HF GM Games Fantasy Mock Draft #3 - Voting, Round 2

Who would win (pick one for each matchup)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Minnesota and Los Angeles are a wash in their top six, but LA has a better bottom six punctuated by Kirby Dach vs Jordan Staal. Maybe in a year or two, Kirby.

I can't emphasise enough how Dillon can't carry more than a third pairing, and how Colin Miller has been really awful this season. It's a shitty second pairing, and it deserves to sink Los Angeles next round. Bad bottom four.

I prefer LA's top pairing and while Bishop is excellent, Kuemper was the Vezina front-runner until his injury.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Minnesota and Los Angeles are a wash in their top six, but LA has a better bottom six punctuated by Kirby Dach vs Jordan Staal. Maybe in a year or two, Kirby.

I can't emphasise enough how Dillon can't carry more than a third pairing, and how Colin Miller has been really awful this season. It's a shitty second pairing, and it deserves to sink Los Angeles next round. Bad bottom four.

I prefer LA's top pairing and while Bishop is excellent, Kuemper was the Vezina front-runner until his injury.

I prefer Minnesota. LA's top pairing is better, but Kempny - Schmidt is a great shutdown pair, much better than Dillon - Miller. Dubois is also quite a bit better than Backlund, and I prefer their LWs.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
For Detroit, Kessel isn't a first line player anymore. Hamonic is garbage and shouldn't be anywhere close to a first pairing, and Ristolainen isn't very good at defending either.

RNH is better on the wing than at centre these days while Nyquist has been ordinary. By contrast, Columbus has one of the league's most dangerous passers in Domi paired with Mantha. That's a no brainer for a better second line.

While Columbus annoys me with Skjei on the right, their top four is light years better as a unit than Detroit's.

Detroit basically has a better first line (but baaaaaarely, and only because Eichel is so good) and the best goalie in the game, but they're going to give up a million high quality chances a game against a team that features Stamkos, Debrincat and Mantha.

Reactions: DanCloutiers5hole

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
People really shouldn't be voting Vancouver here.

Bobrovsky has been atrocious this year while Hart has been very good.

Jones--who's playing on his off side--is paired with the corpse of Doughty.

Noah Dobson, who had no business being in the NHL this year, is on the second pairing.

Luke Schenn, one of the worst players in the NHL now, is on his third pairing.

Mittelstadt, his third line centre, is a guy who spent the last half of the season being mediocre in the AHL.

Colorado, on the other hand, doesn't have a single player who's playing on a line or pairing way above their ability, has the best centre depth, an excellent goalie, oh, and the best defenceman in the NHL.

Even their line constructions are better. Each player has a clear role, while Vancouver's first line has duplicated styles in Huberdeau and Gusev while their second line has duplicated styles in Olofsson and Toffoli.

Jesus Christ, people.

To counter point you:

He could just move Kunin to 3rd line C and then I'd prefer Monahan/Krejci to Schenn/Schmaltz. Tierney and Kunin are both guys who really don't move a needle for me. Schmaltz is one of the bigger reasons Arizona cratered in the 2nd half, he disappeared.

Monahan is the shooter on the top line and Huberdeau does it all, the 2nd line has a playmaker to feed Olofsson or Toffoli, I don't see it as bad as you do.

Hart has been better than Bobrovsky but also...Florida D is eek, Alain Vigneault's system really benefits Hart's style.

You say Colorado has nobody playing on a line above their ability, Will Butcher isn't a 2nd pairing guy. Marino was great in the first half but he tailed off for me in the 2nd half, so that pairing as a whole scares me. Dobson also scares me, but Brodin is pretty stable at least. Ryan Pulock isn't really a guy who makes sense with Roman Josi.

I get a lot of crap for Pavelski on line 2 (mind you, as a C)...Nick Foligno is only line 2 in 5v5 minutes because he's a 3rd liner in reality.

You just said Graves having played limited off-hand is fine, Seth Jones could play off-hand and he'd still be a great defender. Doughty on a new team could inspire him (I'm not the biggest Doughty guy anymore too but playing with Jones wouldn't hurt him at all).

Points I agree on: Dobson/Fantenberg/Schenn is a yikes 4/5/6 D. Josi is my 2nd best D right now in the league. Hart has been better than Bob. I felt it was close but Vancouver had better upside, better capability to score goals, better PP due to the forward talent. Vancouver has 7 impact forwards, Colorado has about 4-5 depending on the night.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Lucbourdon didn't though, did he?

Huberdeau and Gusev both demand the puck. Maybe they're the next Panarin-Kane, but Vancouver simply has a better balanced offence with more clearcut roles with them split.

Monahan wasn't very good the second half of the season either. Based on this season, he's been a very clear cut below Schenn. If I had to choose a slumping centre, it wouldn't be the one on my first line.

Tierney remains a full-time NHL player who somehow always outproduces how good he seems to be. Mittelstadt, again, couldn't even stick on Buffalo. Bert is a good player, but it's all undone with how Mittelstadt's season went.

If Foligno isn't a second line winger, then neither is Olofsson. Olofsson is good on the powerplay, but he's just not that good at evens. He got by this season as a very clear third fiddle to Eichel and Reinhart. At least with Foligno on the second we know that he's the F3.

I just said Graves did it in Colorado, sure. But he's irrelevant here. Jones is an RD, and he isn't being maximized if he plays LD.

Vancouver's "better upside" is a mirage of better known players. And even if they do have more scoring potential, it's not by much. For whatever powerplay Vancouver runs, Colorado gets to run van Riemsdyk-Schenn-Marner-Bjorkstrand-Josi.

Vancouver's defence and goalie are just too shitty to compensate.

Reactions: DanCloutiers5hole

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Wow. I definitely thought Washington was running the lines I suggested in the discussion thread.

Anyway, Florida vs Washington is the most even matchup.

OB5

May 2, 2015
GG LB a bit rattled I lost but at least it was razor thin and not a blowout. Crazy matchup. This one was fun.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
GG LB a bit rattled I lost but at least it was razor thin and not a blowout. Crazy matchup. This one was fun.

Who did you lose to? I loved your top-6, it was one of the best in the game.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Okay so here is my pitch.

Calgary's D may be better, and goalies, and heck probably forwards too, but Seattle has CUPS!

Just kidding, I'm voting Calgary. Congrats @Kent Nilsson on the easy round 2. Happy to make it this far.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018

Calgary's D may be better, and goalies, and heck probably forwards too, but Seattle has CUPS!

Just kidding, I'm voting Calgary. Congrats @Kent Nilsson on the easy round 2. Happy to make it this far.

That was probably the toughest restriction anyone has taken on so far. Getting past the first round is a hell of a feat.

Reactions: m0pe

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Having a hard time understanding Det over CBJ.

It is a lot harder to make a good top end roster when you take a goalie early.

I like your top-6 and top pair better. But I think when it came down to the rest of the picks, I prefer his team.

Hellebuyck >>> Rittich sold me. If you miss out on a good starter to stack your skaters too much, it will hurt you in the playoffs sooner or later

Reactions: DatsyukianDekes13

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

I prefer Seattles matchup ability in this... I voted them.

Reactions: m0pe

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Noah Dobson, who had no business being in the NHL this year, is on the second pairing.

Mittelstadt, his third line centre, is a guy who spent the last half of the season being mediocre in the AHL.

Colorado, on the other hand, doesn't have a single player who's playing on a line or pairing way above their ability, has the best centre depth, an excellent goalie, oh, and the best defenceman in the NHL.

Even their line constructions are better. Each player has a clear role, while Vancouver's first line has duplicated styles in Huberdeau and Gusev while their second line has duplicated styles in Olofsson and Toffoli.

Jesus Christ, people.
Yea that’s a lame one to me. Colorado deserves the W.

When you start to pick the top 10 picks to make the team look nice on paper you lose me. The core groups are close. Colorado rounded it out nicer

Reactions: Panda Bear

OB5

May 2, 2015

Jesus Christ, people.

Geeze where were you last round?

Reactions: hockeynorth

datboichoi

May 26, 2020
Looks like the :sharks might be going down in this round. It was a fun first draft for me, the #32 position certainly wasn't optimal but I'm happy with the offense I was able to put together. Thanks for a good game, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad