HF Fantasy Mock Draft Rules/Sign-Up

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Rules will be the same as hfoil mock draft that took place this past summer:

- Draft will be 20 rounds and you need to have 12F, 6D, 2G
- Drafting the best possible team which will be voted on at the end of the draft. The best future team (2-3 years from now so that no one loads up solely on prospects) will also be voted on following the draft.
- Trading of picks during the draft will be allowed as long as you submit for approval and it is approved by myself
- There is a salary cap of 75M, and you must keep track of this yourself
- If you are over the cap by the end of the draft, you're out of the voting
- Players like Kovalchuk outside of the NHL are not available
- 2018 draft eligible prospects are not eligible for the main draft (Dahlin, Svechnikov, etc)
- Everyone has 24 hours to make their pick (subject to change depending on how active users are). If pick is not made on time you are autoed.
- Please PM/Discord message the person after you
- You can't take your backup goalie until Round 8. No rules on when you need your starter though.

Time for picks between 10:00AM ET - 11:00PM ET

PM THE NEXT PERSON

CAP HITS FOR YOUR TEAMS CAN BE EASILY CALCULATED HERE: Edit your Team - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
*Make sure to subtract bonuses amount from cap space amount to get actual cap space amount*

I suggest joining discord as it is a great place for discussion and trade talks during the draft. Link: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Anaheim Ducks - PaulBisonnette
Arizona Coyotes - McDrai
Boston Bruins - Paralyzer008
Buffalo Sabres - Scholarships
Calgary Flames - GM Vali Maki Sushi Assistant GM TooGoodreau
Carolina Hurricanes - belair
Chicago Blackhawks - TakinMaataOnMyRide
Colorado Avalanche - Pucker77
Columbus Blue Jackets - hi
Dallas Stars - Tryamkin
Detroit Red Wings - ATypicalCanadian
Edmonton Oilers - GM Weylspin ; Assistant GM Maticus ; Pres of Hockey Ops LaVar
Florida Panthers - Ermo20
Los Angeles Kings - McMozesMadness
Minnesota Wild - Weylspin
Montreal Canadiens - ATypicalCanadian
Nashville Predators - The List Of Jericho
New Jersey Devils - jumptheshark
New York Islanders - SJSharks39
New York Rangers - Joey Moss
Ottawa Senators - BoldNewLettuce
Philadelphia Flyers - DanCloutiers5hole
Pittsburgh Penguins - HailMcJesus
San Jose Sharks - Incetardis
Seattle Kraken - Scholarships
St. Louis Blues - flyersdad
Tampa Bay Lightning - DominicBoltsFan
Toronto Maple Leafs - Paneerboy
Vancouver Canucks - Goon42
Vegas Golden Knights - Joey Moss
Washington Capitals - SamSteelFan4Ever
Winnipeg Jets - donut

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Also will have some sort of excel sheet so that GMs can easily see who was selected

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'll take Vegas

I'd recommend making the rules more detailed than I did though, people were very serious about that last time :laugh:

Something like making the future's team best future in 2 years would be smart IMO. That way there's more strategy then taking prospects which anyone can do easily.

Last edited:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
This was a decent game last time BUT:

1) The "cap hit shown on the player's little CapGeek page" rule was dumb. It was extremely hard to keep track of salary both during the draft and after trades because CG's calculators don't use that number- they use the real cap hit, retention and all. At least if you use the real cap hit, everyone can make their team in the Armchair GM tool and use it as proof they are cap-compliant.

2) It would be nice to have the 2018 Draft involved somehow. Teams who wanted to build for the future didn't really have any incentive to do that in the last game so only a couple really tried.

HOWEVER, if we held a 2018 mock draft immediately after the conclusion of the main game- even just the first two rounds- there'd be a reason to "tank". Use the voting from the regular season to determine the draft order, allowing teams who want to be obscene for Dahlin to actually get something out of it.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'll take Vegas

I'd recommend making the rules more detailed than I did though, people were very serious about that last time :laugh:

Something like making the future's team best future in 2 years would be smart IMO. That way there's more strategy then taking prospects which anyone can do easily.

Lol do you know what some of the issues were last time? And yeah that's a pretty good idea. That way a GM can't go all out on prospects. Would need a good mix of players/ nhl ready prospects

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This was a decent game last time BUT:

1) The "cap hit shown on the player's little CapGeek page" rule was dumb. It was extremely hard to keep track of salary both during the draft and after trades because CG's calculators don't use that number- they use the real cap hit, retention and all. At least if you use the real cap hit, everyone can make their team in the Armchair GM tool and use it as proof they are cap-compliant.

2) It would be nice to have the 2018 Draft involved somehow. Teams who wanted to build for the future didn't really have any incentive to do that in the last game so only a couple really tried.

HOWEVER, if we held a 2018 mock draft immediately after the conclusion of the main game- even just the first two rounds- there'd be a reason to "tank". Use the voting from the regular season to determine the draft order, allowing teams who want to be obscene for Dahlin to actually get something out of it.

1. the armchair gm feature in capfriendly is a great tool to use in this draft for sure. However, GMs would have to be aware that the tool will only calculate a elc player's base salary against the cap and not the bonuses. The bonuses would have to be subtracted from the cap space amount to get the actual cap space which is easy to do since the tool indicates the total amount in bonuses as well as cap space left.

2. That's a good idea, will consider adding to the rules which would appease some tankers lol

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Lol do you know what some of the issues were last time? And yeah that's a pretty good idea. That way a GM can't go all out on prospects. Would need a good mix of players/ nhl ready prospects
As posted above the cap hit thing was brought up. People wanted to trade draft picks.. The biggest thing was just making the 'contender' vs. 'future' criteria more detailed.

Contender means you are building the best team on paper to win the cup this season. Easy enough.. the future one needs something to it. I think if you make it something like; Intending to win the cup within a 5 year window that will make it so teams draft a mix of youth and veterans. IMO drafting a full team of prospects as some people did last time was dumb. Half of these guys won't be near what they are expected to be anyways so their future looks better right now and it's too easy to just pick a team full of prospects. No need for an entry draft IMO. If someone wants to take Rasmus Dahlin with the 5th overall regular pick, I say let them.

But that's my opinion.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
1. the armchair gm feature in capfriendly is a great tool to use in this draft for sure. However, GMs would have to be aware that the tool will only calculate a elc player's base salary against the cap and not the bonuses. The bonuses would have to be subtracted from the cap space amount to get the actual cap space which is easy to do since the tool indicates the total amount in bonuses as well as cap space left.

Yeah, that's fair, just put it in bold at the top so no one misses it.

2. That's a good idea, will consider adding to the rules which would appease some tankers lol

Thanks, yes, I think it will make that part of the game more interesting for people who want to play that way.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Last game there wasn't much incentive to re-build but why should there be an incentive to tank? That takes no strategy.

I'm in for this game wherever it goes but that's just my thoughts.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Last game there wasn't much incentive to re-build but why should there be an incentive to tank? That takes no strategy.

I'm in for this game wherever it goes but that's just my thoughts.

I'm thinking something along the lines of we will have a 2 round nhl entry ðraft based on the draft order of the mock draft. There will then be a lottery simulation to determine the actual standings of the entry draft, like the real thing. Teams can trade picks with eachother or even trade picks for nhl players depending on what their strategy is.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm thinking something along the lines of we will have a 2 round nhl entry ðraft based on the draft order of the mock draft. There will then be a lottery simulation to determine the actual standings of the entry draft, like the real thing. Teams can trade picks with eachother or even trade picks for nhl players depending on what their strategy is.
Yea that sounds good to me. Hopefully fills up soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->