HF Sabres Big Board #7

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wooo.... PLD for the win. Tkachuk as my vote and Jost as the add. I'm still not as impressed by McLeod.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I wouldn't be so certain. There's a lot of talk around the league that scouts are concerned that a lot of his assists were secondary assists, inflating his numbers substantially.

He's probably been the second best player on that line in the playoffs ahead of Dvorak. He's been exceptional.

He's pretty much the ideal winger for me. Great puck skills, hockey IQ, passing, scoring touch, physical...

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I wouldn't be so certain. There's a lot of talk around the league that scouts are concerned that a lot of his assists were secondary assists, inflating his numbers substantially.
There is? If the scouts are saying that, I hope there's a little more substance to their analysis because otherwise it's complete nonsense, for many reasons. First, he's on an unbelievably dynamic line, so of course there will be a lot of secondary assists. They're usually earned. In many games this year from what I've seen he was the top player on that line, driving play that was often dominant. Also, who's complaining about seconds, or more appropriately using them to, I suppose, argue someone's overrated? That's pretty specious. And over the decades I've seen a LOT of secondary assists have more meaning than primary assists (not the majority or even close, of course, but enough to overcome that argument). And finally, I'm unaware of too many scouts using points as the sole basis for analysis, but particularly secondary assists. You watch him play and he's borderline dominant from the hash marks on down, in front of the net or on the boards, either passing (he may be an underrated passer), shooting, or causing mass chaos. He's legit, regardless of how many points he has. I know a few pro scouts and I'd laugh if they were using that factor to drop him in their analysis. If he does drop it won't be for that ridiculous reason.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is? If the scouts are saying that, I hope there's a little more substance to their analysis because otherwise it's complete nonsense, for many reasons. First, he's on an unbelievably dynamic line, so of course there will be a lot of secondary assists. They're usually earned. In many games this year from what I've seen he was the top player on that line, driving play that was often dominant. Also, who's complaining about seconds, or more appropriately using them to, I suppose, argue someone's overrated? That's pretty specious. And over the decades I've seen a LOT of secondary assists have more meaning than primary assists (not the majority or even close, of course, but enough to overcome that argument). And finally, I'm unaware of too many scouts using points as the sole basis for analysis, but particularly secondary assists. You watch him play and he's borderline dominant from the hash marks on down, in front of the net or on the boards, either passing (he may be an underrated passer), shooting, or causing mass chaos. He's legit, regardless of how many points he has. I know a few pro scouts and I'd laugh if they were using that factor to drop him in their analysis. If he does drop it won't be for that ridiculous reason.

There was a little bit of on-line pundit teardown of Tkachuk due to his secondary assist numbers, dating back a couple of months. This playoff run should have dispelled any doubters, given how he's taken the reins during harder matchups and key opportunities. He's been a man-beast out there.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I know people like to defend the secondary assists argument, but it is a legit argument. Not to discredit him in any way, but to determine whether he is an "elite" offensive producer, or just a "very good'' one.

His production (especially goals) in the playoffs has impressed me though. But if a guy like Dubois played in the role Tkachuk plays, I'm sure he would get a bunch more assists too. Again, not to discredit him, he is a top-6 prospects in my eyes but you have to recognize they inflate his stats.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
There was a little bit of on-line pundit teardown of Tkachuk due to his secondary assist numbers, dating back a couple of months.
Gotcha, and just to be clear, I wasn't questioning the poster, but the notion he mentioned coming from the pundit you mentioned. It's absurd.
I know people like to defend the secondary assists argument, but it is a legit argument. Not to discredit him in any way, but to determine whether he is an "elite" offensive producer, or just a "very good'' one.
It's not even an argument, let alone a legit one, and has zero bearing on whether he's considered elite or not.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

His production (especially goals) in the playoffs has impressed me though. But if a guy like Dubois played in the role Tkachuk plays, I'm sure he would get a bunch more assists too. Again, not to discredit him, he is a top-6 prospects in my eyes but you have to recognize they inflate his stats.

No its not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad