HF Game of the Year 2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2 Wins

HF Game of the Year 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If 76 would have been a typical Fallout game, I'm sure it would have made the list

Oh absolutely. 4 was even my vote for GOTY

RDR2 and spider man.

Normally I would nominate MLB the show each year, but I can not in good faith do that this year.

Ya. Fifa is probably the sports game that deserves a mention this year. The Journey has come along very well

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I downloaded it on Switch when it was on sale last week. Looking forward to really digging into it after I am done with Smash.

FYI, it's not the kind of game that requires a big investment of time. An entire play through lasts only an hour or two, then you start all over again, but with radically different mechs (with the suggested goal being to unlock and beat the game with every mech unit). You don't have to do even that in one sitting, either, as you can easily jump into the game and play for only 10 minutes at a time. It's great for when you have less than half an hour to play and don't want to start a quest, mission or level in another game that you're afraid that you won't have time to finish.

Last edited:

Chris Pronger

Valar morghulis
Jan 20, 2011
Canada
NBA2K is still streaks and streaks ahead of FIFA as a game.

Not really. NBA is full of micro transactions in every game mode.
You have to pay for your player to be decent in my career, you have to pay to have decent players in myTeam and have to pay just to get a freaking haircut and clothes in my park

Reactions: SniperHF

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Not really. NBA is full of micro transactions in every game mode.
You have to pay for your player to be decent in my career, you have to pay to have decent players in myTeam and have to pay just to get a freaking haircut and clothes in my park

Yes, really. Yes 2K is riddled with micro transactions in SOME modes, it doesn't change the fact 2K is a much superior GAME all around, as someone who has played both every year for well over a decade and has been involved in the competitive FIFA scene.

Saying you have to pay to have decent players in my team is so incorrect that I have to assume you don't actually play it. Playing through domination leads you to plenty of more than decent players through the token unlocks and auctioning the rewards and between the challenges, set rewards, and regular locker codes it's incredibly easy to make a stacked team.

It is much much easier to build a competitive team and get strong players in myteam without spending money than it is in ultimate team where unless you get epic pack luck, or heavily work the market, you aren't getting a great team without money.

Further evidence that you don't actually play the game is that haircuts don't actually cost money now. But let's not let facts get in the way. Yes, you have to pay for clothes. Those clothes aren't giving you any benefit, they're simply for looks. Clothes cost money in real life as well. And it's not like you don't get free clothes and have to run around naked lol. You get free stuff as you go along.

The depth of gameplay, the graphics, the presentation, the range of modes, the depth of those modes, the commentary, is all easily in 2Ks favour. FIFA's edge is the servers. 2K's servers remain bad. And even then, FIFA's servers regularly come under heavy criticism. Everything else about the actual game 2K wins.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yes, really. Yes 2K is riddled with micro transactions in SOME modes, it doesn't change the fact 2K is a much superior GAME all around, as someone who has played both every year for well over a decade and has been involved in the competitive FIFA scene.

Saying you have to pay to have decent players in my team is so incorrect that I have to assume you don't actually play it. Playing through domination leads you to plenty of more than decent players through the token unlocks and auctioning the rewards and between the challenges, set rewards, and regular locker codes it's incredibly easy to make a stacked team.

It is much much easier to build a competitive team and get strong players in myteam without spending money than it is in ultimate team where unless you get epic pack luck, or heavily work the market, you aren't getting a great team without money.

Further evidence that you don't actually play the game is that haircuts don't actually cost money now. But let's not let facts get in the way. Yes, you have to pay for clothes. Those clothes aren't giving you any benefit, they're simply for looks. Clothes cost money in real life as well. And it's not like you don't get free clothes and have to run around naked lol. You get free stuff as you go along.

The depth of gameplay, the graphics, the presentation, the range of modes, the depth of those modes, the commentary, is all easily in 2Ks favour. FIFA's edge is the servers. 2K's servers remain bad. And even then, FIFA's servers regularly come under heavy criticism. Everything else about the actual game 2K wins.
How is the card variety in 2k? Is it like HUT where there are a million cards for each player or like The Show where base cards are still really good cards.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
How is the card variety in 2k? Is it like HUT where there are a million cards for each player or like The Show where base cards are still really good cards.

There are multiple variations for players. Each player there's the base card and then a heat check card which changes temporarily real-life performance. Some of those base cards also aren't the equivalent of the player in the game e.g. the base KD is 90 (might be 91) which is lower than he is in the game, the diamond KD is the equivalent of his usual in game player, then there's also a rookie Sonics KD that is 80 something overall. Same deal with other guys e.g. there's a rookie Kobe that is 80 something, there's a rookie Jordan that is 89 overall. You've got special edition cards of certain guys. If someone has a monster night like when Rose and Griffin dropped 50 they'll release a "moments" card where Rose for example was 94 overall, that's permanent unlike the heat check ones. They'll also release bumped up cards for lesser guys who have a big but not giant type game like that. Some guys just have special cards because of popularity e.g. there's a pink diamond J.R Smith that is one of the best cards in the game that is 98 I think. The base Melo is trash but there's a diamond Melo that is awesome etc.

There's a bunch of historic cards and then more of those that get rolled out weekly. Some of those, for example they've been rolling out top tier cards of the previous cover athletes. There's a huge amount of historical guys, not just all star level types.

FIFA obviously has a much bigger variety of individual players because it's Football so there's so many more players (even then you get the novelty cards like scream, tots etc) whereas the NBA is a bit limited by roster size. Like I touched on, it's pretty easy to get a roster of big name players as a result. It's getting that next level up, special type player that becomes more expensive on the auction house. E.g. you can get a base James Harden pretty cheaply, think he is around 20-30k, and he's 90ov. But if you want the Iverson they released, he's going to be more like 200k.

You can get a base ruby guys that are 89/90ish of guys like Lillard, Paul, Embiid etc for around two or three thousand VC.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
There are multiple variations for players. Each player there's the base card and then a heat check card which changes temporarily real-life performance. Some of those base cards also aren't the equivalent of the player in the game e.g. the base KD is 90 (might be 91) which is lower than he is in the game, the diamond KD is the equivalent of his usual in game player, then there's also a rookie Sonics KD that is 80 something overall. Same deal with other guys e.g. there's a rookie Kobe that is 80 something, there's a rookie Jordan that is 89 overall. You've got special edition cards of certain guys. If someone has a monster night like when Rose and Griffin dropped 50 they'll release a "moments" card where Rose for example was 94 overall, that's permanent unlike the heat check ones. They'll also release bumped up cards for lesser guys who have a big but not giant type game like that. Some guys just have special cards because of popularity e.g. there's a pink diamond J.R Smith that is one of the best cards in the game that is 98 I think. The base Melo is trash but there's a diamond Melo that is awesome etc.

There's a bunch of historic cards and then more of those that get rolled out weekly. Some of those, for example they've been rolling out top tier cards of the previous cover athletes. There's a huge amount of historical guys, not just all star level types.

FIFA obviously has a much bigger variety of individual players because it's Football so there's so many more players (even then you get the novelty cards like scream, tots etc) whereas the NBA is a bit limited by roster size. Like I touched on, it's pretty easy to get a roster of big name players as a result. It's getting that next level up, special type player that becomes more expensive on the auction house. E.g. you can get a base James Harden pretty cheaply, think he is around 20-30k, and he's 90ov. But if you want the Iverson they released, he's going to be more like 200k.

You can get a base ruby guys that are 89/90ish of guys like Lillard, Paul, Embiid etc for around two or three thousand VC.
This is such a turn off for me when it comes to ultimate team modes. I can't stand cards that are just not realistic. One game shouldn't give a player a 98 card imo. I understand why they do it, but i'll pass on the game if they insist on doing it.

Reactions: Morozov

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Need MOAR nominations, games with the most nominations will make the final poll.

Current count:
God of War12
Red Dead Redemption 29
Spider-Man8
Dead Cells4
Hitman 23
Assassin's Creed Odyssey2
Celeste2
Dragon Ball FighterZ2
Into the Breach2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance2
The Messenger2
Valkyria Chronicles 42
Beat Sabre1
Detroit Become Human1
Dragon Quest XI1
FIFA 191
Forza Horizon 4 1
Monster Hunter: Wolrd1
Ocopath Traveler1
Wreckfest1
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna - The Golden Country1
Shadow of the Colossus (remake?1
Subnautica1
Super Smash Bros: Ultimate1
Tetris Effect1
Under Night In-Birth Exe:late[st]1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It's nice to see someone else here who enjoyed that as much as I did. It's such a beautifully simple, yet very addictive strategy game.

Is this a nomination for Into the Breach ?

Red Dead Redenption 2

What about a sub category "remake/remaster of the year"?

I'm not opposed to doing other categories but are there enough remasters out there to be worth having one? Or would it just be the Shadow of the Colossus poll?

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
I'm not opposed to doing other categories but are there enough remasters out there to be worth having one? Or would it just be the Shadow of the Colossus poll?
Don't know, I think Shadow of the colussus, Spyro reignited, Doom, Dark Souls, Crash Bandicoot, Yakuza Kiwami, Age of Empires, Donkey Kong and Captain Toad are all remasters of 2018, but you may be right.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
This is such a turn off for me when it comes to ultimate team modes. I can't stand cards that are just not realistic. One game shouldn't give a player a 98 card imo. I understand why they do it, but i'll pass on the game if they insist on doing it.

I agree for the most part, but I do understand more for a Basketball game in particular because if they didn't everyone would end up with the exact same cards very quickly and don't really know what the solution to that is.

I guess one option is to make the truly elite guys, KD, LeBron etc much rarer, so people are more forced to use silver, gold guys. There are a few problems with that though. The first is that, like in the real NBA, having one truly elite player is such a huge advantage over a team that doesn't have one that getting one of those guys would kill much of the balance. Second is that people want to play with the name players, and third of course is it gets people buying packs when they release a special card like that and people start chasing them.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
It's no hope of winning, but I'll throw Soul Calibur out there as well just so it gets a little more credit.

Been a fan since Soul Blade and this was a great return to form after some average outings.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is this a nomination for Into the Breach ?

I'll nominate it now that you asked and because someone else also did. If I were to make my official list, it'd be:

Subnautica
Into the Breach
Two Point Hospital
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Return of the Obra Dinn

Those are also just about the only 2018 games that I've played :biglaugh:

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think I've only played a few 2018 releases...

I am not going to nominate them all, but these are the ones that I've played.

Tetris Effect (will nominate)
Madden 19 (will not nominate)
MLB The Show 18 (will not nominate)
Pokemon Let's Go Eevee (will not nominate)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (will nominate)

I think that might be it. :laugh:

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
In 2018 I was occupied by older games than 2018 releases. The only current game I played for a longer time and really enjoyed was Dragon Quest XI, so this is another nomination for this game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->