HF Retro Game of the Year - 2000 - Diablo II Wins!

Game of the year back in 2000?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I'm probably going to vote for AoE II, but I did enjoy Super Smash Bros. and Rollercoaster Tycoon as well. I still have to get around to play System Shock 2, it is in my GoG library.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Ooookay, 199 list:
Age of Empires II
EverQuest
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Planescape: Torment
Quake III Arena
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Silent Hill
SoulCalibur
Super Smash Bros.
System Shock 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Unreal Tournament
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Other Potentials:
Driver
Final Fantasy VIII
Gran Turismo 2
Grandia
Homeworld
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Mario Golf
Mario Party
Medal of Honor
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Syphon Filter
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
What should stay, go , good enough?

Everquest was a big deal and an important historical game but I'm not sure it has many fans around here, could be wrong.

I'd say Mario Party is pretty historical.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the first game to involve mini-games and possibly the first "party" game as well? It also was a cool intersection between board games and video games.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I never played Everquest, but as you say it's a historically significant game - the first successful no-subscription MMO I believe?

EverQuest used a subscription model. Its legacy is that it was the first massively successful 3D MMO. The previous (and first) massively successful MMO was Ultima Online, but it was 2D with an overhead camera (similar to Diablo) and wasn't as immersive as EverQuest's 3D engine and 1st-person perspective, so the latter quickly surpassed it in subscriptions and became the MMO to beat until World of Warcraft came along.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the first game to involve mini-games and possibly the first "party" game as well? It also was a cool intersection between board games and video games.

Games with mini games have been around since the 80s, though they've usually been sports games, like all of the Olympics games, California Games and such. Mario Party might've popularized non-sports mini games, though; I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Also its expansion model.

I'm not sure that it was any different than Ultima Online. UO's first expansion was in 1998, the year before EverQuest was released, and it's had eight more since. EverQuest might've pioneered digital distribution of expansion packs, though, if that's what you're referring to.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not sure that it was any different than Ultima Online. UO's first expansion was in 1998, the year before EverQuest was released, and it's had eight more since. EverQuest might've pioneered digital distribution of expansion packs, though, if that's what you're referring to.

EQ's expansions were a borderline software as a service conveyor belt, releasing 1 at least every year and sometimes 2. I'm not sure any game to that point had done that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
EQ's expansions were a borderline software as a service conveyor belt, releasing 1 at least every year and sometimes 2. I'm not sure any game to that point had done that.

I'm not sure that any game since has done that, either. I see what you're saying. That was more extreme than UO's expansion model, especially early on. In fact, it's probably due to EverQuest updating its game with expansions so frequently that UO released new expansions every year, instead of every other year, starting in 2000.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Ooookay, 1999 list:
Age of Empires II
EverQuest
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Planescape: Torment
Quake III Arena
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Silent Hill
SoulCalibur
Super Smash Bros.
System Shock 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Unreal Tournament
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Other Potentials:
Driver
Final Fantasy VIII
Gran Turismo 2
Grandia
Homeworld
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Mario Golf
Mario Party
Medal of Honor
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Syphon Filter
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
What should stay, go , good enough?

Everquest was a big deal and an important historical game but I'm not sure it has many fans around here, could be wrong.
Crash Team Racing should be on the list as well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I bought EverQuest and played it for the first, free month. It was an exciting experience because the 1st-person 3D engine was so immersive, but it was very unforgiving, partly by design and partly because it was laggy (net code, not 3D performance) and unpolished, even though it had already been out a few years. I have countless memories of venturing outside of the safe, starting zone, dying because I was hit only a few times while lagged or without seeing what was hitting me (1st person perspective has its downsides) and then having to start all over again from the starting zone. World of Warcraft was so much better in these respects, even at release. Blizzard was just so much better at game balance and polish than anyone, especially compared to the people behind EverQuest, who were relatively inexperienced and learning as they went along.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Pretty historically bad.

200.gif

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I played the hell out of PD but I couldn't vote for it. It was an obvious attempt to try and replicate the success they had with Goldeneye. The addition of the counter-op mode was awful. Still love it and the Sim Challenges are something that I remember vividly giving me migraines trying to complete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad