HF Retro Game of the Year - 2001 - GTA III Wins!

Game of the year back in 2001?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
GTA3 for me.

Was my biggest "recent" whoa moment in gaming and essentially the game that changed me from being an JRPG fan to being an open world/sandbox fan.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Halo: CE for me. Close call between that and GTA 3, RuneScape, and Smash Bros.

Halo: CE was the complete package for me. A great campaign and compelling storyline that had a lot of replayability, co-op play, very clever artificial intelligence, amazing split-screen and system link multiplayer with a variety of modes and objective game types, amazing map design for multiplayer, a control scheme that was revolutionary at the time which every subsequent FPS was modelled after, etc.

It was arguably the first 'great' (I use that word facetiously as the PC master race will likely take offence) console FPS that has aged quite well. Goldeneye would be considered, but that control scheme was horrible and the game overall did not age well.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Voted runescape but it was 50/50 for me between that and ssbm. Such an amazing fighting game that i still play for at least an hour every day

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Voted Halo, expecting GTA to win like every open-world game on this forum, regardless of how well or poorly they've aged.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Sid Meier's Civlization III for me. I put so many hours into that game. \

second would be GT3 or GTA3. Wasn't into Halo back then.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Posted in the other thread suggesting to add it to the poll. How does one of the greatest MMO's (Diablo 2) of all time not make it on here??

Went with FFX. Probably should have went with Gran Turismo 3. Played the hell out of both games.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Full disclosure: I was in college from 1999-2003, and this was the period of my life I was least into gaming. I was completely out of console gaming and played very few PC games.

I did play and enjoy Return to Castle Wolfenstein though, both the single and multi-player, so I voted for that. I spent a ton of time playing the original Wolfenstein 3D as a kid, so I was thrilled that the franchise was re-booted. I played the multiplayer over a local network with my college buddies. We played like two things - either RtCW or Unreal Tournament.

So I have a fondness for both of those games because I associated them with college late nights.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Posted in the other thread suggesting to add it to the poll. How does one of the greatest MMO's (Diablo 2) of all time not make it on here??

It’s a 2000 release.

I’m having a hell of a time deciding. I voted FFX, but changed it to RuneScape. Now I’m tempted to change again to GTA3, or back to FFX

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It’s a 2000 release.

I’m having a hell of a time deciding. I voted FFX, but changed it to RuneScape. Now I’m tempted to change again to GTA3, or back to FFX
The expansion was 2001. That was essentially what took diablo from popular to the booming success. Only reason I was asking.

GTA3 is another one. I may have to change my vote to that. So many good games that year.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
for me, this is Halo by a mile. The series has gotten progressively worse and worse so it's easy to forget just how great the original game was. Fantastic campaign (library notwithstanding), lots of variety in multiplayer, beautiful imagery and music, and some really funny jokes sprinkled throughout. Halo was a game that understood fun and provided it in spades. So, so, so many great nights spent running to grab the rockets/sniper rifle/overshield/tank. The ability to play one game on two televisions blew my mind when I first saw it.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
RTCW.

It was the first shooter that I played that moved towards team-based objectives as opposed to the extremely repetitive DM and TDM modes.

Coupled with classes and decent maps, it took FPS to a different level IMO.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
RTCW.

It was the first shooter that I played that moved towards team-based objectives as opposed to the extremely repetitive DM and TDM modes.

Coupled with classes and decent maps, it took FPS to a different level IMO.

That's why I liked it too, but have to say that I also played a lot of Unreal Tournament around this time, which came out two years earlier than RtCW and also featured a variety of different multiplayer game modes (Capture the Flag, Assault, Domination) that featured different team-based objectives.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It almost feels weird remembering how huge Halo was when I was getting into high school, considering it's not something I've enjoyed since high school...but the original was an absolute game-breaker for console FPS and dominates my memories of being 15.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Voted Halo, expecting GTA to win like every open-world game on this forum, regardless of how well or poorly they've aged.
I always understood this as voting for the game we enjoyed the most in that year, not necessarily which one has aged the best.

For me I have to go with GTA3. My friends and I had to log 1,000hours into that game. We only had one friend who owned a PS2 at the time and we'd all pile into his house and take turns until we died. We might have completed half the game in that time. We would always just screw around and cause mayhem. It was unbelievably fun.

Went back and beat it rather recently and it still holds up. Still quite a bit of fun.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Buddlee

Apr 15, 2018
vote Grand Theft Auto III
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/pro.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/pic.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->