HF GM Games Fantasy Mock Draft #3 - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It's not that I don't think he's good its more a stylistic thing, same way I wouldn't draft John Carlson even if he was BPA, unless I know for sure he can be well insulated with players who compliment him.

It's actually part of the reason I think teams drafting Matthews have had a bit of difficulty too, you have to nail the pieces around him.

It's for players like Drai and Matthews I wanted to see the optimal slot, some guys are harder to build around then others (i.e. Crosby is probably the easiest)

I believe Draisaitl's production increased when McDavid went down which is amazing. It is odd watching him play though. At times he looks lethargic but i think he just coasts for stretches to conserve energy (Tippett was playing the hell out of him and McDavid)

Reactions: hockeynorth

datboichoi

May 26, 2020
Why is that exactly? Just curious, he has been an absolute beast.

I'm not the OP but I'd suppose it's for the same reason that guys like Jake Guentzel consistently get overlooked. For games where you are relying on others' perceptions and interpretations of the team you've put together, people tend to underrate the linemates of elite players because there are questions surrounding how that linemate would play if they weren't attached to the elite player's hip. A bit unfair in Draisaitl's case because I believe he tends to play more on RNH's line, but it's certainly something I take into account when researching picks.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I have absolutely no preference where I draft.

I think this is the correct mindset to have.

I’m of the opinion that if you have a good strategy and a good pulse on which players are the most valuable and fit your team needs at the current time, then where you draft makes little to no difference.

Same. I’ll draft the best team no matter where I draft.

I agree that your draft spot doesn't really affect your outcome. If you draft well you'll do well.

I've been in the top-10 both times so far, so I just want to change things up a bit.

Reactions: Gecklund

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
You need to watch Drai more.
Yeah pretty much why I'd likely struggle to build around him

I believe Draisaitl's production increased when McDavid went down which is amazing. It is odd watching him play though. At times he looks lethargic but i think he just coasts for stretches to conserve energy (Tippett was playing the hell out of him and McDavid)
Every time I have seen him I've just been struck by how odd his style is, it's not that I think he's a bad hockey player at all, I totally get how good he is but I wouldn't know what to do with him lol, think when you give your grandpa an iPad except I'm far from a grandpa and it's not an iPad, its a big beastly German hockey player

I'm not the OP but I'd suppose it's for the same reason that guys like Jake Guentzel consistently get overlooked. For games where you are relying on others' perceptions and interpretations of the team you've put together, people tend to underrate the linemates of elite players because there are questions surrounding how that linemate would play if they weren't attached to the elite player's hip. A bit unfair in Draisaitl's case because I believe he tends to play more on RNH's line, but it's certainly something I take into account when researching picks.
This too, perception from some voters who knock players, I draft a lot off of bad teams not good ones

Reactions: datboichoi

OB5

May 2, 2015
I agree that your draft spot doesn't really affect your outcome. If you draft well you'll do well.

I've been in the top-10 both times so far, so I just want to change things up a bit.
Same. I've been 15 and 17 and I just want something new.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Bottom half 3rd time in a row lol

If we are allowed to trade teams and someone wants to swap spots PM me...

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
This is definitely going to be a challenge for me. May have to switch up the strategy a bit, but we'll see how it goes.

After this I'll have done the start/middle/end in these drafts. Will be interesting to compare.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
You can trade teams but it has to be completely and at that point, you're just gonna swap teams (e.g., if you're Chicago and you trade all picks with Anaheim, I'm just going to have GM1 take Anaheim and GM2 take Chicago).

This obviously has to be done before the trading teams have made any picks at all.

Reactions: m0pe

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I AM SEATTLE

I FACE PANDA FIRST ROUND

Someone please trade with me so they can take on the best drafter in this joint.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If anyone who’s picked high is interested in picking low I have 30th as Ottawa and would swap. Fine with staying 20th and 30th also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->