HF Retro Game of the Year - 1994 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1994?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Voted Super Metroid, at the time I would have voted DKC but the game hasn’t held up as well as I thought it would have.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ummmm...

Where the f*** is X-COM?

Edit: Seriously - these are almost all console games. Awful list is awful. I'll overlook the omissions of Jagged Alliance, Master of Orion, and Master of Magic because those are a bit more niche, but X-Com is widely considered one of the greatest games ever made.

Reactions: NyQuil

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
People can say donkey Kong country is just nostalgia or it’s too short or easy or whatever but I play for the music and snow level graphics alone. The mine level was so cool when I was young. I still love this game.

Reactions: Fixxer

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Being an RPG main, the answer is Earthbound. Actually playing through it again right now. It was so different than all the other RPGs out at the time.

Reactions: Fixxer

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I really want to leave it off just because of how prickish you went about mentioning it, but there it is.

As for me being an RPG main, the answer is Earthbound. Actually playing through it again right now. It was so different than all the other RPGs out at the time.
But you made sure you included generic jRPG 52383 on there.

Tsk tsk man.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Being an RPG main, the answer is Earthbound. Actually playing through it again right now. It was so different than all the other RPGs out at the time.

I just started playing it for the first time ever a few weeks ago. The closest comparable I find are the original Pokemon gameboy games (Red and Blue). Mostly just the user interface and gameplay that is similar.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It took a good while but I had to vote for Super Metroid over FFVI even though FFVI was the first game to ever really reach me emotionally (ahhh to be 10 years old and learning English!).

Super Metroid is just a design masterpiece though, my mind says it is the better game even if my my heart disagrees.

What another great year. Shout out to Earthworm Jim!!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's not an official poll unless it starts with SniperHF's recycled "So we have game of the year votes from 2011 to 2017 but none from before, so why not do it now?" Just kidding.

This was an easy choice for me. X-COM is one of the best games of all time, invented a sub-genre (how many of the other options can say that?) and, 24 years later, is still the best example of that sub-genre.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Earthbound is definitely a close second for me. FFVI third.

I can see an argument for Donkey Kong Country still holding up as a "good" or enjoyable game, but no way does it hold up as great, brilliant, or masterful game, which these other games do. Hell, Megaman X2 is a significantly tighter and more refined game, IMO.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ummmm...

Where the **** is X-COM?

Edit: Seriously - these are almost all console games. Awful list is awful. I'll overlook the omissions of Jagged Alliance, Master of Orion, and Master of Magic because those are a bit more niche, but X-Com is widely considered one of the greatest games ever made.

All of those are classics.

MOO and MOM were fantastic.

Still play them today.

PilotRedSun

Aug 24, 2018
Earthbound came out in 1995.

1994 is when I lost interest in video games for a few years. I didn't like Sonic 3 at all compared to the Sonic 1 or even the overrated Sonic 2. I didn't play Super Metroid until the early 2000's (I want to say before Metroid Prime came out) when Electronic Gaming Monthly declared that it was the greatest game of all time. It was... okay/good? The intro up until you encounter the space pirates was impressive and foreboding and different but nothing else left as much of impression on me. I'll give it another shot one of these days.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I played Earthworm Jim fairly recently, god damn that game is difficult.
I made it to the underwater level with the submarine that you can drive around. Probably the hardest part is the game has that old-school difficulty where you have to re-start the whole game when you run out of lives.

Reactions: Nickmo82

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Super Metroid is the greatest game of all time, IMO.... so... that.

He says, sporting an Earthbound avatar.

Star Wars Tie Fighter should of made the list. Now with that said either way Super Metroid gets my vote.

TIE Fighter was damn good. 20 years later and they still haven't made a space shooter that can match TIE Fighter.

My vote went to Earthbound even though I didn't play it until after SSB. Still my favourite game of all time.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ummmm...

Where the **** is X-COM?

Keep in mind that a PC to play these games back in 1994 probably cost like $2000, while being near the end of their console gneration you could probably get a SNES for $100 at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad