OT: HF Pens OT Zone: Was her name Brahbrah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's how I feel with my company. I'll be pushing this short term disability for as long as I can. Which is 12 weeks.

One of the few positives I can say about my company is that I get 100% pay for the first 2 months.

The way I look at it is that if I get fired, I'll be able to go to grad school full-time, so I'm really not too worried about it. It's damn near impossible to get fired for poor performance here anyway, you have to do something like intentionally break rules dealing with your phone on-site or lie on your time card to get fired.

I will be honest, going full time for grad school and working part time as either a TA, researcher or maybe even an engineering temp sounds pretty awesome.

Reactions: EightyOne

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The way I look at it is that if I get fired, I'll be able to go to grad school full-time, so I'm really not too worried about it. It's damn near impossible to get fired for poor performance here anyway, you have to do something like intentionally break rules dealing with your phone on-site or lie on your time card to get fired.

I will be honest, going full time for grad school and working part time as either a TA, researcher or maybe even an engineering temp sounds pretty awesome.

I wanted to do grad school before my company put me on this project. Hell, they made someone drop out of grad school at CMU to be in the field for another project. The company used to do full tuition reimbursement, but we just formed a new company and now they only cover $4k or so per semester.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
My office is moving downtown (Strip District, ugh) and think it's going to be super hip and cutting edge by going completely open office, complete with sound proof "quiet, think rooms", standing desks, and first come, first served seating arrangements. All because they want to be like Google and Facebook and Amazon, alas, we are nothing like those 3 software and tech giants. We're a rail systems company with some software people. I love that the higher-ups completely ignored what makes people flock to those companies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Oh my god.

Good luck.

Hey if you need hipster fashion advice, some posters here can help you find tight pants and shirts. And such things as hair "styles."

Apparently my buzz cut, cargo shorts, band tees, and Vans skate shoes aren't cool anymore.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wanted to do grad school before my company put me on this project. Hell, they made someone drop out of grad school at CMU to be in the field for another project. The company used to do full tuition reimbursement, but we just formed a new company and now they only cover $4k or so per semester.

$4k a semester is more than my company offers, my company just has a flat limit of $10k a year. I have to extend my degree into 4 calendar years just so the cost won't be crippling. In 4 calendar years (start summer 2019, finish spring 2022), it's going to cost me likely around $4k, which isn't that bad. If I'd try to end any earlier, that cost shoots up to about $10k.

It's why I kinda wish I was doing grad school right out of the gate, if I'm going to have to pay at least $4k to finish a degree in 9 semesters while working full time, I'd rather just go to grad school full time. Finishing the degree in 3 semesters likely costs me $40k, but I'm eligible for loans and scholarships as a full-time student and I could get a tuition reduction by working for the university as a researcher.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Oh my god.

Good luck.

Hey if you need hipster fashion advice, some posters here can help you find tight pants and shirts. And such things as hair "styles."

Apparently my buzz cut, cargo shorts, band tees, and Vans skate shoes aren't cool anymore.

I've had the same haircut since 11th grade, called "Trying to not call attention to my widow's peak and impending Friar Tuck bald spot".

Reactions: EightyOne

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
My office is moving downtown (Strip District, ugh) and think it's going to be super hip and cutting edge by going completely open office, complete with sound proof "quiet, think rooms", standing desks, and first come, first served seating arrangements. All because they want to be like Google and Facebook and Amazon, alas, we are nothing like those 3 software and tech giants. We're a rail systems company with some software people. I love that the higher-ups completely ignored what makes people flock to those companies.
First come first served seating won't last long. Even if they don't assign you spots it'll work out that way because no one wants to keep moving their stuff around every day. Except for those one or two assholes who want to f*** it up for everybody.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
First come first served seating won't last long. Even if they don't assign you spots it'll work out that way because no one wants to keep moving their stuff around every day. Except for those one or two *******s who want to **** it up for everybody.

We're not allowed to leave anything on the desks at the end of the day, according to the informational session we had with "transistion team". We will have small lockers to keep somethings (I bought some Teen Beat mags to cut out pictures to hang in it), but they claim anything left on non occupied desks will be disposed of.

I blame a lot of this on out German HQ and German mentality that workers can't be trusted to work if they have walls to hide behind. Apparently in Germany, according to a boss who visits there frequently, they always assume you're slacking off if they can't actually see what you're doing.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
We're not allowed to leave anything on the desks at the end of the day, according to the informational session we had with "transistion team". We will have small lockers to keep somethings (I bought some Teen Beat mags to cut out pictures to hang in it), but they claim anything left on non occupied desks will be disposed of.

I blame a lot of this on out German HQ and German mentality that workers can't be trusted to work if they have walls to hide behind. Apparently in Germany, according to a boss who visits there frequently, they always assume you're slacking off if they can't actually see what you're doing.

That's cause they work like 30% less time than we do in USA. Almost all of us literally don't have 40 hours of work to do a week to do here.

Give us Fridays off and 2.5 months of vacation ON AVERAGE, and yeah, I could see having to bust ass for 9.5 months.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Brutal. Bet folks will still stake out their favorite spots, though. Humans are territorial animals.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Just ignore the need for a desirable culture and work-life balance and instead throw beanbag chairs at it. Am I right?

When they said in their presentation they want to compete with Facebook, Google, etc, someone raised their hand and said, "Does that mean we will have onsite gyms or company daycare or flex schedules or free lunches or any of the employee focused stuff?" and the presenter (VP of the Americas region) looked dumbfounded and said, ".....Nooooo, but we will be trying to work out discounts with local restaurants for lunch..." which was met with, "So we're ignoring all the employee focused benefits that help them recruit and maintain their employees (because one main stated goal of moving to the Strip is being closer to the universities to help with recruiting... nevermind they pay entry level like shite and lose like 75% new hires before they hit 1 year)?"

Then the question was closed with the VP of AR saying, "But everyone will have a fantastic view of the river!".

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That's what I'm kind of hoping for, and most people I talk to have expressed a similar feeling. But I never underestimate my employer's knack for making bad situations worse.
What is supposed to be the benefit of having to pack up and set up a new desk every day?

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
What is supposed to be the benefit of having to pack up and set up a new desk every day?

You aren't distracted by your family photos or FunkoPop collection.

You know. The two biggest reasons you show up to the f***ing g*****n bullshit job to begin with.

like-mother-like-daughter-web_2.jpg

maxresdefault-1-1024x579.jpg

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
You aren't distracted by your family photos or FunCoPop collection.

You know. The two biggest reasons you show up to the ****ing g*****n bull**** job to begin with.

Are you looking directly at my desk and my line of Star Wars Funkos?

Something with being "fluid" and more collaborative. It supposed to promote working with your coworkers more, or some bull-ka-ka.

I told my boss that at least the first 30 minutes of my day will be wiping down all the surfaces of my desk, adjusting my chair and monitors, and getting everything logged in.... SPEAKING of logging in, here's one I brought up to the transition team...

Every desk has a landline phone. Fine, cool, whatever. BUT every day you have to log into the phone at the desk you are at by punching in your code to activate it as your number. The kicker I brought up is that the system automatically logs you out of your phone after SIX HOURS. NO ONE ANYWHERE THOUGHT TO BRING UP THE FACT THAT FOR ALMOST EVERYONE IN THE COMPANY THE NORMAL WORK DAY IS 8 HOURS!

I told my boss that since we're supposed to be this high tech, cutting edge company I won't be logging into my phone and if anyone needs me they can f***ing email or Skype me like a normal person. Or they can wander the offices until they find where I'm seated for the day. 95% of the calls on my office phone are scammers and wrong numbers anyways.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Are you looking directly at my desk and my line of Star Wars Funkos?

Something with being "fluid" and more collaborative. It supposed to promote working with your coworkers more, or some bull-ka-ka.

I told my boss that at least the first 30 minutes of my day will be wiping down all the surfaces of my desk, adjusting my chair and monitors, and getting everything logged in.... SPEAKING of logging in, here's one I brought up to the transition team...

Every desk has a landline phone. Fine, cool, whatever. BUT every day you have to log into the phone at the desk you are at by punching in your code to activate it as your number. The kicker I brought up is that the system automatically logs you out of your phone after SIX HOURS. NO ONE ANYWHERE THOUGHT TO BRING UP THE FACT THAT FOR ALMOST EVERYONE IN THE COMPANY THE NORMAL WORK DAY IS 8 HOURS!

I told my boss that since we're supposed to be this high tech, cutting edge company I won't be logging into my phone and if anyone needs me they can ****ing email or Skype me like a normal person. Or they can wander the offices until they find where I'm seated for the day. 95% of the calls on my office phone are scammers and wrong numbers anyways.
LOL. The only new collaboration is going to be on ways to screw with management.

Exactly. Sanitize, adjust, and set up picture frames, desk calendar, and any other items you can think of. Then stop working 20 minutes early to start packing up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Unrelated to current conversation, but just caught this:

Christmas ad for UK retailer John Lewis. They always put big money into doing something cool, but this is quite the commercial.

Reactions: Winger for Hire
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->