HF new top 50 prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
As always, fans of a team tend to forget that there are 30 teams in the league. With a list of only 50 prospects, on average every team will have 1.67 players on the list. So what this means is that you even have two players, you're doing better than most. Keep this simple fact in mind.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
HollyG said:
As always, fans of a team tend to forget that there are 30 teams in the league. With a list of only 50 prospects, on average every team will have 1.67 players on the list. So what this means is that you even have two players, you're doing better than most. Keep this simple fact in mind.

Exactly. Everyone is like, well, this guy and that guy should be there, and an outside chance of tis other guy and maybe this guy. By the time it is all said and done, people seem to want about 80 prospects to appear on a 50 prospect list. Some prospects that might be VERY deserving of a top 50 list are just not ging to make it because for every player YOU (you=everyone) think belongs on the list, there are about 100 other people who think someone else belongs on there. Tough choices will be made and some are just going to miss the list, even those who were on the list last year (because, once you factor in about 10 new prospects from the draft and maybe a couple who just missed the list last year and moved up, that will be about 10-15 who are going to move off the list). If you think that a certain prospect has developed well and has "given no reason why he should move down", keep in mind that EVERY OTHER team has a player or two that can make the exact same claim.

If a single team has two prospects on the list, they should be ecstatic. If they have three, they should be going freakin' bonkers! Anyone who is suggesting 4 or 5 prospects from a single team needs to get back in touch with reality (with the except of maybe Washington).

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
As a Jackets fan, I'm sure Zherdev will be on the list (maybe at #1?) since he still officially qualifies as a prospect, even if it is only by a few games. Leclaire could very well be near the bottom of it again (though it wouldn't shock me if he fell off). I'm hoping maybe Picard can squeeze his way on.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
DeathFromAbove said:
If a single team has two prospects on the list, they should be ecstatic. If they have three, they should be going freakin' bonkers! Anyone who is suggesting 4 or 5 prospects from a single team needs to get back in touch with reality (with the except of maybe Washington).

Thank you for that :jump:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Jay Thompson said:
For the Canucks, any of King, Auld, or Kesler have a shot at being on the list.
Ohh god... top 10 now probably.

"King's, last name... says it all, said Jay Thompson after Hockeys Future released their new Top 50 Prospect Ranking which shocked many. I had to convince all of my co-workers with vachon cakes, but I feel satisfied that the Canucks have the top prospect in the NHL."

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Moskau said:
"King's, last name... says it all, said Jay Thompson after Hockeys Future released their new Top 50 Prospect Ranking which shocked many. I had to convince all of my co-workers with vachon cakes, but I feel satisfied that the Canucks have the top prospect in the NHL."

:lol :lol: :lol :lol:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Jay Thompson said:
For the Canucks, any of King, Auld, or Kesler have a shot at being on the list.

None of them should be in the top 30 IMHO.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
Jason King is a good prospect, but he would barely crack my top 100 prospects, much less my top 50.

He doesn't get much respect, and I understand that. I have him ahead of Kesler (the Canucks organization does too), but many people prefer Kesler around here since he was a first round pick.

King currently leads the AHL in goals and points though, don't forget. He's having a heck of a start, and he seems to have taken the AHL very seriously. Coach Randy Carlyle said he was in 'elite' conditioning when he came into camp, and he has not yet shown a slowdown in play. Consistancy will be a key for King this year in the AHL though.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Jay Thompson said:
King currently leads the AHL in goals and points though, don't forget. He's having a heck of a start, and he seems to have taken the AHL very seriously. Coach Randy Carlyle said he was in 'elite' conditioning when he came into camp, and he has not yet shown a slowdown in play. Consistancy will be a key for King this year in the AHL though.

And by the same note, Jussi Jokinen is currently tied for the lead in goals in the SM-Liiga, is 5th in points(4 off the leader), and plays on his teams 3rd line....and he's 2 years younger than King. We could go all day with numbers.

Edit: Jokinen is actually 2nd in goals now, 3 behind the leader...forgot they played games between the last time I checked a few days ago ;)

Last edited:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
If one team gets more then 2 prospects on the top 50 list they should be very happy. To suggest 3 or 4, especially a team as thin as the Canucks is laughable.

The Flames are going to have one guy, Dion Phaneuf. Maybe two if Chuko slips into the 45-50 spot.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
MrMastodonFarm said:
If one team gets more then 2 prospects on the top 50 list they should be very happy. To suggest 3 or 4, especially a team as thin as the Canucks is laughable.

The Flames are going to have one guy, Dion Phaneuf. Maybe two if Chuko slips into the 45-50 spot.

Agreed...Washington probably has the best shot at having 3 or more guys on the list. Stars should have Eriksson right around wherever Steen is placed, but probably a few spots lower. He's 1 point behind Steen this year, while being younger, but he is also farther from the NHL.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Chaos said:
And by the same note, Jussi Jokinen is currently tied for the lead in goals in the SM-Liiga, is 5th in points(4 off the leader), and plays on his teams 3rd line....and he's 2 years younger than King. We could go all day with numbers.

And Jussi Jokinen is indeed a very good prospect who, for some reason, doesn't get enough respect, IMO.

But that doesn't have much to do with King. What's with the dismissing of King on this thread anyway? I don't understand. One guy says he has him barely in his top 100? I'd like to see that. King is firmly among the top 100 best prospects in the game, not barely.

Kesler is not bad either, although I like him a little less than King. I don't know if he would make my top 50 (The Pucks hasn't started his top 50 project so I haven't done a list yet) but probably not.

I strongly doubt Auld would make it but I like him as well.

It's not like Jay Thompson works alone on those lists, guys. There's a group of writers and unless they all have a crush on the Canucks, this bias you are perceiving is going to be minimal at best.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Vlad The Impaler said:
And Jussi Jokinen is indeed a very good prospect who, for some reason, doesn't get enough respect, IMO.

But that doesn't have much to do with King. What's with the dismissing of King on this thread anyway? I don't understand. One guy says he has him barely in his top 100? I'd like to see that. King is firmly among the top 100 best prospects in the game, not barely.

The reason he doesnt get respect around here is the same reason guys like Miettinen and now Immonen dont get respect....they are late round, relatively older Finnish guys, who usually aren't flashy in any particular area. I was only mentioning him as a comparison to the accomplishments of King, and wasnt trying to dismiss King in any way. I'd agree that King deserves to be in the top 50, but probably not inside the top 35 or so.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

I'd say Ramholt would have a batter shot than Chucko IMO (Kris is too much of a wait and see at this point). I'd be estatic if either cracked the top 50.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
*shrugs* Thelen and Volo are outside shots but Volo has done some damage in the WJC I believe or one of those game and is still on a tear in the RSL...

Thelen I believe is similiar to Burns...

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Roughneck said:
I'd say Ramholt would have a batter shot than Chucko IMO (Kris is too much of a wait and see at this point). I'd be estatic if either cracked the top 50.
Well, I think Chucko has a bigger upside then Ramholt but I see your point. If either crack the top 50 it would be a pleasent suprise.

Especially a guy like Ramholt who gets zero hype. A very very underrated prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->