HF Player ratings that you think are just very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

To start the discussion off, I'd have to say the latest update on Christopher Higgins, which currently is at 8B. Meaning his potential is a 1st line forward, and the probability is that he should reach potential, though it says he may drop 1 rating to at worst a 2nd line forward.

Now, I'm a big big fan of Higgins, have been since watching him at the 2003 WJC. The guy can flat out skate and has the smarts and feet to become a NHL player. I have no doubt that he'll be playing in the league at some capacity, but I don't think he has the offensive abilities to play an offensive role in the NHL. HF.com has him ranked as a 1st liner, at worst a 2nd line forward. But he hasn't shown me the offensive skills to play anywhere higher than a good 2nd line forward. Realistically, I have him penciled in as a great 3rd line player with 40-50 point upside (20-30).

I don't think it's "way" off... but it is somewhat overrated. Not Higgs, but the expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Zach Parise 8.5A, i'll keep saying it, i don't see the 1st line potential, he's going a very good 2nd line player maybe a borderline 1st line centre if they don't have the 1st line C, point prediction 20-25 goals 55-65 points, i think the A is too much, he gets a B at most, you give A's for certain players

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
HemskyFreak83 said:
Zach Parise 8.5A, i'll keep saying it, i don't see the 1st line potential, he's going a very good 2nd line player maybe a borderline 1st line centre if they don't have the 1st line C, point prediction 20-25 goals 55-65 points, i think the A is too much, he gets a B at most, you give A's for certain players

Agreed, Parise having a better ranking than Malkin is nonsense. Hell, he's only ranked a half-point below Ovechkin.

Robbie Schremp is also quite overrated with a 9.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would have Parise at 8 B....the guy could become a good 1st line center but its more reasonable to say 2nd line center. Hell the fact that Zajac's top end potential is 7.5 really bothers me. He has a better skill package then Parise. Think Carter only a little rawer.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Dustin Byfuglien is rated as a 5.0C :eek:

Granted he was an 8th rounder, but this guy has craploads more potential than a 7th NHL dman - Average AHL lifer. He may not be as much of a sure thing as guys like Barker, Babchuk, or Seabrook, but I think he has the potential to be as good maybe better than all of them.

I also have beef with how goalies are rated with the system. An 8 means they are all stars just barely below being elite. And 7 means they are barely competent No.1s. Theres not too much room in there for just a good top 15 goaltender. I think Corey Crawford as 7.5B potential, not the 6.0 he is listed at. At the very least he should be above Broduer and Munro.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Epsilon said:
Agreed, Parise having a better ranking than Malkin is nonsense. Hell, he's only ranked a half-point below Ovechkin.

Schremp's rating been updated to 8.5B from his old rating 9.0C

leafaholix*

Hopefully you keep away from prospects on YOUR TEAM that aren't rated as high as you would like and stick to prospects from other teams that are rated too high/low... or a prospect from your team that's rated too high.

leafaholix*

I don't think a player with his troubles should be rated as an 'A' or 'B'.

8C is more than fair when you consider the players listed under HF.com's 8 (potential)... Patrik Elias, Keith Tkachuk... not sure Schremp has the potential to be better than those guys.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
Wow........Schremp is hardly that safe of a pick. 8.5 C would be more appropriate.
Agreed, an 8.5B for Schremp is pretty funny to read.

He should be rated an 8, with a C no doubt about it.

"C - May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings - has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential"

Rob Schremp has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. I think a rating of C makes perfect sence. An 8 is good to, he has first line talent, but doesn't have perrinial all star talent like Guy Fleming was saying earlier with a 9.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Epsilon said:

Malkin at 8 B is a bit off as well. And is a bit inconsistent with HF ranking him at number 4 overall among prospects:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/top50.php

8 - First line forward / No. 2 defenseman / No. 1 goaltender -- players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential. Think Patrik Elias, Keith Tkachuk, Mattias Ohlund, Adam Foote, Sean Burke, Olaf Kolzig.

B - Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating - likely to reach potential, but may have a hole or two in his game that will keep him from reaching his full potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 90 percent, which indicates slightly less certainty about a player’s future performance.

........ which would drop him potentially to a second line player. Anything is possible, 8A would make more sense. Perhaps even 9B or C. To be fair, HF did the same with others similarly situated, Zherdev, Horton, etc., but I would disagree based on those definitions above for them too. As for Malkin, he could turn into a franchise player but might drop a slot into the 8's seems a more reasonable assumption.

ps: I am just waiting for someone to come after Maffy's 9B ranking after seeing the Lehtonen vs. Maffy thread (where even one said that Maffy should have been a 2nd rounder).

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Guy Flaming said:
The Penguins top 20 was last done in February of 2004, there's a new writer on board, let's give the guy (or gal?) a chance to update it first.

I appreciate the feedback on Schremp though, it was a reason I dropped him from a 9... see, I do listen! ;)

Thanks for the info . . . and temper my remarks accordingly.

ps: I may feel like an idiot after asking this as the answer likely is right in front of my nose (cut me slack though, it is almost 6 am here), but here goes. Where does it say when these rankings were made then? If some are basically a couple weeks away from being a year old, and others recent, tough to say that some of the older ones are per se 'unfair' they are merely in need of updating.

Last edited:

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
A warning to MrMastodonFarm and other flames/phaneuf fans, i'm putting my flames bias outside in the cold right now and would like to stay away from a "flames" war (sorry couldn't resist).

Doin Phaneuf 9.0A
just too high, i feel 9.0B is better

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I don't think a player with his troubles should be rated as an 'A' or 'B'.

What "troubles" are these? We've yet to see anything this season that shows that Schremp has attitude problems.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
What is an A......there there really anyone who is a sure fire of what their top end potential is. I wouldn't mind if they categorized went back to the way it was before and gave the prospect one of the three options.

1.) Boom/Bust
2.) Safe Prospect
3.) Regular

I hate this A, B, C, D, E stuff. Different writers have a different meaning on these letters. Some think B is good for a safe prospect because A is unheard of. Others feel anything that is talented should make the NHL and give thema B rating....Suglobov is an example. He is no sure thing, same with Perezhogin....any offensive player for that matter since they usually only fit on the scoring lines (1 and 2).

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Mr Bugg said:
What "troubles" are these? We've yet to see anything this season that shows that Schremp has attitude problems.
We have also yet to see a consistant work ethic, leadership skills and a decent defensive game in the CHL. Those types of things don't go down well with NHL coaches.

Safir*

MA Fleury and Jeff Carter have the same rating of 9.0 B, but Fleury ranks 12 positions higher. Is Fleury ranked too high or is Carter rated to high?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
TomACE said:
MA Fleury and Jeff Carter have the same rating of 9.0 B, but Fleury ranks 12 positions higher. Is Fleury ranked too high or is Carter rated to high?
I would actually think Carter should be 9 C or and Fleury should be 9.5 C.

Safir*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I would actually think Carter should be 9 C or and Fleury should be 9.5 C.

So in any event Carter is higher rated than Malkin?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
TomACE said:
So in any event Carter is higher rated than Malkin?
I think Carter is a better prospect then Malkin in general. He is more NHL ready, his game will adapt to the NHL better and has way more skills then Malkin. Malkin has the puckhandling and vision. Thats about it. I don't see Malkin with the skills to be anything more then a good first line center. I would rate him 8.5 B/C meaning he could go from a good 1st line center to an average 2nd line center...like Kozlov.

Nimrods Son

Andrew Ladd being rated a 7.5B is nonsense in my opinion. As I take it, this means he is a potential first/second line forward and may drop to be a second/third liner. I really feel that his play has dropped off considerably this year and he is the main reason that the Hitmen have failed to live up to expectations. I think the fact that he is a media darling (always, always, always doing interviews eg. during the third period of tonights game he was guest commentator for the radio) and the media are always talking him up like he's something greater than he really is. At this point I would have him rated at no more than a 4th line grinder a few years down the line, if he works at his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad