HF Determines the Coyotes Offseason Priorities #2

#2?

• Scoring Depth (Bottom 6ers who contribute on the scoresheet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something with the goalies (try to move one, save money etc etc )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Top pairing RHD would be #2, but i don't think that it is realistic target. We need more top-6 wingers

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I voted with the assumption that priority #1 got addressed.

If we get a top line winger then we're all set in terms of depth. We can then focus on shifting the mix and style. Team toughness.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Second line wing. We need scoring.

We need to add about 40 net goals to the lineup. We had 213 GF last season which ranked 27th. If we add 40 goal (253) that moves us into 13th. Adding 40 is probably a best case scenario, but it can't be much lower than that. Only 2 playoff teams scored less than 245.

So even if we add Kessel and he gets 30, we are only 5 ahead when you subtract the losses of Panik (14) and likely Fischer (11). Internal improvements (Galchenyuk, Garland, Keller, etc.) should help bridge some of the gap, as should full seasons from the injured guys (Dvorak, Schmaltz, Grabner, etc.) but I still think we'd need more. Maybe if the budget gets expanded we can also sign a guy like Eberle (a 20-goal guy with sandpaper would be even better).

Keller - Schmaltz - Kessel
Gally - Dvorak - Eberle
Crouse - Stepan - Hinostroza
Grabner - Hayton - Garland
Richardson/Cousins

We are damn close to the cap btw. Might have to send Hossa and Bunting to Ottawa for a 7th.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also I think it's going to be very tricky to improve the D. Any addition would mean we need to move out one of Goligoski or Demers (I assume that OEL, Hammer, and Chychrun are untouchable, and what's the point of upgrading on Oesterle?).

I can't imagine who is available that would be a worthwhile upgrade on either.

OEL - Demers
Goligoski - Hammer
Chychrun - Oesterle
Capobianco, Connauton, Lyubushkin

For example, is signing someone like Tyler Myers that much of an upgrade on Jason Demers? I don't think so when you consider the acquisition cost. You're spending more on Myers in terms of salary and likely only getting a draft pick for Demers. That doesn't even get into the external factors like Demers has good chemistry with OEL and is a good room guy.

We were a Top 5 defensive team last season so I'd need a pretty huge reason (i.e., Erik Karlsson) to even bother tinkering with the D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Second line wing. We need scoring.

We need to add about 40 net goals to the lineup. We had 213 GF last season which ranked 27th. If we add 40 goal (253) that moves us into 13th. Adding 40 is probably a best case scenario, but it can't be much lower than that. Only 2 playoff teams scored less than 245.

So even if we add Kessel and he gets 30, we are only 5 ahead when you subtract the losses of Panik (14) and likely Fischer (11). Internal improvements (Galchenyuk, Garland, Keller, etc.) should help bridge some of the gap, as should full seasons from the injured guys (Dvorak, Schmaltz, Grabner, etc.) but I still think we'd need more. Maybe if the budget gets expanded we can also sign a guy like Eberle (a 20-goal guy with sandpaper would be even better).

Keller - Schmaltz - Kessel
Gally - Dvorak - Eberle
Crouse - Stepan - Hinostroza
Grabner - Hayton - Garland
Richardson/Cousins

We are damn close to the cap btw. Might have to send Hossa and Bunting to Ottawa for a 7th.
Our cap situation is going to be worse next year. I think we have to leave well enough alone as we can't afford to add, unless we can get rid of Gogo and Stepan. Getting rid of our #14 and Fischer does not help our cap situation and I think would be a stupid move. Adding Eberle I think would be an even dumber move. We have one star player in OEL, not one super star and we are near the cap limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Name Nameless

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
All depends on ownership situation. Moving Hossa and a rising cap help too.

If we see what we need to see from Dvorak and Schmaltz this season, then Stepan is moved next summer to a team needing a centre.

Extensions for Keller and Galchenyuk should be covered when you subtract Hossa, Ribeiro, Stepan, and Goligoski.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All depends on ownership situation. Moving Hossa and a rising cap help too.

If we see what we need to see from Dvorak and Schmaltz this season, then Stepan is moved next summer to a team needing a centre.

Extensions for Keller and Galchenyuk should be covered when you subtract Hossa, Ribeiro, Stepan, and Goligoski.
A lot of if's there my friend.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Have heard NYI and Lee are close. I'm interested in Ferland if the term isn't insane. Like 4 years or less.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Have heard NYI and Lee are close. I'm interested in Ferland if the term isn't insane. Like 4 years or less.
What are we going to pay him? Don't forget we have to sign a couple of our RFA's.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Again, depends on ownership. If it's Barroway, we can probably only add 1 piece. If it's a new guy, hopefully 2.

Not too worried about this year's RFAs. Crouse is difficult to gauge but even still shouldn't be too far off 2 mil. Bush should make the same as last year and Cousins and Archibald won't break the bank either.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I was thinking more along the lines of before everything started make a list of biggest needs vs availability and where to direct efforts ahead of time. Like a game plan.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
As MY vote (not what I think Chayka will do, which is different) I would vote for 2C. Cause while we have C depth in theory I'm not exactly sold on it.

Is "another top line" forward an option?

I think a single vote for "top line winger" doesn't preclude it including two of them. Though It's pretty unlikely given budgets. If we land one of them we'll be stretching it pretty thin as is.

Thinking back to when we were targeting JVR it's pretty hard to see where some of the depth moves would have fit in last season if they had managed it.

Though I have somewhat guessed there's a "bonus budget" out there of a little bit of money in the event we actually woo one of these people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->