HF new top 50 prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
One game doesn't really prove anything. Higgins has higher potential and is still an extremely good defensive player. They're both (IMO) sure-fire NHL players, but Higgins' potential is higher.

Based on what? I need examples. Kesler has proven to be a scorer in College, WJC, and now the AHL.

leafaholix*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Based on what? I need examples. Kesler has proven to be a scorer in College, WJC, and now the AHL.
Higgins just has more offensive talent.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leafaholix said:
Higgins just has more offensive talent.

Higgins has better puck skills. Whether he'll produce more in the NHL is quite debateable.

Jason Krog and Trent Hunter were in the Isles' system at the same time 3-4 years ago. Everyone would say at the time that Krog had 'more offensive talent' than Hunter. Quicker, smarter, better puck skills. Doesn't mean Krog had more offensive upside. Hunter had an offensive game that translated to the NHL while Krog didn't.

Higgins is really small. He's quick and he hustles but I don't see a lot of upside there. I mentioned Jason Blake in another thread and IMO that's a reasonable upside. A guy like Krog is a downside.

There's never been any doubt that Kesler had the size, skating ability, work ethic, and defensive smarts to be a real quality two-way player. The only question mark was how his offensive game would develop. 11 points in 11 games right now is starting to answer that question. Hands down he's the better prospect in my eyes.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Am I the only non-Canucks fan who actually likes Kesler?

Maybe I have a soft spot for the gritty two-way guys. I guess that is why I like Eric Nystrom so much. Both are so similar.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Moskau said:
Ohh god... top 10 now probably.

"King's, last name... says it all, said Jay Thompson after Hockeys Future released their new Top 50 Prospect Ranking which shocked many. I had to convince all of my co-workers with vachon cakes, but I feel satisfied that the Canucks have the top prospect in the NHL."

lol realy funny... lol!!!

Zenith Kormanisky could also have a shot!!!

BJ21

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
is it a stretch to say that...

Andrei Kostitsyn
Alexander Perezhogin
Tomas Plekanec
Chris Higgins
Ron Hainsey
Marcel Hossa

Could all be included in the top 50? this isin't a homer post, I definately think the 1st 4 players deserved to be ranked somewhere in the top 50, as for Hainsey and Hossa, they're on the fringe of graduating, and their progress has somewhat stalled, although both are enjoying very good starts in their respectives leagues right now, I believe Hossa is the goal scoring leader in the Sweedish elite league and Hainsey is the leader of the Hamilton Bulldogs defence right now and according to reports has stepped his play this young season...

Add to that Kyle Chipchura and Yann Danis who may not be considered top 50 but at least top 100, as a Habs fan, you can't help but be excited, the future "potentially" looks great!

Ouf...

As a Habs fan i'm a little bit schoked...

4 guys is a lot and 6 is just impossible...

I would be happy to see Kots Perez and maybe Higgs...

3 would be awesome!!!

6... hish...

BJ21

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
NYRangers said:
Do you guys think Montoya, Balej, Lundqvist, Tyutin could all be on the list?

I would put Jessiman even though I like him more than Balej but people arent that high on him. But you you think those 4 will be on it?

Lundqvist and Tyutin should be there IMO...

However Tyutin is the only no brainer.

Jessiman have a decent shot i think but that's just me... I know some poeple are very low on hiw as some other very hight.

BJ21

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
417 TO MTL said:
is it a stretch to say that...

Andrei Kostitsyn
Alexander Perezhogin
Tomas Plekanec
Chris Higgins
Ron Hainsey
Marcel Hossa

Could all be included in the top 50? this isin't a homer post, I definately think the 1st 4 players deserved to be ranked somewhere in the top 50, as for Hainsey and Hossa, they're on the fringe of graduating, and their progress has somewhat stalled, although both are enjoying very good starts in their respectives leagues right now, I believe Hossa is the goal scoring leader in the Sweedish elite league and Hainsey is the leader of the Hamilton Bulldogs defence right now and according to reports has stepped his play this young season...

Add to that Kyle Chipchura and Yann Danis who may not be considered top 50 but at least top 100, as a Habs fan, you can't help but be excited, the future "potentially" looks great!
i hope most montreal fans' sense of reality is not this warped. first off, hainsey and hossa have ZERO chance at making this list. do you realize how short a top 50 list is in a 30 team league? for the canadiens i would include kostitsyn and perezhogin..that's it.

even for the pens i have malkin, fleury, and whitney in the top 50, that's it. if you started including guys like higgins or plekanec in the top 50 list, why wouldn't the pens include guys like welch, talbot, or stone? the top 50 is too elite for players of that caliber.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
Good list, but my top 4 would be

1. Ovechkin
2. Lehtonen
3. Phaneuf
4. Zherdev

Having Phaneuf in front of Any of Zherdev, Lethonen or Ovechkin is a non sense IMHO...

Ovechkin is... I mean... Ovechkin...

Zherdev is a projected top 10-20 scorer that is alredy near proven great producer at the NHL level.

Lethonen have prouve himself as a solid no1 in Finland, in AHL and already have 4 solid NHL starts. Add to this all teh prjections...

I would closely include MAF and Horton to that list for similar reasons... but thats just me...

BJ21

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Personally, I would put Phaneuf ahead of Flurey. But hey, that's just me.

As I said I'm not sure neither...
But I feel that if I had to make a pick regardless of needs, I would pick Fleury.

But it's a heck of a decision.

BJ21

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yeah, no worries man. Like I said it's just MY personal opinion.

MAF has struggled a good deal since his NHL debut. I know he has the talent because I saw what he could do at the NHL level. But....

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Prospects that will probably make it for Mtl :
Kostitsyn (10-20)
Higgins (30-40)
Perezhogin (40-45)
Chipchura (45-50)

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I dont think theres any way Chipchura makes it. Hes a solid prospect but not elite.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
monster_bertuzzi said:
:shakehead
I guarantee he'll make the Habs.

Thats nice, but it doesnt mean he's a top 50 prospect. I can guarantee that Dan Ellis will make the Stars when the NHL starts back up. Does that make him a top 50 prospect? No.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Chaos said:
Thats nice, but it doesnt mean he's a top 50 prospect. I can guarantee that Dan Ellis will make the Stars when the NHL starts back up. Does that make him a top 50 prospect? No.

Exactly. That can be said for many prospects. That means nothing. I'm not puttig Chipchura down, I'd love if the Rangers had him. But he wasn't even a top 10 pick in the most recent draft. And I know draft position doesnt mean a whole lot (if anything) but he wasnt expected to go any higher than he was.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
I've made my top 50 :
1-Ovechkin
2-Lehtonen
3-Fleury
4-Zherdev
5-Malkin
6-Phaneuf
7-Michalek
8-Horton
9-Semin
10-Whitney
11-Coburn
12-Kostsitsyn
13-Vanek
14-Suter
15-Tjutin
16-Parise
17-Thelen
18-Getzlaf
19-Barker
20-Miller
21-Carter
22-O’Sullivan
23-Higgins
24-Montoya
25-Koivu
26-Jessiman
27-Ladd
28-Grebeshkov
29-Richards
30-Balej
31-Toivonen
32-Upshall
33-Fritsche
34-Steen
35-Lundqvist
36-Babchuk
37-Grigorenko
38-Stuart
39-Perezhogin
40-Tukonen
41-Ouellet
42-Roy
43-Shishkanov
44-Colaiacovo
45-Schremp
46-Stewart
47-Emery
48-Brown
49-Schwarz
50-Smid
In my previous post I've said Chipchura would probably make my top 50 but that was before I've made my list :p:

Have some respect for my list please :help:

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
HABS456 said:
I've made my top 50 :
1-Ovechkin
2-Lehtonen
3-Fleury
4-Zherdev
5-Malkin
6-Phaneuf
7-Michalek
8-Horton
9-Semin
10-Whitney
11-Coburn
12-Kostsitsyn
13-Vanek
14-Suter
15-Tjutin
16-Parise
17-Thelen
18-Getzlaf
19-Barker
20-Miller
21-Carter
22-O’Sullivan
23-Higgins
24-Montoya
25-Koivu
26-Jessiman
27-Ladd
28-Grebeshkov
29-Richards
30-Balej
31-Toivonen
32-Upshall
33-Fritsche
34-Steen
35-Lundqvist
36-Babchuk
37-Grigorenko
38-Stuart
39-Perezhogin
40-Tukonen
41-Ouellet
42-Roy
43-Shishkanov
44-Colaiacovo
45-Schremp
46-Stewart
47-Emery
48-Brown
49-Schwarz
50-Smid
In my previous post I've said Chipchura would probably make my top 50 but that was before I've made my list :p:

Have some respect for my list please :help:

Not bad. A few things I'd like to say though...

Thelen over Barker?

I wouldnt put Whitney and Coburn over Suter.

Tioviven should be ahead of Monotya for goalies.

I'd also put Kotsytsin between Vanek and Parise forwards wise. He might be a little high on your list IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->