HF Player ratings that you think are just very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Nimrods Son said:
Andrew Ladd being rated a 7.5B is nonsense in my opinion. As I take it, this means he is a potential first/second line forward and may drop to be a second/third liner. I really feel that his play has dropped off considerably this year and he is the main reason that the Hitmen have failed to live up to expectations. I think the fact that he is a media darling (always, always, always doing interviews eg. during the third period of tonights game he was guest commentator for the radio) and the media are always talking him up like he's something greater than he really is. At this point I would have him rated at no more than a 4th line grinder a few years down the line, if he works at his game.
I don't know why but I see Eric Cole in Andrew Ladd. Ladd isn't quite as fast as Cole but they play similar.

Nimrods Son

I get to see Ladd play alot here in Calgary and the guy is honestly an embarassment to the team. I just see so much laziness in his game. Not only that, but he was the fourth overall pick AND he played on possibly the best Team Canada at the WJs ever!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jason MacIsaac said:
I think Carter is a better prospect then Malkin in general. He is more NHL ready, his game will adapt to the NHL better and has way more skills then Malkin. Malkin has the puckhandling and vision. Thats about it. I don't see Malkin with the skills to be anything more then a good first line center. I would rate him 8.5 B/C meaning he could go from a good 1st line center to an average 2nd line center...like Kozlov.
:lol

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I will probably piss alot of Pens fans off but here I go:

I will go on quote as saying Malkins offensive success in RSL will not translate to the NHL level. Everyone sees/knows how obstruction is called in RSL and WJC. Malkin can work his magic in that league by using his frame to keep players to the outside. With the lack of stickwork and infractions allowed, Malkin has all the time and space to use his creativity. In the NHL along the boards he will be punished and his time and space will be taken away resulting in an unhappy Malkin. I love taking wild guesses at these types of things. He may even prove me wrong.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
I will probably piss alot of Pens fans off but here I go:

I will go on quote as saying Malkins offensive success in RSL will not translate to the NHL level. Everyone sees/knows how obstruction is called in RSL and WJC. Malkin can work his magic in that league by using his frame to keep players to the outside. With the lack of stickwork and infractions allowed, Malkin has all the time and space to use his creativity. In the NHL along the boards he will be punished and his time and space will be taken away resulting in an unhappy Malkin. I love taking wild guesses at these types of things. He may even prove me wrong.
I love making predictions on players, but someone always rips me and says that you can't project him to be like so-and-so. They must not understand that scouts do this for a living and we're just trying to 'play scout'.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I'm not sure I'd rate anybody just out of a draft as an A

I'd even go as far as to rate Crosby as a 10C, Carter is probably a 8.5-9B, but only because he's older, more experenced.

Malkin, he's probably a 9B-C.

There needs to be half ratings for these letter grades, as there are quite a few players that "should" reach their potential, but also could drop 2 ratings

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
And Jason MacIsaac underate Malkin badly. :)

I'm not a Pens or Russian fan by any means, but come on... saying Carter has way more skills than Malkin is at least far-fetched.

I'd give Malkin a 9B rate myself... and a 8B for Carter.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Broadway Crosby said:
I love making predictions on players, but someone always rips me and says that you can't project him to be like so-and-so. They must not understand that scouts do this for a living and we're just trying to 'play scout'.

So you think scouts are always right?

Oh boy. Scouts are humans like us. They have seen more game than us but that's about it. They aren't always right.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Toonces said:
I'm not sure I'd rate anybody just out of a draft as an A

I'd even go as far as to rate Crosby as a 10C, Carter is probably a 8.5-9B, but only because he's older, more experenced.

Malkin, he's probably a 9B-C.

There needs to be half ratings for these letter grades, as there are quite a few players that "should" reach their potential, but also could drop 2 ratings

In fact I'd give a A rating for a player like, say, Michael Richards. It is very reasonable to say that he will be at worst a third-line forward, by example.

But I agree that any prospects with a 8, 9 or 10 rate shouldn't have a A.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jason MacIsaac said:
Your homerism is just to large to please.
I don't feel the need to explain to someone the obvious.
Malkin> Carter
And I don't feel you can judge anyone's homerism really! :lol

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
markov` said:
So you think scouts are always right?

Oh boy. Scouts are humans like us. They have seen more game than us but that's about it. They aren't always right.
No, where did I even hint of saying that? I said that it's fun to pretend to be like scouts and project a players future and that no one should say that they're an idiot for doing it.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Evilo said:
I don't feel the need to explain to someone the obvious.
Malkin> Carter
And I don't feel you can judge anyone's homerism really! :lol
Actually I'm in a prime position to judge homerism since I don't hold any hatred for any team, even rivals so I can tell when someone is being a homer which you clearly are. I have read your posts the last 3 months and it spews it. I don't really care about that. You can stay in your little world (france) and think Malkin is such a great prospect and all but my opinion along with many others is that Carter is a top 5 prospect in the world today. He just happens to being higher on my list then Malkin. You can take my opinion with a grain a salt when it involves Devils prospects if you want but I hold no grudges between Philly and Pittsburgh.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
markov` said:
And Jason MacIsaac underate Malkin badly. :)

I'm not a Pens or Russian fan by any means, but come on... saying Carter has way more skills than Malkin is at least far-fetched.

I'd give Malkin a 9B rate myself... and a 8B for Carter.
Did you not watch Carter at the WJC? He was by far the most consistant and dangerous Canadian player throughout the tourney, thats ahead of Bergeron. When Getzlaf and Ladd were playing horrible at the start Carter still produced. The guy never gets to play with anyone good in the OHL, wait till he gets NHL level playmakers to work with. He will be downright scary.

Safir*

Jason MacIsaac said:
Did you not watch Carter at the WJC? He was by far the most consistant and dangerous Canadian player throughout the tourney, thats ahead of Bergeron. When Getzlaf and Ladd were playing horrible at the start Carter still produced. The guy never gets to play with anyone good in the OHL, wait till he gets NHL level playmakers to work with. He will be downright scary.

Do you know that Carter is 1 1/2 years older than Malkin?

For clarification. How tall and heaver are Malkin and Carter?

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
I agree with those who said Parise, Schremp, JDD and Phaneuf.

Also, I think Tjutin having a rating of 8.5A is a little too high. I'd have him at 8 A or B i think.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh i'd agree 8.5A is a little high for tyutin...maybe 8.5B cuz i think he has a high upside if he can reach it, but probably won't max out

but i'm not the most objective :D

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Jason MacIsaac said:
Actually I'm in a prime position to judge homerism since I don't hold any hatred for any team, even rivals so I can tell when someone is being a homer which you clearly are. I have read your posts the last 3 months and it spews it. I don't really care about that. You can stay in your little world (france) and think Malkin is such a great prospect and all but my opinion along with many others is that Carter is a top 5 prospect in the world today. He just happens to being higher on my list then Malkin. You can take my opinion with a grain a salt when it involves Devils prospects if you want but I hold no grudges between Philly and Pittsburgh.
I don't think its his own little world...Malkin's ranked as a top 5 prospect here at HF and was just taken #2 overall. Who are these many others who think Carter's a better prospect than Malkin? Just because you're not a Philly/Pitt fan doesn't mean you're not talking out of your ass.

Why exactly won't his game translate to the NHL? It's not like Malkin shies away from contact. He can take/give hits as i'm sure you saw during the WJC.

I wonder what would happen if i made a Carter vs. Malkin poll :dunce:

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jason MacIsaac said:
I think Carter is a better prospect then Malkin in general. He is more NHL ready, his game will adapt to the NHL better and has way more skills then Malkin. Malkin has the puckhandling and vision. Thats about it. I don't see Malkin with the skills to be anything more then a good first line center. I would rate him 8.5 B/C meaning he could go from a good 1st line center to an average 2nd line center...like Kozlov.

See, this is why I stopped listening to what you had to say a year ago.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
One problem.

Is Tukonen rated too high, or is Nokelainen rated too low?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I see Tukonen's scoring potential being a little higher than Nokelainen's, but I see Nokelainen's defence being better in potential.

At the moment Tukonen is 7.5B and Nokelainen is 6.0

I personally see both being 7B, but hey, that's just me.

Jason MacIsaac said:
I would actually think Carter should be 9 C or and Fleury should be 9.5 C.

Just out of curiosity, do you see MAF having higher ceiling than Lehtonen?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
See, this is why I stopped listening to what you had to say a year ago.
Yes, I did that too, but sometimes, you just have to throw a lol smilie because so many posters ignore him that he thinks he has the consensus ("see me and others think Carter > Malkin")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->