HF Fantasy Draft Talk pt3

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I have the same top-5.

But Helle and Vasi are the only clear top-2 to me before a drop.

3-5 are good, but I don't think the seperation is THAT much over a number of other guys to make it worth drafting them early / being a major factor in voting over other good goalies
I agree, I felt like Bishop in the 8th or wherever I got him was good value though

I think Bishop talent-wise still has it (though not top 5) but his knees are made of tissue paper and whatever crappy inflated plastic bags Amazon uses instead of packing peanuts. Any team who takes him needs an elite platoon goalie too IMO.
Hmmmm interesting view for sure

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Esa Lindell shows really bad relative to his draft order for me. I have him as the 109th best defenceman.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The guy I was talking about earlier was Esa Lindell.

I watched him a lot in the playoffs trying to get a gauge on why he is so loved.

He makes a couple of "flashier" defensive plays, as in a key poke check or a big block, something of that nature. People then see it and go "wow he is so good defensively" but, mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - he has some solid instincts for sure, but top of the class?

I found he loses his positioning a decent number of times, he can't move the puck too well and gets stuck in several key mistakes. He's alright on the PK, but it's not like he's a guy who shuts it down every time. Look at Tampa Bay's two goals in game six - Point walks right into the middle of the ice to grab his rebound and Lindell kind of just stands there? He's not really covering anyone. I'm not entirely sure what he was doing. Maybe he thought he was covering the pass but then he lets Point walk right in to collect his rebound and Janmark has to chase him back?

2nd goal against he skates into the middle way too far and leaves Coleman wide open, baited and see you later.

In 2017-18, Lindell had a really nice season that maybe started the reputation. 52% possession, 55% GF at 5v5, and a 57% HD CF. That year, he was exactly what his reputation touted him to be.

This season, Lindell had about a 46% Corsi at 5v5, 47% GF at 5v5, but at least a 53% HDCF to show he can still make those key defensive plays to save some face. It does show how little Dallas can produce though offensively when he is on the ice.

In the playoffs though, he put out a paltry 43% Corsi, 39.5% GF at 5v5, and 45.6% XGoals. Those are nasty bad numbers. 26 5v5 goals were with him on the ice in only 26 games.

Can I vouch for Lindell being a decent 2nd pairing guy who you can use defensively? Yes. Can I vouch for him being a top defender that dominates and can play the top pairing? Eek.
I totally agree. I think the optimal way to have Lindell on pair one is with a RIDICULOUS defensive dman i.e. Erik Karlsson. You need an absolute machine in the offensive zone, and they've gotta have extremely high IQ. Otherwise he's a lot like that L4 @Panda Bear hates so much

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Am I the only one who still likes Bishop for some reason? My goalie rankings for next year go:

1. Hellebuyck
  2. Vasilevski
  3. Hart
  4. Bishop
  5. Rask
With one more in my elite tier (Hart to x is my elite tier, Helle/Vasi are in the star tier) then a drop off
Hellebuyck, Rask, Vasilevski
----
Hart, Bishop, Kuemper

Gibson and Bobrovsky have chances to bounce back into the second tier.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I totally agree. I think the optimal way to have Lindell on pair one is with a RIDICULOUS defensive dman i.e. Erik Karlsson. You need an absolute machine in the offensive zone, and they've gotta have extremely high IQ. Otherwise he's a lot like that L4 @Panda Bear hates so much

In this game, Lindell is paired with Pietrangelo - I don't hate it, and also he can find success in Dallas when he is with Klingberg for the reason you mention.

I just think he's always been a more 2nd pairing kinda guy and people talk about him like he's on a similar level to Miro and Klingberg and I can't say that.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
In this game, Lindell is paired with Pietrangelo - I don't hate it, and also he can find success in Dallas when he is with Klingberg for the reason you mention.

I just think he's always been a more 2nd pairing kinda guy and people talk about him like he's on a similar level to Miro and Klingberg and I can't say that.
I have Lindell sandwiched between Muzzin and Sergachev. Pionk his equal on the other side.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
hey everyone hockeynorth just did that bullshit thing where he wiped the board so he can use it for himself later
HA I did that a few hours ago, I didn't want picks being based off of it in the next game, it's way more fun with a wild board

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Was there anyone else who said they wanted in on the next one? I felt like there was a few for some reason

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I can revert the board if you guys want it, everyone just seemed to appreciate the off the board picks so I thought I'd try and keep that for game 2

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Do I do an @ push already or give it time? We're half full on game 2

I'd LOVE new players, I also like having as few double teams as possible though

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It’s cute you think a draft board will stop me from wilding with my picks.
Eventually the drafts get repetitive and that's when it's a problem, so either we need a wild board or rule changes, I opted for wild board

I do want people to actually use the secondary awards though. My favourite team in any of these is still @LT's super young team he built that one game (I think it was him at least)

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Eventually the drafts get repetitive and that's when it's a problem, so either we need a wild board or rule changes, I opted for wild board

I do want people to actually use the secondary awards though. My favourite team in any of these is still @LT's super young team he built that one game (I think it was him at least)

When Mope built Team Sweden and it was actually a really good team. Game 1.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017

All I'm going to say to this all is that for the sake of this game (and maybe this is my issue I don't talk enough about and defend my team), when looking at rosters even if you don't like Lindell for his draft position that should be scrapped when it gets to voting. Is Lindell-Pietrangelo a really good pairing and better that a lot of the others out there? Yeah I would say so. And I still feel the strengths and weaknesses in his game are masked by the fact Pietrangelo is a monster in every area Lindell isn't. And Lindell is still an effective defender especially in transition defense. So feelings about the player individually aside, he is in a position to succeed. That is all, def not saying he is Miro.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
All I'm going to say to this all is that for the sake of this game (and maybe this is my issue I don't talk enough about and defend my team), when looking at rosters even if you don't like Lindell for his draft position that should be scrapped when it gets to voting. Is Lindell-Pietrangelo a really good pairing and better that a lot of the others out there? Yeah I would say so. And I still feel the strengths and weaknesses in his game are masked by the fact Pietrangelo is a monster in every area Lindell isn't. And Lindell is still an effective defender especially in transition defense. So feelings about the player individually aside, he is in a position to succeed. That is all, def not saying he is Miro.
Don't worry, I scrapped my feelings on draft position for voting.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
That was my favourite restriction team. It actually did pretty decent too.
I've wanted to try a restriction team since but haven't wanted to cook a team. May try one this time if I have two teams, we will see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->