HF Sens GM (Hypothetical)

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
You are named GM of the Ottawa Senators.

Melnyk is still the owner therefore the tight budget still exist.

What are your moves? Trades, FA’s, Staff

How are you addressing the Lee situation (suspended), Hoffman, Colorado having our 2019 1st, Karlsson.

Just curious to see a step by step plan of what the armchair GM’s would do.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd start with terminating Lee as I would be replacing Dorion.
I'd talk with Karlsson apologizing about the situation, telling him that I would be willing to give him the money he deserves, then do whatever it takes to make him happy in terms of where he goes and how much he expects. Meanwhile, I'd suspend Hoffman until further notice.
As for Hoffman, if found guilty in any way I'd have to bring personal matters into the conversation as they have unfortunately merged. If his girlfriend is no longer in the picture, then I'd trade him to the opposite conference as Karlsson based on his decision. If he refuses to break up with his girlfriend, then I'd try to find a suiter for him that he's willing to co-operate with, after a certain amount of time and no team wants him then I'd terminate his contract.
I would give up this years' first-round pick to Colorado.

My moves:
Erik Karlsson to Tampa, Vegas, or Washington. But right now I say he goes to Vegas for two firsts, two seconds, Nick Suzuki, Cody Eakin and Malcolm Subban.
After that decide where Hoffman goes, but I'll just say I traded him to the New Jersey Devils for a very complicated conditional pick.
I'd like to send Matt Duchene somewhere he could contend. We'll say he goes to Washington for Grubauer, Bowey and 1st 2018.
Big house cleaning on the organization as I would try and get that bad stench out of the dressing room as quickly as possible. But before making any moves I'd have a talk with all the players who played on the Senators this season and see what we could accomplish, but if we cannot move on, no matter who they are, they will be traded.
Free agency - No big moves would happen, just the typical moves and small contracts. I wouldn't buyout Gaborik.
Gradually hire more scouts.

Reactions: Sen Of A Gun

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

I know you're probably joking, but it really would be the best move for Dorion in my opinion.

Every trade he makes he's forced to trade assets in order to cover player bonuses and small salaries. He's been put in a position to fail here. He's been a solid scout and loyal soldier for years. It would be a shame to see his career destroyed by our lunatic owner.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Do I have Melnyks approval for a full blown rebuild?

Most importantly I view the 2019 first as a sunk cost and just forget about it and dont let it effect how I make decisions or what trades I make.

I would allow Karlsson to negotiate with teams before trading him to maximize the potential.

Am I getting Glass/Theodore as a main piece from Vegas for a signed Karlsson?

Then I trade everyone else with value. Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, Ceci.

Then it is up to me to hit a grand slam with every pick I make so that whatever happened with the Colorado pick is forgotten about.

As for the other issues Lee is absolutely 100 percent fired based on how his trial goes and if he is found guilty.

And I'm also not going to let some other GM take me to the cleaners for Hoffman. I'm still getting my first round pick or a top prospect. Whatever his value was before this happened.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad