Hf ranking prospect Pools #10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
BUF does have some good talent, but many of their best prospects have already been promoted to the NHL. Maybe if this thread involved the Top players under 25 they might be Top 5, but with the current crop compared to the others it’ll be a few rounds before they’re seriously considered.

Could you really name 5 that are better though?

Not really getting the Anaheim love. Nice group of forwards but their defence and goaltending is extremely mediocre.

Not feeling the Sens love myself.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Janne Kuokkanen - Martin Necas - Julien Gauthier
Jamieson Rees - Ryan Suzuki - Morgan Geekie
Patrik Puistola - Jack Drury - Stelio Mattheos

Jake Bean - Roland McKeown
Jesper Sellgren - Anttoni Honka

Alex Nedeljkovic
Pyotr Kochetkov

Top-6 could all be legit NHLers with a couple impact players (Necas + Suzuki + Rees). Defense is average overall but Bean and Sellgren have top-4 potential. Two excellent goalies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Could you really name 5 that are better though?

Not feeling the Sens love myself.

NHL Roster of: Eichel, Dahlin, Thompson, Reinhart & Middlestadt added to their prospects, they're still winners regardless of the Poll ranking.

I would rank: COL + NYR + EDM +BUF + PHI/MTL.

So maybe 4th? :help:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Do people not know who Glass, Krebs, Elvenes, Hague, Dorofeyev, Morozov, Korczak are ? Is that it ? I guess. A few of those are underrated prospects, but Glass could be the best player out of the NHL at the moment. This is crazy that theyre not voted in. Krebs was ranked as a top 10 prospect all year, Dorofeyev destroyed the MHL in scoring and played good in the KHL as a 18 years old.

Cody Glass is the best prospect left on the board, with Necas and Carolina doesn't have the quality depth to go against Vegas.

People are voting for Anaheim and Ottawa and thats crazy to me.

Glass vs Zegras vs Batherson is an easy Glass.
Hague vs Steel vs Brannstrom is Hague for me, but I can accept tie to Brannstrom/slight edge brannstrom.
Krebs vs Terry vs Brown is a landslide for Krebs
Dorofeyev vs Comtois vs JBD is either a three-way tie if you don't know much about Dorofeyev, or landslide if you've watched him.
Elvenes vs Lundestrom vs Thomson is close all over the board, IMO.
Morozov vs Tracey vs Norris is an edge to Tracey, pretty easily.
Korczak vs Jones vs Wolanin is a tie with Korczak and Jones IMO.

After that it does get murky and Vegas seems to lose most matchups as theyve traded a lot of picks away in the last three years, and they don't have any 16/15 picks, but the first four are so good that it's impossible to vote against them. People put too much weight on depth and not enough on the top prospects. A pool should be decided on your top prospect first and foremost and your top 5, 6 or 7, not top 15.[/B]

Really? They just stomped the AHL with the youngest team in the league last year

They don't just have a solid top end, they have what's likely by far the best depth left on the board.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Really? They just stomped the AHL with the youngest team in the league last year

They don't just have a solid top end, they have what's likely by far the best depth left on the board.
Yeah, wrong word to use, meant the depth of the top end or whatever. Theres a steep dropoff IMO after Necas. While the VGK have Krebs, Hague, Dorofeyev, Elvenes, Korczak and Morozov, who I'm higher on than most, the Canes have Puistola, Rees, Suzuki, then a steep drop off IMO. So the three don't really compare to me, and you also have a steep dropoff. Theres a lot of quantity, but I wouldn't say its quality.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, wrong word to use, meant the depth of the top end or whatever. Theres a steep dropoff IMO after Necas. While the VGK have Krebs, Hague, Dorofeyev, Elvenes, Korczak and Morozov, who I'm higher on than most, the Canes have Puistola, Rees, Suzuki, then a steep drop off IMO. So the three don't really compare to me, and you also have a steep dropoff. Theres a lot of quantity, but I wouldn't say its quality.

Quality and quantity is better on the Canes side. Four 1st round picks (Necas, Suzuki, Bean, Gauthier), eight 2nd round picks (Kuokkanen, Rees, Kochetkov, Nedeljkovic, Drury, Loustarinen, McKeown, Martin), three "swing for the fences" 3rd round picks this year (Puistola, Honka, Fensore), and multiple 3rd/later round picks who look like they have NHL talent (Geekie, Mattheos, and Sellgren).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Quality and quantity is better on the Canes side. Four 1st round picks (Necas, Suzuki, Bean, Gauthier), eight 2nd round picks (Kuokkanen, Rees, Kochetkov, Nedeljkovic, Drury, Loustarinen, McKeown, Martin), three "swing for the fences" 3rd round picks this year (Puistola, Honka, Fensore), and multiple 3rd/later round picks who look like they have NHL talent (Geekie, Mattheos, and Sellgren).
I don't agree. I am really not a fan of any of your first rounders aside from Necas, who I'm really high on, I don't put much weight on goaltending prospects and Rees and Drury are the only two I'm high on. Puistola and Fensore are really nice too, but again, nothing on Krebs, Dorofeyev, Korczak, Elvenes and Hague, even if you believe Glass and Necas are equal (I do).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Not getting the Anaheim love over Ottawa here. The have the slight edge up front, but the Sens blow them out of the water on D and in nets.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Yeah I'm a little surprised by the lack of Sens love / even Sens hate. Batherson, Brown, Norris, Formenton, Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson, and 4 goalies with #1 potential is easily top 10 worthy.

Admittedly, they probably only boast two forwards capable of being 1st liners (Batherson/Brown), but the depth on D and G is outstanding.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Could go either way with Anaheim or Ottawa. I don't think goaltending has much of a factor in these polls unless they have a top rated goalie prospect (someone like a Knight, Demko, Sorokin, etc.)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah I'm a little surprised by the lack of Sens love / even Sens hate. Batherson, Brown, Norris, Formenton, Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson, and 4 goalies with #1 potential is easily top 10 worthy.

Admittedly, they probably only boast two forwards capable of being 1st liners (Batherson/Brown), but the depth on D and G is outstanding.

My concern with Ottawa is that I don't project any of those guys as high end talent. Brannstrom is my favourite of them all, he seems like a 2/3 guy to me, Norris will be a 2c upside sign 3c downside, Batherson top 6/ top line guy, Brown I'm not so high on (lower than Norris), Formenton who knows, etc etc

It's a nice pool with lots of guys who even fit into Ottawa's system, good number of NHL talent players but I couldn't justify voting it ahead of any of the ones picked already or Vegas with Glass, NYI with their defencemen, Anaheim with their high end skilled forwards etc.

A lot of depth in the pool though.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Ottawa being undervalued because.. Being Ottawa? People really hate Melnyk that bad? Can't understand why Anaheim is tied right now with Vegas also on the board.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think Edmonton should be up there due to their very very strong defensive depth for prospects. Forwards lower them down though

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Tbh, Ill chime in and say that I believe Anaheim does not have better forwards prospects than Detroit.

Detroit/Ottawa should be behind Vegas but clearly ahead of Anaheim.

After seeing your list, tl;dr.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Say what you want about Dorion as a GM, but the guy is great in amateur scouting.

His drafts (2008 + 2009) as director of amateur scouting in Ottawa were pretty great. Beside Jared Cowan, not many mistakes and a lot of good picks (Karlsson, Lehner, Hoffman, Silfverberg, Smith, Boro, Wideman).

Ottawa drafts generally pretty well. Their pool is deep and well balanced. They deserve that spot IMO.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I think Edmonton should be up there due to their very very strong defensive depth for prospects. Forwards lower them down though

I have them a bit behind.

My concerns about Edmonton is how both of their top D prospects are boom or bust. I see Bouchard and Broberg each either becoming studs or not being able to out it together and becoming busts.

I have a tough time comparing them to a team like NYI.

I'd take Dobson over Bouchard, Wilde over Broberg and Aho is pretty comparable to Jone and Bear. Sure Edmonton has the quantity (Samourakov... Spelled wrong sorry) but NYI also has Wahlstrom who, even though I have a hate boner for, edges NYI over them. I think they are close though, I only have 1 or 2 remaining teams ahead of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad