HF Retro Game of the Year - 2008 - Fallout 3 Wins

Game of the year back in 2008?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Mass effect 2 almost beat out red dead on here. And if you go anywhere else it’ll probably be Red dead ainec what are you smoking? Though it was a better game, 1 was still good

Huh? I wasn't arguing against it's inclusion :P

I just thought it was funny that ME1 wasn't as highly regarded as I would have thought at the time.
Bioshock, MW, and Galaxy got most of the GOTY love from publications.
List of Game of the Year awards - Wikipedia

Reactions: Bruce Joker

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I've always been under the impression people thought of it as more an interesting base to build upon rather than an all-that great a game objectively as it is. But I could be wrong I've never played it :P

I’d say in hindsight it’s easy to look at it as simply a good base, because of what the other games were able to do after, but at the time it blew people away. Probably not GOTY, but it at least deserves to be in the conversation

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was blown away by Mass Effect because of the seeming realism of the universe.

There was a lot of attention to detail in terms of the history, races, technology. It made the plot that much more engaging.

That wonder was never really replicated in Mass Effect 2 and 3, simply because the ground had already been broken.

They were obviously better games, but I'm not sure if they were better gaming experiences for me.

But that's typically the way it goes for the first of any ground-breaking series, whether it be a book, movie or game.

I was actually behind the curve on Mass Effect - I wasn't all that interested in a new intellectual property after the Baldur's Gate games and KOTOR, but it was Bioware so I gave it a whirl.

They followed up with Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age : Origins back to back (in the same year?) and it probably represented the zenith of Bioware IMO.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->