HF Retro Game of the Year - 2000 - Diablo II Wins!

Game of the year back in 2000?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Huh... guess I have to abstain, as I don't really have a majorly positive opinion of any of these.

Those are pretty much my thoughts. This is the first poll where I don't have a strong attachment to one, let alone two. I'm most partial to Diablo II, Counter-Strike and Baldur's Gate II, but one doesn't jump out to me as "Game of the Year." Diablo II might've if I'd ever played multiplayer, but I didn't, so I have to judge it only on its single player. Baldur's Gate II might've if I could remember it, but it's been so long that I can't distinguish it from the other similar RPGs. I don't have your principles when it comes to abstaining, though. I may just do what I did last round and wait and then shamelessly throw my vote at whichever of the three could use it the most.

Fortunately, this will be the last poll like this for me for a while, since many of my favorite games of all time come from 1997, 1998 and 1999.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Between MVC2 and Diablo 2...

No Mercy was fun but wasn't actually a good game.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
At least there's no more GTA games in this one. GTA was ok in it's day, I played some San Andreas didn't mind Vice City but those games should not ever be near the game of the year, IMO. 3 out of 4 years? C'mon. They were just ok fun games, nothing particularly noteworthy other than maybe bringing open world idea more mainstream.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
At least there's no more GTA games in this one. GTA was ok in it's day, I played some San Andreas didn't mind Vice City but those games should not ever be near the game of the year, IMO. 3 out of 4 years? C'mon. They were just ok fun games, nothing particularly noteworthy other than maybe bringing open world idea more mainstream.
Agreed, this forum has pretty poor tastes, and all of the old GTAs have aged poorly.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
Diablo 2 by miles for me. I could probably load that up right now and get addicted all over again.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Between Majora's Mask and Diablo II for me. Baldur's Gate II and Deus Ex also get some consideration.

Went with Majora's Mask. Overall my favorite Zelda game and easily top 3 in my favorite games of all time list.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Sophie's Choice was made for me, thanks to apparently being the only person to ever play Grandia II, so Skies of Arcadia it is.

Yinz needed more Dreamcast in your lives. The candle that burns twice as brightly...gets ignored because of a DVD player.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Went for BG2.

Can someone please tell me why Diablo 2 is considered such a great game? I remember it as a simple, repetitive game with no discernible plot or story. The intro video was pretty epic, I still remember that. But the game was so meh.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I voted Tony Hawk 2 but I don't exepect any of my choices to win this poll.

I have never played a Diablo, Balders Gate, Deus Ex. The only PC game on that list I played is Counter-Strike, and I would be happy to vote for it as well.

I just played so much of THPS2 and have such fond memories of it. I will never forget my group of friends playing the demo all summer and buying a bootleg version of the full game a month before release when a dude showed up to school with a backpack full of burned CDs.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Went for BG2.

Can someone please tell me why Diablo 2 is considered such a great game? I remember it as a simple, repetitive game with no discernible plot or story. The intro video was pretty epic, I still remember that. But the game was so meh.

Diablo 2 sold far more than BG2, and even shifted the PC market away from the old style CRPG to creating nothing but Diablo clones for a good 5+ years... much like WoW did. I've never really liked Blizzard 'RPG's' because of this but they are/were masters of distilling an RPG down to the purest monkey brain addiction elements to hook the broadest group of people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad