HF Prospect Ratings

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Just wondering how reliable they are. I'm not trying to criticize anyone, but I'm looking at some and wondering if are they updated regularly or just put up and stay up there until they make the NHL?

Eg. If a player is an 8.0 C, can I be reasonably sure that they are still seen as a solid prospect or is there a good chance it's outdated?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Just wondering how reliable they are. I'm not trying to criticize anyone, but I'm looking at some and wondering if are they updated regularly or just put up and stay up there until they make the NHL?

Eg. If a player is an 8.0 C, can I be reasonably sure that they are still seen as a solid prospect or is there a good chance it's outdated?

Keep in mind these "ratings" are not done by hockey people and most of the players have never ever even been seen by the "writer".

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Keep in mind these "ratings" are not done by hockey people and most of the players have never ever even been seen by the "writer".

You post this in every single thread you post in...about people not seeing a player

You have such an elitist attitute towards people talking about prospects that you have to be a scout to know anything and if you haven't seen the player live you don't know anything about them.

Lighten up man, there's giving critism then there's being cynical about it.

Hyperkookeez*

Important/relevant prospects are updated regularly, the rest not so much. I think it depends on the team writer.

As for reliability, they might paint a picture of a prospects current ceiling, but in terms of long term reliability look no further than the prospect ratings 5-10 years back to see how inaccurate they are.

Take them with a grain of salt

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
You post this in every single thread you post in...about people not seeing a player

You have such an elitist attitute towards people talking about prospects that you have to be a scout to know anything and if you haven't seen the player live you don't know anything about them.

Lighten up man, there's giving critism then there's being cynical about it.

Not at all.
The original poster asked how reliable the rankings were.

How reliable are they when for the most part the players have been not seen, the people are not hockey people etc. etc.

Like a film critic who hasn't seen the movie or a food critic who hasn't sampled the meal.

You tell me how you can accurately rate/rank a player without seeing him play?
You can't.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston

The ratings are updated with each top-20 article, which come out in the Spring and Fall. The Spring ones are in the process of being done right now, most are out. For teams who don't have a new top-20 up, the ratings are from the Fall.

Not at all.

How reliable are they when for the most part the players have been not seen, the people are not hockey people etc. etc.

Like a film critic who hasn't seen the movie or a food critic who hasn't sampled the meal.

You can't.

I've seen every one of the Kings prospects I rate. Most writers have seen all of their own prospects. I can't claim to see every prospect listed on the site, but the ones I write about, I've seen.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Not at all.

You can't.

I have issues with a lot of the HF site material, but a lot of these lists are built from consultations with scouts who:

A) do see the players
B) understand what they're seeing better than most message board posters.

Your unilateral dismissal is, quite frankly, the least helpful thing possible.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Not at all.

You can't.

Who are you to say who has seen which players?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Who are you to say who has seen which players?

Then why do they often list and rank players that are no longer even property of said club?

Many of the prospects are playing around the world....you believe these people are flying around the globe?
At best a glimpse at a camp 6 months ago may have occurred.

Ever notice that basically every team is "stacked" ....amazing!

If Josh travels the globe to see the Kings propsects I respect that but would also say that is the exception not the norm.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Not at all.

You can't.

You really do and I don't think you notice it. These people do see the prospects, and you make a quick judgement that they haven't because they're not scouts or involved with teams.

They're not here to inform teams, we're not here to inform teams, this is information and no matter what none of it is completely wrong and there more right then wrong. Another example was a recent post of yours, it was a backhand attack on Dan Sallows when you said you can count the number of times hes watched a player live on his fingers, you're taking shots at peoples credibility when you know nothing about them or the work they do.

Like I said, critisms fine, but your elitist attitude in your posts doesn't help get your opinions across.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Then why do they often list and rank players that are no longer even property of said club?

Many of the prospects are playing around the world....you believe these people are flying around the globe?

If Josh travels the globe to see the Kings propsects I respect that but would also say that is the exception not the norm.

in all fairness you can watch games for pretty much every prospect on the internet, otherwise you could get in contact with beat writers of thier perspective teams for opinions. That being said I get the impression that most writers on this site dont put that level of effort in.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Take them with a grain of salt

A bit OT but I'm starting to get annoyed every time I see a comment including "with a grain of salt". If we took everything with a grain of salt that is recommended here in the posts we'd die of natrium overdose. It's so over used, even more than Olli photoshops. Just sayin'!

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston

:laugh: If only I had the money and time, I would.

I see them at prospect camps, training camps, from live feeds of CHL/AHL games, at international competition, and in highlights online. Some of the writers on here post their viewing reports on the staff board and communicate them to others, so that helps as well.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Between camps, live feeds, archived games, international tournaments, highlights and online scouting reports, do you really think it's that hard to get an idea of what a player might be like?

As for this business about players being listed with clubs they're not even on, the site isn't updated every minute. Even so, they do their best to keep up.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
You really do and I don't think you notice it. These people do see the prospects, and you make a quick judgement that they haven't because they're not scouts or involved with teams.

They're not here to inform teams, we're not here to inform teams, this is information and no matter what none of it is completely wrong and there more right then wrong. Another example was a recent post of yours, it was a backhand attack on Dan Sallows when you said you can count the number of times hes watched a player live on his fingers, you're taking shots at peoples credibility when you know nothing about them or the work they do.
Like I said, critisms fine, but your elitist attitude in your posts doesn't help get your opinions across.

You are serious..... I will not go there.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You are serious..... I will not go there.

I don't even care if its true or not about someones credibility.

You can't just go around insulting people saying "they're not hockey people" and thus they have no valid opinion. You don't have any idea about what people have seen or not seen, you really don't and its ridiculous you think you do when you go off about how certain people aren't credible.

Completely unprofessional and not to mention the fact your doing it on a message board. Which makes it worse. Three times a charm, critism is fine, dismissing people as "not hockey-people" thus their opinions aren't credible is laughable.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't even care if its true or not about someones credibility.

You can't just go around insulting people saying "they're not hockey people" and thus they have no valid opinion. You don't have any idea about what people have seen or not seen, you really don't and its ridiculous you think you do when you go off about how certain people aren't credible.

Completely unprofessional and not to mention the fact your doing it on a message board. Which makes it worse. Three times a charm, critism is fine, dismissing people as "not hockey-people" thus their opinions aren't credible is laughable.

I have to agree with you for once :laugh:

It's fine to laugh at HF's ratings and have your own opinions on the ratings and the players involved.

But it's pretty weak to call out people you have never even met for doing the ratings. Who knows who they are? Who knows what their hockey backgrounds are?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I have to agree with you for once :laugh:

It's fine to laugh at HF's ratings and have your own opinions on the ratings and the players involved.

But it's pretty weak to call out people you have never even met for doing the ratings. Who knows who they are? Who knows what their hockey backgrounds are?

I agree if you do not know their hockey background your questioning their knowledge is offside.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Another thing to consider is this:

HF has writers scattered around the WHL, OHL, QMJHL, throughout the NCAA, and around the globe.

It used to be (cant speak for it now because I haven't been HF staff in quite some time) that a lot of collaboration went on, with team writers checking in with guys in each region on the progress of each prospect.

So for example, if the LA Kings writer is based on the west coast, he'll contact guys from the OHL and QMJHL to check on Kings prospects.

With so the size of staff HF has, it is pretty easy to have eyes in a lot of arenas.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
Have you ever tried to measure body temperature with plastic toothbrush? Result you will get is as reliable as HF rankings.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Personally speaking, I find the rating system quite basic, and kind of misleading, in particular the Alpha portion, which is almost meaninless.

A- In the NHL, nobody gets A
B - The guys has one foot in the door, will be off the rankings very soon
C - The big bucket where 90% of players go
D - Bust potential is big.
E - E? No such thing!

Most guys start as a C, and graduate as a C. So what does it really mean? It tells me he still has a chance, somewhere between, cold day in heck, and pretty good actually!

IMO the rating needs to be expanded quite a bit, and estimate how close a guy is to the NHL.
I.E.
1st round picks get a B-C type rating
7th round picks get a E-F type rating

As players develop, F-E-D-C-B giving an indication that they are not only a prospect, but one that is in fact passing other guys drafted above him
If a guy looks like a Bust, B-C-D-E-F progression should be noted.

Example Jim O'Brien (late first rounder from Sens)
First rank C (just drafted
2nd C (Meh first year)
3rd D (Meh 2nd year, others passing him by)
4th D
5th E (Sens told him to pick up or pack up, he responded)
6th B (sees NHL time as a grinder)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Personally I don't even pay attention to the ratings.

The only thing I use HF prospects reports for are the players past history and the small writeups that are featured.

Ratings schmatings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad