Status
Not open for further replies.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
Some good deals on Ticketexchange for tonight

Section 15, Row-5, $56 plus fees, 2 seats
Section 10, Row-17, $34 plus fees, 2 seats
Section-17, Row-18, $45 plus fees, 17 seats
Section 129, Row-2, $32 plus fees, 2 seats (center ice)

Lots of other good deals on TicketExchange (and probably Stubhub)

or my free* tickets in section 119 row 5

* I only ask for a donation to my son's dance marathon fundraiser ... any amount of your choosing

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yup, not like college kids don't know about stubhub. If they really wanted to go tonight, prices of the tickets aren't an issue on the secondary market.

That's not the point DD and I are making.

The point is, why significantly raise prices on a student discount program?

Especially given the fact that with the price increase, as you noted, the student "discount" program is now more expensive than numerous secondary market sources!

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Devils are offering $200 rebates to former Devils STH who buy ST again, just got this email:

Thank you for your support of the New Jersey Devils! Given that you've purchased a New Jersey Devils ticket plan in the past, you are now qualified to redeem an exclusive offer courtesy of the Devils and American Express. Starting today through Wednesday, October 31, anyone who has had a Devils ticket plan in the past and purchases a pair of 2018-19 Devils Memberships will receive a $200 gift card, courtesy of our partners at American Express. For more details on this exclusive offer, please contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I look forward to hosting you this season!

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Devils are offering $200 rebates to former Devils STH who buy ST again, just got this email:

You know, I might have to actually run some math on this.

One of the worst financial parts of being a STH, is being forced to pay for preseason games, which are negative value.

The next worst financial value (as has been discussed in this thread) are October games.

If the Devils are letting you jump in on October 31st (after 7 home games), you avoid those 2 biggest STH negatives. Plus, aren't you allowed to sell 8 games back to the Devils at your full STH price, do they still do that? If so, this would essentially be a 26 game STH plan with a $200 discount. If you choose some of the cheaper seats, that $200 will pay for a few more games.

Anyone have the math on the full cost with tax, fees, etc... on STH seats in the D.A.T. balcony and/or UL Center (229 or 212).

I need to do some Excel work. If my initial suspicions are correct, I may actually jump on this.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
That's not the point DD and I are making.

The point is, why significantly raise prices on a student discount program?

Especially given the fact that with the price increase, as you noted, the student "discount" program is now more expensive than numerous secondary market sources!

Exactly, what they have done with the Student Rush is not the optimal way of selling tickets.
Setting Student Rush ticket prices much higher than what's on the secondary market makes absolutely no sense at all.

They want fans to move away from monitoring the secondary market until the last minute anyways, so why not just give Students a good/fair deal ahead of time?

Plus, it lessons the amount of seats available on the primary market.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
You know, I might have to actually run some math on this.

One of the worst financial parts of being a STH, is being forced to pay for preseason games, which are negative value.

The next worst financial value (as has been discussed in this thread) are October games.

If the Devils are letting you jump in on October 31st (after 7 home games), you avoid those 2 biggest STH negatives. Plus, aren't you allowed to sell 8 games back to the Devils at your full STH price, do they still do that? If so, this would essentially be a 26 game STH plan with a $200 discount. If you choose some of the cheaper seats, that $200 will pay for a few more games.

Anyone have the math on the full cost with tax, fees, etc... on STH seats in the D.A.T. balcony and/or UL Center (229 or 212).

I need to do some Excel work. If my initial suspicions are correct, I may actually jump on this.

Only had 1 preseason game this year at least and the 8 buybacks have to be used as a credit for next year's season tickets so if you don't plan on renewing you won't get that money back.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah it's hard right now because today is literally baseball, football, hockey and basketball season all at once, and they are trying to price everything for the whole season. i dont know if it makes sense or is viable to just discount all of the early season games but the secondary market clearly values everything before thanksgiving to be quite low.

they are trying though - they were giving away tickets to prospective "members" for any of this weeks games in the lower bowl completely free. for redeeming my flex plan early i got free club seats to one of the games this month. i dunno it's a hard sell when there's such little demand right now but by february/march if the team is good the prices you see today aren't going to be there, and the student rush could be a much better deal at that point

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Only had 1 preseason game this year at least and the 8 buybacks have to be used as a credit for next year's season tickets so if you don't plan on renewing you won't get that money back.

Ahhh, I didnt realize that, so the buyback is really deferred. That makes this offer a 34 game ST plan.

I thought someone here said ticket plans cost the same or more than last year even though there was only 1 preseason game, is that not true?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Ahhh, I didnt realize that, so the buyback is really deferred. That makes this offer a 34 game ST plan.

I thought someone here said ticket plans cost the same or more than last year even though there was only 1 preseason game, is that not true?

Mine didn't go up in price but they gave us a credit back for the Edmonton Sweden game. Should have gotten 2 more since we only had 1 preseason game.

I like my seats and the people around me, a lot of the time I can get face value for them too if I can't go(which is only 2-3 games tops all year anyway and if they don't sell for face value I do a buyback)

If everyone around me left then I'd probably go more with a secondary market plan but I'm picky about where I sit.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Crunched the math & based on 34 games & subtracting off the $200 AMEX card from the total price, it brings the cost of a D.A.T. balcony mid section to high section or Upper Level seat down to $40.39 per game (based on 2 seats), starting with the mid-November game.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to get $40.39 back per game you need to sell, as the Stubhub listed price (i.e. what buyers pay) would need to be $51.61 just for you to break even. I dont see that happening, so net/net this doesn't appear as good a deal as I initially suspected & I think secondary market is likely still a better deal for most games unless you truly can attend almost every game.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
But, fans are not forced to buy stuff if they don't want to.

Of course. However the theory of being in the building for a longer period of time, will with some people, equate to wanting to kill some time by doing things such as taking a walk around. In doing so some may see this neat looking and different food offering or clothing/accessory item and say hey what the heck. Maybe buy some for themselves or their kids or whoever they may be with will buy some as well.

This isn't the case for everybody, however it is with those mentioned above and the Devils, like any team are fully aware of both. They have little to lose by having people in the building longer.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Of course traffic is a bigger joke than usual today and of course the lot on my street is blocked off. I’m still crawling around town a half hour later, probably won’t even make puckdrop despite leaving at 5:30, IF I find anywhere to park...ridiculous.

I had no traffic at all and no issues parking.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Crunched the math & based on 34 games & subtracting off the $200 AMEX card from the total price, it brings the cost of a D.A.T. balcony mid section to high section or Upper Level seat down to $40.39 per game (based on 2 seats), starting with the mid-November game.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to get $40.39 back per game you need to sell, as the Stubhub listed price (i.e. what buyers pay) would need to be $51.61 just for you to break even. I dont see that happening, so net/net this doesn't appear as good a deal as I initially suspected & I think secondary market is likely still a better deal for most games unless you truly can attend almost every game.
Last season I sold my $40 balcony tickets on ticketmaster exchange for many good payouts. It depends on what games you are willing to sell and go to. I got $120 per seat for a Rangers game, $75 per seat for the blackhawks game. $65 per seat for the Capitals game, etc etc.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Looking at mezzanine seats in 109. Anyone know if the idiot with the vuvuzela above there in the UL is gone or is he still there?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Right now on Stubhub, for Thursday there are tickets listed @ $13 in sections:

It is unlikely, IMO, that eleven people all listed their tickets at precisely the same low-ball $13 price. YOMV.

StubHub!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->