HF Player ratings that you think are just very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Just out of curiosity, do you see MAF having higher ceiling than Lehtonen?

I do. Lehtonen has the potential to be a very good goalie, perenially All star, etc. Fleury could be a legend, but he could also bust.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Did you not watch Carter at the WJC? He was by far the most consistant and dangerous Canadian player throughout the tourney, thats ahead of Bergeron. When Getzlaf and Ladd were playing horrible at the start Carter still produced. The guy never gets to play with anyone good in the OHL, wait till he gets NHL level playmakers to work with. He will be downright scary.
You pretty much just made the Malkin>Carter case. Malkin is known to make his linemates better. Shirokov and Anshankov have had great WJC playing with him.
On the other hand like you stated with Carter. When he gets to play with better linemates he'll become a better player.

Lanny MacDonald*

Here's my thought on this whole issue. There are lots of players out there that have great skill sets and warts (Andrei Kostitsyn, Robbie Schremp). There are lots of players out there that have moderate skill sets but great character that makes you believe they will make it (Eric Nystrom). To me, the system looks only at where a player's upside is, not where he is likely to fit into the scheme of things, if he fits at all. The Liklihood score (the letter) is also a double edged score, one that requires too many balancing factors to be truely fair. It does not look at the player's potential to adapt to the game should he not attain his potential. The system also does not take into consideration the potential for over-achievement. These things need to be considered. Here's some examples using players pumped up on this site.

Andrei Kostitsyn (9.0C) - A player deemed one of the great prospects in the game today by a few, and thought of as a wasted pick by others. He has great puck skills and is a smooth fast skater. He's got decent size, but is not the type of guy to engage physically. He definitely likes to play the game his way and that is forward at all times. In short he has the skills to be a top line player. More than that? I don't know. I didn't see anything at the WJC that indicated greatness in his future. He's got the skills to be a top line player, but elite? I didn't see it (albeit it was one game). I think the rating might be a little bit high in my opinion and that an 8.0 is more realistic.

On his likelihood score I see some road blocks. He has to learn to play on his half of the ice. His heath is a major concern as well. He must learn to play the North American game and commit to that change. All of these things are very difficult to do for a young player who has had everything handed to him his whole life. Especially the assimilation to the new culture. Also I don't see him as a player who can change his game and become a two way player. It depends on how he is handled. Montreal will be desperate to have this kid step in and be an offensive dynamo for them which may back fire. I think he'll get a chance and that 20 game to one season stretch will define him in short order. Because of his top end skills I think that it is very unlikely that he is going to drop anything below the second line and hang around the NHL. He will have to play on that line or he will be playing in another league, so he gets a B rating from me (with the cavet to follow down the page).

Robbie Schremp (8.5B) - This places his "skill level" at a first line forward to an elite level player, with the likelihood of him attaining that being a B, beaning he should attain that level or drop down to at worst a first line forward or top end second line forward. In essence this is say that Robbie Schremp WILL be an NHL player and WILL be a top line player. There is no doubt on this. The 8.5 puts his talent into the stratosphere, menaing very few weaknesses in his game. The B rating means that he will adjust and will be an NHL player close to the level projected.

Now looking at Schremps 8.5 rating, this seems a huge exageration. Schremp is lacking in the skating department, it has been pointed out at every turn, so that would knock him down to at absolute best an 8.0. As well Schremp is not recognized as a solid two way player by any stretch of the imagination. The days of having one way players in the NHL are long gone. This will knock his potential down further IMO. I think he gets knocked down to a 7.0 because of his skating and because he is not a strong two way player. Yes, there are all sorts of players that were not strong skaters that went on to great careers (Yzerman and Sakic for instance), but they were also top end two way players. Schremp is more of a Marc Savard type player, which pegs him as a second line player.

Looking at the likelihood score of a B, I see a little bit of a stretch. Physical attributes come into play here and we know that Schremp's skating and two way play is a question mark. That knocks his rating down. Character and attitude come into play as well, and that has been a problem during his junior career whether people want to admit it or not (it is documented and is why he was passed so often in the draft). That is going to affect his grade. Then the state of the game and the team for which he was drafted comes into play. The game is no played with a premium on speed and being able to contribute at both ends of the ice, especially the teams which lack bonifide scoring talent. If you are not a sure thing to score, you better be able to keep them out of the net in your end. Now while the Oilers would love to have a bonifide scorer on the team, and may accept a short coming to get that, is the player capable of filling that role? I don't see them doing this for Schremp, especially when the vastly more talented Hemsky got backburnered this past season. Schremp will have to prove he can play at the NHL speed and play two way hockey based on the Oilers actions. So while Schremp will have to play on the top two lines to be successful I'm not sure he has the skating ability or character to get him there. I think a C or C+ is a fair rating based on the challenges that the player faces. He must change his game dramatically (improved skating and developing defensive awareness) to make the NHL. To me, Schremp is a 7.0C+.

Eric Nystrom (7.0B) - Looking at Nystrom I think this grade is very generous. I think that he is at best suited to be a third line player. He has great skating ability and had great smarts. He does not display his ability with puck while playing but does so in practice. The skills are there but he choses to play the game that his coaches as him to. To me, because of the way he plays the game, he's more of a 5.5 or 6 to where he fits in skill wise.

On to his likelihood score I think it could be higher. Nystrom has decent abilities, but he is so focused on execution of his role that he does not use his inate skill. This is something that endears him to scouts. They see a player that is so focused and so coachable that they say he's a sure fire player. He's already got the skating ability and defensive awareness aspects that he is considered a sure NHL player in some capacity. He's a guy that already shows the comittment and leadership to make it to the NHL and is a really great bet. To me Nystrom is a lock to be an NHL player, but nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner. To me that makes him a 5.5A.

Now something that I think should be added to the player rating is "Bust Factor". There are certain players that you look at and you just know they don't get it. They may have all the talent in the world and score all the points in junior, but you know they do not get what it means to be a professional. These are the guys that you know will never adapt or will never learn that the game is played at both ends of the ice. They either play in a given position or they are peddling bugers at McDonalds. These guys are the ones that you usually see toiling in the minors or heading over to Europe after the expiration of their first contract. Conversely there are players that you look at and they just will themselves to excel at every level. You know they will be in the NHL in some capacity even if they have to remake themselves along way and become a player they were not in junior. These types of players hardly ever bust. To me, the Bust Factor should be handed applied as High, Moderate or Low.

For our examples their scores work out as such.

Andrei Kostitsyn - 8.0C, Bust Factor: High

Robbie Schremp - 7.0C+, Bust Factor: Moderate

Eric Nystrom - 5.5A, Bust Factor: Low

As you can see there are some players there with different skill sets but very different chances of making it to the NHL. Kostitsyn has the skills to be a top end player but nothing after that. He plays top line or he doesn't hav an NHL job. Robbie Schremp has moderate skills and may be a little more flexible. He has some skill challenges to work on, but is a safer pick. Eric Nystrom is a talented enough player, but displays so many intangibles that it is hard to imagine him not willing his way into a jersey someplace in some capacity. He will not a be a star player, but he will play. At that point it all boils down to what you are looking for in your team. A safe pick like Nystrom or a potenial home run/strike out like Kostitsyn.

Thatls the way I see the rating game anyways. Flame away.

Guy Flaming

The Iconoclast said:
Robbie Schremp (8.5B) - This places his "skill level" at a first line forward to an elite level player, with the likelihood of him attaining that being a B, beaning he should attain that level or drop down to at worst a first line forward or top end second line forward. In essence this is say that Robbie Schremp WILL be an NHL player and WILL be a top line player. There is no doubt on this. The 8.5 puts his talent into the stratosphere, menaing very few weaknesses in his game. The B rating means that he will adjust and will be an NHL player close to the level projected.

Now looking at Schremps 8.5 rating, this seems a huge exageration. Schremp is lacking in the skating department, it has been pointed out at every turn, so that would knock him down to at absolute best an 8.0. As well Schremp is not recognized as a solid two way player by any stretch of the imagination. The days of having one way players in the NHL are long gone. This will knock his potential down further IMO. I think he gets knocked down to a 7.0 because of his skating and because he is not a strong two way player. Yes, there are all sorts of players that were not strong skaters that went on to great careers (Yzerman and Sakic for instance), but they were also top end two way players. Schremp is more of a Marc Savard type player, which pegs him as a second line player.

Looking at the likelihood score of a B, I see a little bit of a stretch. Physical attributes come into play here and we know that Schremp's skating and two way play is a question mark. That knocks his rating down. Character and attitude come into play as well, and that has been a problem during his junior career whether people want to admit it or not (it is documented and is why he was passed so often in the draft). That is going to affect his grade. Then the state of the game and the team for which he was drafted comes into play. The game is no played with a premium on speed and being able to contribute at both ends of the ice, especially the teams which lack bonifide scoring talent. If you are not a sure thing to score, you better be able to keep them out of the net in your end. Now while the Oilers would love to have a bonifide scorer on the team, and may accept a short coming to get that, is the player capable of filling that role? I don't see them doing this for Schremp, especially when the vastly more talented Hemsky got backburnered this past season. Schremp will have to prove he can play at the NHL speed and play two way hockey based on the Oilers actions. So while Schremp will have to play on the top two lines to be successful I'm not sure he has the skating ability or character to get him there. I think a C or C+ is a fair rating based on the challenges that the player faces. He must change his game dramatically (improved skating and developing defensive awareness) to make the NHL. To me, Schremp is a 7.0C+.

Thatls the way I see the rating game anyways. Flame away.

Well thought out and explained, thank you for your input. As I said in that other thread, fine to disagree but explain why and this time you did that very well :handclap: .

I'd like to explain that all I've heard about him this year in regards to his defensive play is a major improvement, thus the ice time opportunities Dale Hunter is giving him. He takes power skating in the off season in Regina each summer so he's working on the skating too. He's not NHL ready today but he will be when the time comes. Attitude... you'll notice no one is writing anything about supposed attitude problems this year. Why? Because they weren't justified last year.

Lastly, Hemsky didn't lose playing time because he was bad defensively, it was because he wasn't producing points.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Hmm. Based on the current standards, this is how I'd rate (but not rank; the list is only based on upside) some of the Finnish prospects and young NHLers:

Kari Lehtonen..........9.5 C or 9 B. Make your pick. I'd rate Fleury a 9.5D or 9 C btw, he's a bit of a wild card.
Joni Pitkänen...........8.5 B or 9 C
Hannu Toivonen.......8.5 C or 9 C
Tuomo Ruutu...........8.0 A
Jesse Joensuu.........8.0 C
Tuukka Rask...........8.0 D
Antero Niittymäki......8.0 C or 7.5 C
Lauri Tukonen.........7.5 C
Mikko Koivu.............7.5 C or 7.0 B
Sami Lepistö...........7.5 D or 7.0 D
Petteri Nokelainen....7.0 B
Sean Bergenheim.....7.0 C or 7.0 B
Lauri Korpikoski........7.0 C
Valtteri Filppula.......6.5 B or 7.0 B
Jussi Jokinen...........6.5 C or 7.0 C
Jarkko Immonen......6.5 C

Note that these rankings obviously do not reflect their current level of play in any way. It's all about speculating the future.

And as you can see, while I'm generous in rating the potential of these guys I'm not that thrilled about throwing A's around. I don't think you should necessarily 'penalize' prospects for their weaknesses by reducing both their upside and likelihood of reaching it. I'd rather give a prospect a too high a potential than a too low one as I feel there are simply too many factors in the equation to accurately predict the future. So the way I see it, there's no such thing as over-achievement when it comes to prospects.

mooseOAK*

I'll have to go with Derek Roy an an 8B when all other players with the same profile are dismissed as career AHLer's or marginal NHL prospects.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Many have already been mentioned but I'd like to mention Chris Porter, whom I have seen play three times with UND this year and is currently rated a 2 on the Blackhawks page.

This guy has a lot of raw talent and should likely be a minimum of 6, with a high risk factor. He tends to disappear for stretches, doesn't use his teammates very well but once he has the puck and gets going, is extremely difficult to stop, goes end to end and has nice scoring hands. He has a very good build. A big kid who moves well. But he can be a total non-factor. It's just that the raw talent is too good to ignore and the 2 rating is not representative at all of his abilities. When he gets hot, he can totally take control of a game. There were periods where he left guys like Stafford, Zajac in the dust, literally.

I would have him as a 6.5D, perhaps 7D. He will likely never make it but he definitely has NHL potential and could develop into a strong scoring forward ideal for a poor or maybe average team. And if he developed consistency and maturity, watch out.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Carl O'Steen said:
To start the discussion off, I'd have to say the latest update on Christopher Higgins, which currently is at 8B. Meaning his potential is a 1st line forward, and the probability is that he should reach potential, though it says he may drop 1 rating to at worst a 2nd line forward.

Now, I'm a big big fan of Higgins, have been since watching him at the 2003 WJC. The guy can flat out skate and has the smarts and feet to become a NHL player. I have no doubt that he'll be playing in the league at some capacity, but I don't think he has the offensive abilities to play an offensive role in the NHL. HF.com has him ranked as a 1st liner, at worst a 2nd line forward. But he hasn't shown me the offensive skills to play anywhere higher than a good 2nd line forward. Realistically, I have him penciled in as a great 3rd line player with 40-50 point upside (20-30).

I don't think it's "way" off... but it is somewhat overrated. Not Higgs, but the expectations.

How much have you followed Higgins? He's been his teams leading scorer at Avalon, Yale, Team USA U-20 as an 18 year old, and was 6th in rookie scoring in the AHL as a 20 year old. The guy has put up points everywhere he's played. This season he has been snake bit. Lets see how he ends the year and what he does next year. On a poor Yale team he was the top scorer as a Freshman, and sophomore, was named top player in the ECAC and was named one of the top ten players in the NCAA as a sophomore with limited talent around him.

But Higgins is the kind of player that will play in the NHL as he can play any role just about outside of tough guy. His offensive upside is a quesiton mark until he proves otherwise in the NHL, and who knows when that will be. If there was an NHL today, I would think he'd be up with the club.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Vlad The Impaler said:
Many have already been mentioned but I'd like to mention Chris Porter, whom I have seen play three times with UND this year and is currently rated a 2 on the Blackhawks page.

This guy has a lot of raw talent and should likely be a minimum of 6, with a high risk factor. He tends to disappear for stretches, doesn't use his teammates very well but once he has the puck and gets going, is extremely difficult to stop, goes end to end and has nice scoring hands. He has a very good build. A big kid who moves well. But he can be a total non-factor. It's just that the raw talent is too good to ignore and the 2 rating is not representative at all of his abilities. When he gets hot, he can totally take control of a game. There were periods where he left guys like Stafford, Zajac in the dust, literally.

I would have him as a 6.5D, perhaps 7D. He will likely never make it but he definitely has NHL potential and could develop into a strong scoring forward ideal for a poor or maybe average team. And if he developed consistency and maturity, watch out.

Just looking at all the Hawks prospect ratings, it really makes you wonder how in the hell they are 3rd overall. Teams that are rated in the 10-20s almost all have more players with higher potential ratings than the Hawks. Either Hawk prospects are underated or others are overrated. Or possibly they just dont deserve #3.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The 8.5 puts his talent into the stratosphere, menaing very few weaknesses in his game. The B rating means that he will adjust and will be an NHL player close to the level projected.

Stratosphere? Maybe an 8.5 is a half-grade too high- but he does have the potential to be a first line forward, right?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Iconoclast said:
Andrei Kostitsyn (9.0C) - A player deemed one of the great prospects in the game today by a few, and thought of as a wasted pick by others. He has great puck skills and is a smooth fast skater. He's got decent size, but is not the type of guy to engage physically. He definitely likes to play the game his way and that is forward at all times. In short he has the skills to be a top line player. More than that? I don't know. I didn't see anything at the WJC that indicated greatness in his future. He's got the skills to be a top line player, but elite? I didn't see it (albeit it was one game). I think the rating might be a little bit high in my opinion and that an 8.0 is more realistic.

On his likelihood score I see some road blocks. He has to learn to play on his half of the ice. His heath is a major concern as well. He must learn to play the North American game and commit to that change. All of these things are very difficult to do for a young player who has had everything handed to him his whole life. Especially the assimilation to the new culture. Also I don't see him as a player who can change his game and become a two way player. It depends on how he is handled. Montreal will be desperate to have this kid step in and be an offensive dynamo for them which may back fire. I think he'll get a chance and that 20 game to one season stretch will define him in short order. Because of his top end skills I think that it is very unlikely that he is going to drop anything below the second line and hang around the NHL. He will have to play on that line or he will be playing in another league, so he gets a B rating from me (with the cavet to follow down the page).

The rating could easily be too high, since it's just my personal opinion. But your making an opinion on him based off one game, where he played with a team that up until the USA game, had never won a qualifying game EVER.

I'm no expert, but I'll point some things out, since I've seen him play internationally, in the RSL, the Habs development camp and several AHL games.

His puck skills are impressive imo, as he can protect the puck with his body, he can also move the puck well. The problem he's running into in Hamilton is that he's trying to beat too many guys or holding onto the puck for too long. His flashy moves often aren't panning out, and he's got to learn to use his teammates better and more often. His skating and foot speed are both strong assets for him.

His size is better then decent. He's only 6'0, but that doesn't mean much. The difference between 6'0 and 6'2 is not much when you have a solid frame. Kostitsyn has a good body frame and more importantly he has impressive lower body strength. This gives him good balance and makes him harder to knock off the puck. He still could use to improve his lower body strength, cause the stronger he gets the better off he will be.

He's not the kind of player that will engage physically often, but he will take the body no doubt. He can hit hard and he does have some fire to his game. He will stick up for teammates although I've never seen him fight and hopefully I never do. I have seen him get hit hard only to get up and crush the player right back. I dont think he'll ever be considered a very physical player, but he will take the body from what I've seen.

As for his defensive game, he had none what so ever. He looked lost whenever the play was in his own end. But he's improved a great deal since working with coach Doug Jarvis. I also don't think he will ever be known for his two way play, but I do think he's improved a lot over a short time and should hopefully continue to get stronger in his own end. If you saw him last year to this year, you would see he has changed his game already. This kid was brutal in his own end last year, but already he has improved by leaps and bounds. I'm not saying he's even all that strong in his own end, but he now seems to understand what is expected of him in his own end, which is something he didn't seem to understand last year. He still needs a lot of work but IMO he's come a long ways already. Another problem I see with him is that he tends to take shifts off, or not work as hard as he could during some shifts. Don't know how badly this will effect his game though.

Is he an elite level prospect? I happen to think so, as he has impressive offensive abilities. His shot is his strongest asset, as it's quick and heavy but needs a lot of work on accuracy. He is a very underrated playmaker, he can make some nifty passes. He also can make some great dekes, but he still is a ways away from learning when to use the deke and when not to. He likely won't get away with a lot of those moves, so this could be a problem for him in the NHL. With his size, skating, speed, strength, I do think he will create a lot of chances for himself, but he still has a lot of work to do just like most 19 year old prospects. I do agree his rating could be too high, but one game is a tough sell to go off of.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
theBob said:
Just looking at all the Hawks prospect ratings, it really makes you wonder how in the hell they are 3rd overall. Teams that are rated in the 10-20s almost all have more players with higher potential ratings than the Hawks. Either Hawk prospects are underated or others are overrated. Or possibly they just dont deserve #3.
No one watchs the Hawks' page, remember. The depth charts are all messed up -- Petri Kontiola is somehow listed as their #1 center prospect, while Fraser is 7th and Yak 8th ... Seabrook's 11th on the D chart, yet 3rd on the team chart.

leafaholix*

montreal said:
How much have you followed Higgins? He's been his teams leading scorer at Avalon, Yale, Team USA U-20 as an 18 year old, and was 6th in rookie scoring in the AHL as a 20 year old. The guy has put up points everywhere he's played. This season he has been snake bit. Lets see how he ends the year and what he does next year. On a poor Yale team he was the top scorer as a Freshman, and sophomore, was named top player in the ECAC and was named one of the top ten players in the NCAA as a sophomore with limited talent around him.

But Higgins is the kind of player that will play in the NHL as he can play any role just about outside of tough guy. His offensive upside is a quesiton mark until he proves otherwise in the NHL, and who knows when that will be. If there was an NHL today, I would think he'd be up with the club.
I've been following Higgins since meeting him at the 2002 draft. Was surprised to see how talented he was at the 2003 WJC and have followed him in the NCAA and AHL.

Yes, he's scored points at that level, but has stalled in the AHL. I've seen him this season in the AHL as well as last year and he didn't come off as strong enough offensively to translate it to the NHL.

To question a "8B" rating is perfectly reasonable, is it not?

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Carl O'Steen said:
Yes, he's scored points at that level, but has stalled in the AHL.

The whole Hamilton team has stalled offensively. 84 goals scored in 37 games speaks volume! Not only that, he was injured twice this season, and both times he was just starting to gain momentum. Not trying to find excuses for his disapointing offensive production, just stating the facts. The fact he *is* creating scoring chances, getting 5 or more shots per game, but he's just snake bitten this year. Hopefully his 2-goal performance last night is the beginning of a good streak for him.

Nimrods Son

The Blackhawks have the best group of D prospects of any team in the NHL, bar none.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
I've been following Higgins since meeting him at the 2002 draft. Was surprised to see how talented he was at the 2003 WJC and have followed him in the NCAA and AHL.

Yes, he's scored points at that level, but has stalled in the AHL. I've seen him this season in the AHL as well as last year and he didn't come off as strong enough offensively to translate it to the NHL.

Yeah right. You're a homer Carl.

If Higgins was a Leaf prospect he would be something like the best two-way prospect ever.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Carl O'Steen said:

Not at that level, but EVERY level. Everywhere he has played he has either been his teams top scorer or close to it. Last year only 5 rookies in the AHL had more points, and in the playoffs he led the Dogs in goals.

Like it or not he's a skilled offensive player. To question his 8B, is fine, but to say he's not shown offensive upside? Yes this year has not gone well, but it's still early, lets see how he does when the seasons over. 4 of the last 5 years Higgins has been able to produce offensively at a high pace. This year he hasn't. The AHL is stronger then in the past and Hamilton has had major trouble getting any offense at times, but hopefully Higgins can work through that.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
One guy for the Stars who might be a little low is Antti Miettinen. Used to be a 7.5, and has been downgraded to 6.5B, which is a little off. Sure he is now injured, but his upside is still that of someone similar to Jere Lehtinen. His number should still be 7.5, with a C attached due to his recent injury problems.

Lanny MacDonald*

montreal said:
The rating could easily be too high, since it's just my personal opinion...

I think you kind of missed the point of the post. It was not to slam individual players, but the rating system itself. To me there is something missing and that is the likelihood of the player finding his way into the NHL. That is boom or bust. Add that to the equation and yu have something more concrete IMO. Kostitsyn has great skills, but he is boom or bust. He either plays on the first line and scores a ton, or he's headed back to Russia and not playing in North America. That was the point.

leafaholix*

montreal said:
Not at that level, but EVERY level. Everywhere he has played he has either been his teams top scorer or close to it. Last year only 5 rookies in the AHL had more points, and in the playoffs he led the Dogs in goals.
Well, those are inflated comments since he's played at 2 levels... and I didn't say he wasn't skilled. But I said he didn't have the kind of offensive skills to be a top line forward in the NHL.

As for his playoff performance, he had 3 goals in 10 games... 2 other players had 3 goals... and Higgins ranked last on the team with a -7. It's not like he was taking care of his own end and contributing like he usually does.

Like it or not he's a skilled offensive player. To question his 8B, is fine, but to say he's not shown offensive upside? Yes this year has not gone well, but it's still early, lets see how he does when the seasons over. 4 of the last 5 years Higgins has been able to produce offensively at a high pace. This year he hasn't. The AHL is stronger then in the past and Hamilton has had major trouble getting any offense at times, but hopefully Higgins can work through that.
You misunderstood what I said.

I never said he didn't show offensive upside, I said the talents he does possess aren't exactly translatable to the NHL for similar success, as a top line forward.

Christopher Higgins isn't even on par with Matthew Stajan at this point (even though he's 6 months older and a full year ahead in terms of where he stands development-wise), and Leaf fans consider Stajan's upside as a #2 forward. Stajan's struggled this season and has still managed to outscore Higgins by a significant margine.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
To me there is something missing and that is the likelihood of the player finding his way into the NHL

The rating system does tell you that- at least it does for me. It's the culmination of the prospect and potential ratings.

Examples:

Tomas Slovak, 6.0C

The prospect grade tells us that Slovak has the potential to be a 5th-6th defenseman in the NHL. The C says that the chance he reaches that is 80 percent (note how it says "The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent...")

So he's got an 80% percent likelihood of becoming a 5th-6th defenseman in the NHL- therefore he's got an 80% likelihood of having a consistent role in the NHL. Mind you, that doesn't answer your question- likelihood of getting into the NHL at all, (if I'm interpreting that correctly) but that changes based on roster needs. Certain players might be 13th forward/7th defender on one club, and be 3rd pairing on another.

Maybe that's just me, though. I always thought that was the way it worked.

se7en*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
JDD being an 8.5B...Wow...Way off. Could be a good goalie but 8.5B?

Did JDD steal your girlfriend or something? You whine about him so much that its beyond redundant.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Dark Metamorphosis said:
I don't think its his own little world...Malkin's ranked as a top 5 prospect here at HF and was just taken #2 overall. Who are these many others who think Carter's a better prospect than Malkin? Just because you're not a Philly/Pitt fan doesn't mean you're not talking out of your ass.

Why exactly won't his game translate to the NHL? It's not like Malkin shies away from contact. He can take/give hits as i'm sure you saw during the WJC.

I wonder what would happen if i made a Carter vs. Malkin poll :dunce:
I don't care what he is ranked by HF. I don't really care if people agree with me on this one or not. I don't see Malkin having the complete package Carter has, not even close. Malkin didn't impress me at the WJC, he played well but not even close to the potential he should have vs USA in the first game and Canada in the last. He wasn't even out verses Canada's top defensive pair. Malkin is a good prospect but like any european who plays in a totaly different enviroment, he has to prove he can translate him game to the North American level. At the time I don't think he will do so like many of these pittsburgh homers think he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad