Prospect Info: HF Habs Top 30 Prospects

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
HF Hab board voted on the top 30 prospects, several players like DLR, McCarron, Hudon could likely be the last time around on this list.

1. Noah Juulsen
2. Victor Mete
3. Charlie Lindgren
4. Charles Hudon
5. Ryan Poehling
6. Nikita Scherbak
7. Joni Ikonen
8. Michael McCarron
9. Michael McNiven
10. Jacob De La Rose
11. Josh Brook
12. Jake Evans
13. Brett Lernout
14. Martin Reway
15. Will Bitten
16. Cale Fleury
17. Simon Bourque
18. Jeremiah Addison
19. Zach Fucale
20. Scott Walford
21. Cayden Primeau
22. Hayden Hawkey
23. Lukas Vejdemo
24. Jarret Tyszka
25. Daniel Audette
26. Antoine Waked
27. Casey Staum
28. Markus Eisenschmid
29. Jérémy Grégoire
30. Arvid Henrikson

HM - Michael Pezzetta, Nikolas Koberstein, Tom Parisi

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know enough about the new picks to say where they should be ranked. Don't agree with Juulsen as #1 but I understand it as I don't know about his upside but I do think he's a safe bet to be a solid NHLer as he's got that big shot, has a good defensive and physical game but just needs to work on getting quicker imo.

Mete is coming off a huge year, exciting player to watch that should get a heavy work load and a chance to crack Team Canada in December.

Hudon has been great in the AHL with 55 goals in 123 games over the last 2 years (a goals per game ave of .48 which is 36 in 76 games)

Lindgren has been a huge surprise, it sucks that goalies don't hold a lot of trade value but another big year from him and he should easily be an NHLer.

Scherbak despite his issues, as a 20/21 year old he was 2nd on the team in assists, 3rd in points and 4th in goals.

McNiven with a great season, was CHL goalie of the year, another impressive pickup for free by the scouting staff along with Lindgren (and Condon before that).

Reway if he's back to 100% is at worst going to be a ton of fun to watch, such a highly skilled playmaker.

Evans with a breakout year in the NCAA, great in the face-off circle, smart, hard working two way center. Could be in Laval by seasons end as Notre Dame could be in tough after losing their best 2 players.

Bourque with an impressive year, Addison brings a few interesting things, Hawkey could be one of our more underrated prospects. Lernout should get more of a look in the NHL.

Poehling, Ikonen in the running to make their respective WJC teams.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If 2 of Reway,Ikonen and Scherbak become top six forwards and Mete and Juulsen become top 4 dmen, that would be huge. Everything else on this list is is much less important.

That being said, Poehling becoming a solid 3rd line center would be nice, Hudon and McCaron have outside chances to become top six forwards or bottom six forwards with some offense, and Lernout has a chance to become an NHL dman.

So, that's 9 prospects I'm excited about.

I don't include goalies because I would be happy with Price and Montoya, or another cheap veteran for the next 5 years, and goalie prospects don't have much trade value. But Lindgren and McNiven are also good prospects. De la Rose could be a useful 4th liner, but as being a true two way player (i.e. having some offense) becomes more important, I don't know how useful he'll be.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Are there any on the list that have a legitimate shot at the opening roster?

Hudon? McCarron? De La Rose?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Might not be much in the ways of high end talent but there's definitely a lot of depth there

When your 7th pick of this year's draft is already the 21st best prospect... And still not sure how having goalie prospects is a thing when you have Price.

Every organization can list 30 guys as prospects but what you need is a few top end talent.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Would think at least 1 or 2 of the three make the team.

They are buried behind 6 wingers and i'm not counting new "centermen" Drouin and Galchenyuk who would then bump Mitchell to w (JD, AG, PD and TP as c).

Just not much room... I'll give you McCarron. Got to see what he has.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I don't know enough about the new picks to say where they should be ranked. Don't agree with Juulsen as #1 but I understand it as I don't know about his upside but I do think he's a safe bet to be a solid NHLer as he's got that big shot, has a good defensive and physical game but just needs to work on getting quicker imo.

Mete is coming off a huge year, exciting player to watch that should get a heavy work load and a chance to crack Team Canada in December.

Hudon has been great in the AHL with 55 goals in 123 games over the last 2 years (a goals per game ave of .48 which is 36 in 76 games)

Lindgren has been a huge surprise, it sucks that goalies don't hold a lot of trade value but another big year from him and he should easily be an NHLer.

Scherbak despite his issues, as a 20/21 year old he was 2nd on the team in assists, 3rd in points and 4th in goals.

McNiven with a great season, was CHL goalie of the year, another impressive pickup for free by the scouting staff along with Lindgren (and Condon before that).

Reway if he's back to 100% is at worst going to be a ton of fun to watch, such a highly skilled playmaker.

Evans with a breakout year in the NCAA, great in the face-off circle, smart, hard working two way center. Could be in Laval by seasons end as Notre Dame could be in tough after losing their best 2 players.

Bourque with an impressive year, Addison brings a few interesting things, Hawkey could be one of our more underrated prospects. Lernout should get more of a look in the NHL.

Poehling, Ikonen in the running to make their respective WJC teams.
This year is make or break year for Hudon and DLR.
Either they can be top-13 or they will be picked on waivers.
Holland scored more points in AHL than Hudon but less goals (he also played with Maroon and Palmieri that year).
As for Froese, his numbers are not much better than Hudon.

Sly said that Juulsen was really good when he came to AHL.
He said he was already at AHL level and was able to compete from the get-go.

No choice but to wait and see.

A year ago, we had enough on RHD with Juulsen and Lernout.
Now we have added Walford and Tyska as RHD.
We would need a top-4 RHD in 4 years (Petry) and a bottom-6 RHD in 2 years (Benn).

We also have Bourque, Mete, Brook and Fleury as LHD.
Streit, Davidson and Morrow are all here for a year at this point.
Alzner and Schlemko are signed for a longer term.
I see only Bourque as a potential LHD next year (unless Mete jumps from OHL to NHL).

Lindgren was our goalie in AHL but he was far from being a top-10 in AHL.
At 2.56 he was 18th and .914 was 17th.
Just to compare, Murray in 2015-16 was second at 2.10 and .932.
From that perspective, McNiven seems to have dominate more in OHL/CHL.

If Lindgren can reach top-5 in AHL, he could replace Montoya.
For the next two years, he is waiver exempt (same as Fucale).
McNiven can go though waivers for 4 years.
So in two years, when Montoya goes, we have to pick our backup goalie between Lindgren and Fucale.

We will see how MB reacts as he was burned one time when Price went down.
Given what happened with Condon, I do not see MB bringing Lindgren, Fucale, Hawkey or McNiven playing with the Habs ever.
The only way the goalies will play in NHL is via a trade or if they dominate the AHL and they play in NHL enough games to take over Montoya or whoever will replace him.

As a GM, MB worst nightmare is to go back to 2015-16.
Pretty sure he will take a long time to bring a backup goalie from AHL.
Condon was 11 in SV% and 18th in GAA before coming in NHL.
What is interesting about this whole thing is that the choice of Condon was not bad: he did really good in Ottawa but it was a year too soon and the following year, Condon was picked on waivers.

I like your comments about Evans: strong in FO, two-way, smart.
Would be great to have him as a third line center when Plekanec goes but I have no hopes... It will take another two years before Evans and Poehling are in NHL.
When Danault came in, he made Eller "expendable".
Last year, he proved that he could be a second line center.
So now, we need a young player who can come and play third line center in 2018-19.
DLR? McCarron?

If Galcheyuk can become a first line center with 70+ points, we could have Galchenyuk, Danault, Poehling, DLR, McCarron and Evans competing to play center in two years.
TBH, I would like to see him be better in FO or defense but 70-80 points brings him
Lehkonen, Drouin, Gallagher and Pacioretty on the wings (if we can keep him) and you have a really good cup contending team.
Shaw and Byron could complete the top-12.

Ikonen may not become a center (was playing on the wings for team Finland) but with those 5 players we should be just fine.

The key is Galchenyuk.
He will not be a player like Crosby, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron, Backstrom, Zetterberg, Pavelski, Seguin or Matthews (and most likely not Tavares:cry:).
Note that Malkin, Scheifele, McDavid and Eichel were not listed in that list: putrid in FO. At 46.8, Matthews barely makes the cut...
AG was still 25th in offense among center in 2015-16 and his pace this year (59 points) was very near to Tavares (66 points).
70 points would make him top-10 in the league.
If we can roll 4 lines and have 8 players with 40 points or more, we are going to best top offense in the league.

Just for reference: Leafs were the only team to have 6 players with 50 points but they also had no other players with 40+ points. So having 8 players with 40+ points would make our offense top-5 in the league (most likely best).
Seems to me that MB is trying to build from the ground up (getting better player competing for top-6 spots) because he can not draft top-5 players.

On defense, Lernout and Juulsen should be ready to replace Benn.
Same with Mete, Bourque and Brook to complete Schlemko and Alzner.

Hudon and DLR can not go through waivers. So it is either NHL or another team.

Next year: Scherback, McCarron, Jerabek, Lernout and Gregoire.
Jerabek and Gregoire are special cases: Jerabek most likely in NHL. Gregoire most likely won't make it or won't be picked on waivers.

McCarron would definitively be picked on waivers and Scherback could also be picked by a team needing some offense on their third or fourth line: Colorado, Vancouver, NJD, VGK, etc.
So either they can make the team or we could loose two first round picks on waivers.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Sorry but what ever happend to Fucale? Wasn't he really hyped in his draft year? Or did I get that wrong?

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Sorry but what ever happend to Fucale? Wasn't he really hyped in his draft year? Or did I get that wrong?
He was the best in his draft year.

Was really good in ECHL PO last year.
Only 22 years old, same as Lindgren when he came in AHL.

We still have 2 years before he is waiver eligible.
It takes longer for goalies to play in NHL.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Is it really much worse than other teams who've been finishing as high as we have the last 5 years (for the most part)?

This pool still seems better than it was when we were drafting a lot higher with PG/BG.

People weren't this pissed when LL, Tinordi and NB were our top prospects. Our top prospects were just as middling and we had WAY less depth.

We just traded away our top prospect.

Our young forward core isn't Toronto or Edmonton but Drouin, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, and Gallagher are hardly chopped liver.

I just hate how people act like every aspect of our team is a shambles under MB. So far in the only two drafts that could really possibly yield something under him that we can really see we have Galchenyuk and Lehkonen with the likely possibility of more.

Galchenyuk was more or less a gimme but that was a weak year and Galch still had question marks. Hudon can still make it. Still regardless of position drafting Galchenyuk means a good draft. Hudon COULD make it a great draft.

If all we come out with '13 is a top 6 Lehkonen who looks to be at the very least a really solid 20 goal two way guy (could very well be more) then that's still a good draft. Very likely McCarron makes it. Could still be an impressive player even in a smaller capacity. DLR's borderline. Fucale has a lot of depth to surmount but is still fairly relevant and Reway has top 6 potential.

So really the only two drafts we can sort of judge at the moment we're good at the very least with likely potential to even yield more.

So the draft after that we have Scherbak who's development has been shaky but still very high potential and HAS shown improvement. Lernout who's been making strides and Evans who's everyone's favourite underrated habs prospect. That's late 1st round no 2nd rounders.

2015 we have Juulsen who's unspectacular but has shown pro aptitude and could likely be a top 4. Addison possibly but still if you can come out of the draft with a top 4 d man and nothing else that's a good draft.

Then you have 2016 which possibly has a franchise D man and another top 4 D man

2017 on paper is probably one of our better drafts.

So when you break it down I just don't see how our drafting's really a problem. I think MB's done a lot of bad but drafting could very well be pretty good considering our draft positions.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I guess we better hope they can draft a D-man with top pairing potential ASAP.
With PK / Sergachev / Markov gone and Weber turning 32 :help:
I understand the Drouin trade, but yikes.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just for the record, I would vote Pezzetta for our worst prospect.

So glad we have him over Sokolov, who would fit between 8-10 on our list right now.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

The Drouin trade was all about acquiring a talented Quebec francophone, not about organizational need. We need help at center and puck-moving dmen, not on the wings. I'm glad we acquired offense, but we traded our best chip for another winger when we need a center. And now we need a stud puck moving dman as well.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Are there any on the list that have a legitimate shot at the opening roster?

Hudon? McCarron? De La Rose?

I think McCarron makes it on 4th line. CJ is the coach who used Chara as a big giant screen on the PP in Boston. Drouin will love Mac setting up screens on the powerplay & deflecting shots on goal. Hopefully all the summer training with Mitchell in Montreal pays off & he develops a more explosive first step with his skating.

Lots of competition this camp, pre season should be entertaining.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If 2 of Reway,Ikonen and Scherbak become top six forwards and Mete and Juulsen become top 4 dmen, that would be huge. Everything else on this list is is much less important.

That being said, Poehling becoming a solid 3rd line center would be nice, Hudon and McCaron have outside chances to become top six forwards or bottom six forwards with some offense, and Lernout has a chance to become an NHL dman.

So, that's 9 prospects I'm excited about.

I don't include goalies because I would be happy with Price and Montoya, or another cheap veteran for the next 5 years, and goalie prospects don't have much trade value. But Lindgren and McNiven are also good prospects. De la Rose could be a useful 4th liner, but as being a true two way player (i.e. having some offense) becomes more important, I don't know how useful he'll be.

Not counting the guys we just drafted, the Habs have a bunch of interesting prospects. The problem is the lack of high end talent and the ones that do have some major holes and or issues. Reway, Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen, Hudon, etc...

It's a shame that goalies don't hold much in the way of trade value, since it's by far our biggest strength among the prospects. They have to have among the best group of goalie prospects in the NHL, and among the deepest as a guy like Hawkey just came off a really good year after sitting for much of 2 seasons. Primeau it's going to be interesting to see what he does, heard some good things about him and why he didn't have a better season, guess we'll see what happens to him over the next 3-5 years. Plus if Fucale ever gets going we are just going to be that much deeper. That said at some point they are likely going to need to figure out some kind of trade at some point as we have a ton of depth in nets and lots of questions at center and on defense.

Lindgren was our goalie in AHL but he was far from being a top-10 in AHL.
At 2.56 he was 18th and .914 was 17th.
Just to compare, Murray in 2015-16 was second at 2.10 and .932.
From that perspective, McNiven seems to have dominate more in OHL/CHL.

If Lindgren can reach top-5 in AHL, he could replace Montoya.
For the next two years, he is waiver exempt (same as Fucale).
McNiven can go though waivers for 4 years.
So in two years, when Montoya goes, we have to pick our backup goalie between Lindgren and Fucale.

Lindgren was easily one of the best goalies in the AHL. No doubt about it. Don't look at his numbers, look at all the defensive breakdowns, look at how badly his teams were outplayed as he stood on his head most of the time, to keep them in games they had no business being in only to bounce back later in the game. I'm really hard on Lefebvre, but his teams don't quit. That said he was their MVP imo, he was outstanding most of the time, I can't stress enough just how impressed I was with his play and how much he saved the teams ass so often.

I really believe he could easily be Price's backup this year and do a better job then Montoya. I'm sure another year in the AHL wouldn't hurt him but at some point they need to move Montoya and get a better, cheaper, younger goalie in Lindgren to replace him. Have McNiven and Fucale in the AHL with Hawkey going to the AHL after next season if he's outstanding or the following year if not (or if Montoya isn't moved)

Mete looks the part, now we just need to see how his game will translate at the pro level. But clearly they need to either trade up at the draft to grab a high quality D prospect or hope they can trade for one which will be very costly and difficult to do.

I think McCarron makes it on 4th line. CJ is the coach who used Chara as a big giant screen on the PP in Boston. Drouin will love Mac setting up screens on the powerplay & deflecting shots on goal. Hopefully all the summer training with Mitchell in Montreal pays off & he develops a more explosive first step with his skating.

Lots of competition this camp, pre season should be entertaining.

The best part of McCarron might be his play in the crease in the PP as he gives goalies and defensemen fits since he's so big and yet so hard to move. My main concern with him is that his offensive game never develops and he just ends up a solid 4th liner.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Hudon over Poehling?

I think 30 other teams would value a recently drafted 1st rounder over a guy who is waiver eligible and was passed up in the expansion draft in favour of Alexei Emelin. I'd also put McCarron ahead of him for that matter.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
No high end prospects but good depth, the extra picks in the earlier rounds help it out.

Hudon over Poehling?

I think 30 other teams would value a recently drafted 1st rounder over a guy who is waiver eligible and was passed up in the expansion draft in favour of Alexei Emelin. I'd also put McCarron ahead of him for that matter.

I think being closer to NHL ready adds value to polls like this.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
HF Hab board voted on the top 30 prospects, several players like DLR, McCarron, Hudon could likely be the last time around on this list.

1. Noah Juulsen
2. Victor Mete
3. Charlie Lindgren
4. Charles Hudon
5. Ryan Poehling
6. Nikita Scherbak
7. Joni Ikonen
8. Michael McCarron
9. Michael McNiven
10. Jacob De La Rose
11. Josh Brook
12. Jake Evans
13. Brett Lernout
14. Martin Reway
15. Will Bitten
16. Cale Fleury
17. Simon Bourque
18. Jeremiah Addison
19. Zach Fucale
20. Scott Walford
21. Cayden Primeau
22. Hayden Hawkey
23. Lukas Vejdemo
24. Jarret Tyszka
25. Daniel Audette
26. Antoine Waked
27. Casey Staum
28. Markus Eisenschmid
29. Jérémy Grégoire
30. Arvid Henrikson

HM - Michael Pezzetta, Nikolas Koberstein, Tom Parisi

what's your top 10 looking like these days? jake evans seems to be the biggest riser so far this season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
what's your top 10 looking like these days? jake evans seems to be the biggest riser so far this season.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/my-top-20-update-post-68.1970425/page-3

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Jake Evans
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Nikita Scherbak
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Josh Brook
8. Michael McNiven
9. Michael McCarron
10. Will Bitten

Though if Brook wasn't injured I think he would be a top 3 prospect with Scherbak, one or the other along with Evans. Poehling, Brook, Evans, Scherbak, Lindgren, Juulsen are their top prospects. Primeau is moving up for sure though, could be a top 10 by the end of the year.

Reactions: Wats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad