HF Retro Game of the Year - 2001 - GTA III Wins!

Game of the year back in 2001?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Shout outs to the 3 people who voted for the actual best shooter that came out this year, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
I'm surprised MGS2 isn't getting votes. I always thought of that game as one of those landmark games in gaming history.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm surprised MGS2 isn't getting votes. I always thought of that game as one of those landmark games in gaming history.
The visuals still look fantastic. It didn't push polygon counts but the visual style was just so smart and clean.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The visuals still look fantastic. It didn't push polygon counts but the visual style was just so smart and clean.
I played it for the first time last year and the game still holds up really well. And while I'm not big on stories in video games at all, the story in MGS2 is phenomenal.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Shout outs to the 3 people who voted for the actual best shooter that came out this year, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Almost as if video games are subjective.

Coming down to the wire with GTA 3 and Halo. GTA 3 is the most deserving of the franchise given how it was the first to nail the 3D sandbox open world genre.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

14 year-old me definitely wished that were true, but that game was forgotten by me within a month despite absurd hype (W3D was my first PC game, so you could call this the first nostalgia play in my life).

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
14 year-old me definitely wished that were true, but that game was forgotten by me within a month despite absurd hype (W3D was my first PC game, so you could call this the first nostalgia play in my life).

It had a great competitive scene for about a year, though I remember it dying down quite a bit after the first CAL-i season.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think the game's lack of content and play-ability to really be considered a "Game of the Year". I absolutely loved MGS2, the storyline was great, I loved the Illuminati parallel and how Snake and Otacon fit into the game. However, even a mediocre player can complete the game in ~3 hours, and the replayability is kind of lacking.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Seems like GTA III has it, though there's still about 10 min left. Last time we had a poll this close I said within 1 vote we'd have a tie breaker.

Also FWIW my vote would be for III in a 1 on 1 matchup.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Some candidates on the PC side for 2000:

Diablo II
Counter-Strike
Shogun: Total War
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Aliens vs Predator
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some candidates on the PC side for 2000:

Diablo II
Counter-Strike
Shogun: Total War
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Aliens vs Predator

Some good candidates in there.

I'd probably have to go with BG2 although I expect Diablo II to win.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Baldur's Gate II is objectively better than Diablo II in almost every way as a game. But I'm almost certainly voting for D2 over it. The battle.net experience, especially before Blizzard starting mucking with things after 1.09 and all the item sale sites and stuff, was glorious.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Preliminary lists, submit thy thoughts:

Locks?
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Chrono Cross
Counter-Strike
Deus Ex
Diablo II
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Perfect Dark
Skies of Arcadia
The Legend of Zeld: Majora's Mask
The Sims
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BG II, DII, and Deus Ex in one year ain't fair :laugh:

Possibles:
Banjo-Tooie
Descent 3
Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance
Sacrifice
The Longest Journey
Thief II: The Metal Age
WWF No Mercy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You'd have to *really* talk me into it:
Aliens Vs Predator
Icewind Dale
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Timesplitters
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Other ideas welcome.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Preliminary lists, submit thy thoughts:

Locks?
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Chrono Cross
Counter-Strike
Deus Ex
Diablo II
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Perfect Dark
Skies of Arcadia
The Legend of Zeld: Majora's Mask
The Sims
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
BG II, DII, and Deus Ex in one year ain't fair :laugh:

Possibles:
Banjo-Tooie
Descent 3
Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance
Sacrifice
The Longest Journey
Thief II: The Metal Age
WWF No Mercy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You'd have to *really* talk me into it:
Aliens Vs Predator
Icewind Dale
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Timesplitters
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Other ideas welcome.

Shogun: Total War simply must, MUST be on that list. A truly revolutionary game, the one that launched the franchise, and still considered my many vets to have the best balanced, most strategic battles.

Also, I believe Counter-strike doesn't belong on that list. First, it was originally released in 1999. Secondly it was a mod, not a game in its own right. Being generous you could call it an Expansion when Valve subsequently released it, but I thought we excluded expansions from this list? Third, Half-Life will win easily for 1998.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
2000 may be my hardest decision yet: Grandia II or Skies of Arcadia.

MvC2, THPS2, & Red Alert 2 were huge for me, too.

The Dreamcast f***ing killed it in 2000 after one of the best launches ever...sigh. Shenmue was like the 9th best Dreamcast game that year...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad