HF Retro Game of the Year - 2007 - Mass Effet Wins!

Game of the year back in 2007?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
BioShock is great largely because the focus wasn't on being a shooter. It's the RPG elements that really make that game, IMO. If it had ditched those and focused on shooter elements, it would've been a far more forgettable game. I suspect that most people who are either lukewarm towards it or hate it are judging it as a shooter and not appreciating that being different from most shooters is what makes it so great.

I found "significant tactical advantages based on weapon/plasmid choices" to be one of the game's strengths. It made a big difference which ammo you were using. For example, anti-personnel rounds did about twice as much damage to humanoids as regular rounds did, and armor piercing rounds did about twice as much damage to armored/machine enemies. Doing research by taking photos added more damage on top, as well as helped you to know which ammo types should be used against which enemies. Finally, different enemies were much more susceptible to fire, ice, electricity and so on. I actually found the game to be stronger in this aspect than many "truer" RPGs like Fallout 3 and Oblivion/Skyrim, in which you don't have as much choice in which weapons or ammo to use in encounters because you already spec'ed yourself for certain weapon types and decided which to carry with you.

I enjoyed it for the story and setting but as far as gameplay goes it was pretty linear.

Mass Effect did offer a lot of tactical differences in terms of the class that you could play, and you had the option of doing side missions or not, doing planets in whatever order you choose.

It was still a close vote - Bioshock was a very unique game but I got more out of the recordings and conversations than the actual combat. It had a few Half-Life type scripted encounters that would startle you but after a few levels it got pretty reptititive IMO.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
NyQuil said:
I enjoyed it for the story and setting but as far as gameplay goes it was pretty linear.
Mass Effect did offer a lot of tactical differences in terms of the class that you could play, and you had the option of doing side missions or not, doing planets in whatever order you choose.

BioShock did have levels with start points, end points and an order to do things in, but the levels were actually pretty wide open. They allowed you to go almost anywhere at any time and you needed to do lots of backtracking and exploring to complete them. You could also approach many encounters from a different direction, run from them and/or lure enemies into a trap.

In contrast, Mass Effect did let you choose which planets to go to and in which order, but the actual missions in them were extremely linear. They consisted of going from room to room in a specific order and getting ambushed each time by enemies coming from the other side of the room, with no option for running, approaching from another direction or doing the ambushing/attacking first, instead.

I find the latter boring and uninteresting. What's the point of having the choice of which missions to do and in what order if they're all the same? Once I realized which missions in Mass Effect were side ones, I started skipping them. I'd rather have the same order of objectives as everyone else, but the freedom to tackle them in the way that I prefer. Of course, I really prefer having freedom of mission selection and freedom of execution (such as in some true RPGs, like Bethesda's), but every game doesn't need to be open world like that. A game does need to have good gameplay, though, and I feel that BioShock has that and Mass Effect doesn't.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
BioShock was fun and really gave way to a lot of FPS/RPG Open world-ish games we see today like the new Prey (which is fantastic by the way and VERY open world). But to me it was just missing investment. The opening was incredible from when you crash your plane then swim to the rocky island and get on the elevator then go under water. But it was all just like its no big deal. And your main character was just "okay, I guess I can shoot lightning now". It was a very fun game to me but marred by a hard to believe investment the main character has.

Mass Effect on the other hand was completely story driven and almost gave me the same feeling I had the first time I saw Star Wars as a kid. Incredible story, atmosphere and music. At the time the gameplay was fine and I think it being an MS published game being on Xbox and PC only limited what a lot of people who went back to play it after they played ME2 and their thoughts of it. It felt a lot more clunky with crappy load times and loading elevators. ME1 was one of those 'you had to be there when it first came out' sort of things. ME got a huge boost when EA bought it and put it on all platforms. Which honestly I hated. Not that it was on all platforms. That EA bought it and added multiplayer and a bunch of crap when they really could have just expanded the universe and story.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
BioShock did have levels with start points, end points and an order to do things in, but the levels were actually pretty wide open. They allowed you to go almost anywhere at any time and you needed to do lots of backtracking and exploring to complete them. You could also approach many encounters from a different direction, run from them and/or lure enemies into a trap.

In contrast, Mass Effect did let you choose which planets to go to and in which order, but the actual missions in them were extremely linear. They consisted of going from room to room in a specific order and getting ambushed each time by enemies coming from the other side of the room, with no option for running, approaching from another direction or doing the ambushing/attacking first, instead.

I find the latter boring and uninteresting. What's the point of having the choice of which missions to do and in what order if they're all the same? Once I realized which missions in Mass Effect were side ones, I started skipping them. I'd rather have the same order of objectives as everyone else, but the freedom to tackle them in the way that I prefer. Of course, I really prefer having freedom of mission selection and freedom of execution (such as in some true RPGs, like Bethesda's), but every game doesn't need to be open world like that. A game does need to have good gameplay, though, and I feel that BioShock has that and Mass Effect doesn't.
Noveria is extremely not-linear. The game doesn't make it obvious that you can do your tasks in whatever order though, so I guess that's why people don't really know. There were scenes on that planet that I didn't even see on my first 2 playthroughs because I never managed to trigger the proper sequence.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Well, the original Mass Effect was much more open than the sequels were.

The story elements and cut scenes became more prominent and cinematic with Mass Effect 2 at the expense of the ability to explore.

ME was a bit more like an RPG and ME2 was more like a story-driven shooter.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I haven't played a single second of any Mass Effect game other than Mass Effect 2, and I 100%'d Mass Effect 2.o_O

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sticky cover?? :huh: :huh:

Sticky cover is when you walk up to a berm or wall or something and press a button to glob on to it and you can walk around while "stuck" to the wall or object. If it's a shooter you can usually shoot over it.

If the game is an FPS it will usually take you to a third person view as well.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Sticky cover is when you walk up to a berm or wall or something and press a button to glob on to it and you can walk around while "stuck" to the wall or object. If it's a shooter you can usually shoot over it.

If the game is an FPS it will usually take you to a third person view as well.

So kinda like the cover system in GTA 4????

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

MetalheadPenguinsFan wasn't the only one scratching his head. I imagined that you were talking about the cover of the DVD case that the game came in. I couldn't fathom why anyone, especially retailers, would want copies of the game that stuck to each other.

Now that I know what you're talking about, I hate it. There were more times than I could count when the game wouldn't put me into cover when I wanted to be, did put me into cover when I didn't want to be and released me from cover when I didn't want to be. It was so frustrating to pop my head up from cover to take a shot and then have the game leave me standing up and exposed in the middle of a firefight, instead of automatically returning me to cover. I hate dying because I'm having to wrestle with the game's mechanics. Give me standard crouch and lean abilities any day and don't get in my way by insisting on holding my hand with them.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Looks like Mass Effect has got it, lots of votes for other games though. Good showing/Strong contenders.

Side node: The best game released in 2007 was an expansion pack called Beyond the Sword ;)
The second best was Mask of the Betrayer, another expansion.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
2006 list:
Company of Heroes
Final Fantasy XII
Gears of War
Half-life 2: Episode One
Kingdom Hearts II
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Medieval II: Total War
New Super Mario Bros.
Okami
Rainbow Six Vegas
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii Sports
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thoughts? Omissions, etc?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
2006 list:
Company of Heroes
Final Fantasy XII
Gears of War
Kingdom Hearts II
New Super Mario Bros.
Okami
Rainbow Six Vegas
Wii Sports
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Isn't Subsistence a remake?

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
2006 list:
Company of Heroes
Final Fantasy XII
Gears of War
Kingdom Hearts II
New Super Mario Bros.
Okami
Rainbow Six Vegas
Wii Sports
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Persona 3 is one I would include.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

From a PC point of view:
-Neverwinter Nights 2
-Galactic Civilizations 2

I may be the only one who likes these games so don't include them unless there's a second out there.

(I'm actually playing NWN2 right now lol)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Isn't Subsistence a remake?

More like a Pokemon Yellow/Platinum/Ultra Sun/Moon type thing...MGS3 proper was released in 2004 and probably a better candidate then.

Persona 3 was Japan-only in 2006, so 2007 would have been the better list for that one.

I had a friend who was really into Resistance: Fall of Man, so maybe that would be worth a nod...I never played any of them, though...which will apply to the vast majority of games released this year. Okami & FFXII account for the entirety of new video games I purchased in 2006.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
2006 list:
Company of Heroes
Final Fantasy XII
Gears of War
Kingdom Hearts II
New Super Mario Bros.
Okami
Rainbow Six Vegas
Wii Sports
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It probably wouldn't get any other votes, but I'd strongly consider voting for Hitman: Blood Money if it was an option.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I 2nd Resistance. The series went south, but the original is one of my all time favourites. My friend and I replayed the campaign about a year and a half ago, and the co op is still just as fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad