HF Retro Game of the Year - 1997 - GoldenEye 007 Wins!

Game of the year back in 1997?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can't say I understand why "the first console shooter ever" thing even matters as a point of influence. So the gameplay wasn't even that innovative or boundary pushing for its time, it was just the fact that the same thing was available on a new platform?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I can't say I understand why "the first console shooter ever" thing even matters as a point of influence. So the gameplay wasn't even that innovative or boundary pushing for its time, it was just the fact that the same thing was available on a new platform?
Games can be innovative and boundary pushing and still not be considered 'game of the year'. Same goes for music, movies, television, etc. Goldeneye for me in 1997 was the greatest videogame ever made. My father and I spent countless hours besting each other's times completing the level challenges and my friends and I found inventive ways to make the multiplayer experience even more competitive using multiple TVs. It was a landmark game for the console and Rare spent years fruitlessly trying to replicate its success. It was nowhere near the first console shooter, but no FPS on the N64 ever touched it afterward.

People who play Final Fantasy games will vote Final Fantasy. Casual gamers will vote the other two IMO.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Games can be innovative and boundary pushing and still not be considered 'game of the year'. Same goes for music, movies, television, etc. Goldeneye for me in 1997 was the greatest videogame ever made. My father and I spent countless hours besting each other's times completing the level challenges and my friends and I found inventive ways to make the multiplayer experience even more competitive using multiple TVs. It was a landmark game for the console and Rare spent years fruitlessly trying to replicate its success. It was nowhere near the first console shooter, but no FPS on the N64 ever touched it afterward.

People who play Final Fantasy games will vote Final Fantasy. Casual gamers will vote the other two IMO.
Completely agreed, and I think you may be misreading the intended tone of that. Personally, I don't find boundary pushing or historical impact to be something that matters to me at all, even when it's undeniably huge (like w/ FFVII, it's a non-factor to me). I just find it odd that its historical significance as a "console shooter" specifically is often brought up as a selling point for Goldeneye. Who cares whether it was done on a console or not?

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I find x wouldn't exist without y type arguments in video games to be overblown. With the constant technological improvements, especially back then when you were going from a rather primitive starting point, the gaming industry is always pushing itself upward. Just because one developer did it first doesn't mean it wouldn't exist without them, if it was an idea worth keeping and standardizing then chances are someone else would stumble upon it eventually.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I must say, I underestimated Goldeneye in this poll. It was a ton of fun back in the day, but I fully expected FFVII to run away with this.

I guess we have less Final Fantasy people in this forum than I thought.

The Final Fantasy craze passed me by. I never had a PlayStation until the 3, which was almost exclusively my Battlefield box with a couple Uncharted breaks. I actually didn't play the franchise at any length until I borrowed a friend's copy of FFXV, which I thought was decent except for those stupid, awful, braindead car rides. Those things bored me right out of the game.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I must say, I underestimated Goldeneye in this poll. It was a ton of fun back in the day, but I fully expected FFVII to run away with this.

The Final Fantasy craze passed me by. I never had a PlayStation until the 3, which was almost exclusively my Battlefield box with a couple Uncharted breaks. I actually didn't play the franchise at any length until I borrowed a friend's copy of FFXV, which I thought was decent except for those stupid, awful, braindead car rides. Those things bored me right out of the game.
Sadly, I was made aware of this when I created the official Final Fantasy thread. :(

Oh my, what a bad Final Fantasy to play as your first. I wonder how one would receive games like FF7, FF:Tactics, FF8, or FFX for the first time in 2018. The game appears to have aged beautifully for me, but most people palying it in 2018 have been playing it since the late 90s.

member 157595

I'm not sure if you're wanting me to explain what I mean or making a joke :P

For future reference, I am a sarcastic, wise-ass son of a bitch. :laugh:

I understood what you meant. I think there are plot holes in FF7, but every time I replay it I get something different out of it.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
For future reference, I am a sarcastic, wise-ass son of a *****. :laugh:

I understood what you meant. I think there are plot holes in FF7, but every time I replay it I get something different out of it.

Ah, gotcha! I just remember as a kid not really understanding the whole Shinra draining the life force parallel to the real world, and actually found the Aeris thing somewhat somewhat comical, or joking about it. Whenever I started to get older and played through the game again I can actually remember tearing up at Aeris' death and really understanding that there was an absolute parallel between Shinra and real world corporations who are draining and killing the planet.

member 157595

I'm the opposite. I stopped being a gamer years ago, so I have no idea about any FF game since XII (which I thought should have been aborted). In case you're curious about the older games (and if not feel free to ignore this because retro games aren't for everyone), my opinions of the games are as follows:

FFI: I respect it for what it created, but you can't really play it today and enjoy it. Incredibly buggy and grindtastic. Some of the remakes are OK.
FFII: The original Famicom version is easily, without any shadow of a doubt, the worst FF game I've ever played. No battle system has ever been more crippled and broken. I actually played through the original about 15 years ago and I wanted to kill myself after it was done. The remake on the GBA is OK but holy hell does this game fail at life. Nasir Gebelli was a great game programmer but there's no way he seriously tested this shit.
FFIII: This was a MASSIVE, MASSIVE improvement on II. I wish this had been released in North America when it was new, I would have loved it as a kid. Very good game but definitely unforgiving, and the last dungeon is simply brutal if you're not leveled. DS remake was easier.
FFIV: Oh FFIV...I heart you. I simply adore this game. It's not the best game in the series but it is my favorite. My favorite characters, my favorite plot and in the case of the original Japanese version, challenging difficulty. One of the most emotional retro video games ever made.
FFV: I like the job system so I like this game. Some don't, but I do. It definitely has replay value.
FFVI: I'm torn here. It's up there with VII as arguably the best in the series but I think the second half of the game may be a bit too nonlinear. That said, it's one of the best video games of all time.
FFVII: It's both overrated and underrated at the same time, since it changed everything. I think it's a masterpiece, and that 6 and 7 are the best games in the series.
FFVIII: f*** THIS GAME. Quistis is the only semi-interesting thing about this game. :laugh:
FFIX: The last "retro" FF game. I liked it.
FFX: It may be a good game...but I hate it. I stopped playing FF games regularly after this.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I find myself preferring RPGs where the character is a blank slate that you can create.

It’s what has put me off games like Witcher and FF.

I agree and tend to prefer more of a blank slate, although the Witcher games were good enough for me to easily get over that (well, 2 and 3. I dropped 1 pretty quickly, but in its defense, I did try to play it after finishing 2). Plus, with Geralt, you had some slight control over his personality with your choices.

Sadly, I was made aware of this when I created the official Final Fantasy thread. :(

Oh my, what a bad Final Fantasy to play as your first. I wonder how one would receive games like FF7, FF:Tactics, FF8, or FFX for the first time in 2018. The game appears to have aged beautifully for me, but most people palying it in 2018 have been playing it since the late 90s.

Honestly the graphics from that era give me a headache these days. :laugh:

I can't say for certain, but I feel like the older style may translate better.

I'm the opposite. I stopped being a gamer years ago, so I have no idea about any FF game since XII (which I thought should have been aborted). In case you're curious about the older games (and if not feel free to ignore this because retro games aren't for everyone), my opinions of the games are as follows:

FFI: I respect it for what it created, but you can't really play it today and enjoy it. Incredibly buggy and grindtastic. Some of the remakes are OK.
FFII: The original Famicom version is easily, without any shadow of a doubt, the worst FF game I've ever played. No battle system has ever been more crippled and broken. I actually played through the original about 15 years ago and I wanted to kill myself after it was done. The remake on the GBA is OK but holy hell does this game fail at life. Nasir Gebelli was a great game programmer but there's no way he seriously tested this ****.
FFIII: This was a MASSIVE, MASSIVE improvement on II. I wish this had been released in North America when it was new, I would have loved it as a kid. Very good game but definitely unforgiving, and the last dungeon is simply brutal if you're not leveled. DS remake was easier.
FFIV: Oh FFIV...I heart you. I simply adore this game. It's not the best game in the series but it is my favorite. My favorite characters, my favorite plot and in the case of the original Japanese version, challenging difficulty. One of the most emotional retro video games ever made.
FFV: I like the job system so I like this game. Some don't, but I do. It definitely has replay value.
FFVI: I'm torn here. It's up there with VII as arguably the best in the series but I think the second half of the game may be a bit too nonlinear. That said, it's one of the best video games of all time.
FFVII: It's both overrated and underrated at the same time, since it changed everything. I think it's a masterpiece, and that 6 and 7 are the best games in the series.
FFVIII: **** THIS GAME. Quistis is the only semi-interesting thing about this game. :laugh:
FFX: It may be a good game...but I hate it. I stopped playing FF games regularly after this.

I always hear interesting takes on the franchise because so many people form different opinions each of the unique games.

For example, I know people who call FFX their favourite. :laugh:

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Quake II has a whopping 0 votes so far, so I'm not sure that being the runner-up to it is a strong argument for its inclusion in the poll ;)... but it makes me smile inside to see someone bring it up. I often wonder if I'm the only one who remembers Interstate 76. It was so awesome, but has been so forgotten. I could see a remake or spiritual sequel being very popular today, especially if someone were to set it in an open world on a map the size of a small state, throw in RPG components and go for the Grand Theft Auto crowd.

I remember back then couldn't play it right away, as I have had 486 on 120 mhz and 8 mb ram :D, later I got much better PC on which I could run I-76 on highest details.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

FFII: The original Famicom version is easily, without any shadow of a doubt, the worst FF game I've ever played. No battle system has ever been more crippled and broken. I actually played through the original about 15 years ago and I wanted to kill myself after it was done. The remake on the GBA is OK but holy hell does this game fail at life. Nasir Gebelli was a great game programmer but there's no way he seriously tested this ****.
FFVIII: **** THIS GAME. Quistis is the only semi-interesting thing about this game. :laugh:

Hard to argue with most of what you've said here. I agree with nearly everything. Except for your comment on FFX, I list that one as my 2nd favorite after FFVII.

I agree about FF8... it's so cringey at almost every storyline aspect. The characters are so bland and have zero individuality... Just all a bunch of (practically) high school teens meandering their way through hormonal imbalances and cringey dialogue. lol

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hard to argue with most of what you've said here. I agree with nearly everything. Except for your comment on FFX, I list that one as my 2nd favorite after FFVII.

I agree about FF8... it's so cringey at almost every storyline aspect. The characters are so bland and have zero individuality... Just all a bunch of (practically) high school teens meandering their way through hormonal imbalances and cringey dialogue. lol
The draw system also sucks since it disincentivizes using strong spells (since they're tied to stats).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m voting based on what the game was at the time, and not what it is now. At the time, it was pretty much the greatest game ever made. It’s easily my pick. However, if I was voting based on what the game is in 2018, I’d vote FF or AoE

Hey now. I’m one of those.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I always hear interesting takes on the franchise because so many people form different opinions each of the unique games.

Yes. FFX was an amazing game. Strange that people have different opinions than your own huh?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I set this poll to be a little longer than usual, turns out that was probably a good idea.

Anyway, start submitting 96 stuff if you wanna get a rolling start on that. Too many of the people who complain about X and Y not being in don't submit stuff :P

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anyway, start submitting 96 stuff if you wanna get a rolling start on that. Too many of the people who complain about X and Y not being in don't submit stuff :P
How do you do that?

1. Metal Slug
(I still think that this series is one of the most visually incredible in history. Dare I say it, animation-wise, it's better than something like Cuphead)
2. Tetris Attack (One of those games where it initially seems basic, but then something suddenly clicks and you start moving on instinct, seeing things before they happen, and making faster and faster split-second reactions)
3. Terranigma
4. Street Fighter Alpha 2
5. Super Mario 64

Weaker transition year, IMO.
I find myself preferring RPGs where the character is a blank slate that you can create.

It’s what has put me off games like Witcher and FF.
I agree and tend to prefer more of a blank slate, although the Witcher games were good enough for me to easily get over that (well, 2 and 3. I dropped 1 pretty quickly, but in its defense, I did try to play it after finishing 2). Plus, with Geralt, you had some slight control over his personality with your choices.
I feel the complete opposite, personally. The thing I dislike and feel most put off by in videogames is the escapist male fantasy aspect of it (that whole "let me do what I want to do and reshape everything as I see fit!" thing), where people want to feel like they're actually the character in the game. Blank slate, silent-protagonist characters in story-driven games tend to feed into that mentality, and it creeps the hell out of me and feels kind of gross, personally. I don't even like how you're usually given the option to rename well defined characters with your own name.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I set this poll to be a little longer than usual, turns out that was probably a good idea.

So many great 96 games. Masters of Orion II, Civilization II, Strife, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Daggerfall, and Diablo. Great year for PC games.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Oh..Super Mario 64 came out in 96? Do we even have to have a poll?

That was basically the turning point in video game history...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So many great 96 games. Masters of Orion II, Civilization II, Strife, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Daggerfall, and Diablo. Great year for PC games.

Yeah, there was nothing weak about 1996 on the PC side. That year was right up there with 1997, possibly even better. Another notable game was Tomb Raider.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just going by what a curated wikipedia list shows me, my favourites in no particular order:

Super Mario RPG
Daggerfall
Dragon Force
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Could be a few more but there are a couple in there I never played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad