with Price steping up from juniors in net. And the new guys that will step up to replace those moving up to Montreal might even be better.

Right now...its how they manage those assests that will tell the tale.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
OK ... I'll say it.

October 2005: 29th
April 2006: 22nd
October 2006: 14th
May 2007: 4th

So ...
1. Did the Blues really have the 2nd worst prospect pool just 18 months ago?
2. Do the Blues really have the 4th best prospect pool now?
3. Can anyone else recall a team jumping like this in just 18 months?

I suspect it has to do with all those UFA's they traded at the deadline in the last couple of years and the prospects and picks they got.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Good read. Montreal at 2 is a bit of a stretch, but can't expect everything to be perfect.

My biggest beef is how HF still has Petr Kalus listed as a centre, when he's been a winger at every level.

"Boston is still strong up the middle as well, with Petr Kalus and David Krejci serving as strong scoring threats from the position."

"Boston lacks any semblance of scoring on the wings"

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
I think mtl deserves the high ranking.

they have TWO of the top-5 best goalie prospects. TWO!!!
they have one of the best players of the O.
they have possibly the best player of the AHL. At least top-5.
they have one of the best rookies in the AHL.
they have the best young dman in russia. they have another one that was great at the WJC.
They have TWO players who were dominating the WHL.
and that's not even including studs like Lapierre, OByrne, Fischer, etc.

Maybe 2 was high, but easily top-5 for me.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Montreal is a stretch at #2, but I guess it's based on the fact they are pretty much the only organization with a potential franchise goaltender and a potential very good #1 goalie in Price and Halak (I'm talking about prospects here, so don't flame). Who are the other possible franchise prospect goalies? Montoya? Harding? Maybe Bernier. I mean it is the most important position, so I assume that's why they are rated so well.

Plus you add the amounts of depth the team has, no superstars but a bunch of good players.

So personally I think #2 is a stretch, but I don't think it's that far off.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Montreal is a stretch at #2, but I guess it's based on the fact they are pretty much the only organization with a potential franchise goaltender and a potential very good #1 goalie in Price and Halak (I'm talking about prospects here, so don't flame). Who are the other possible franchise prospect goalies? Montoya? Harding? Maybe Bernier. I mean it is the most important position, so I assume that's why they are rated so well.

Rask and Toivonan.... :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->