Speculation: HF Determines the Coyotes Off-Season Needs - #1

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So let's collectively decide what our most important and realistic needs our in the off-season. We're not talking specific players here just positions.

Could be via trade or FA, not talking about filling up the prospect pool.

Here are some ideas I've got, list yours or any I forgot and vote in the poll.

Top Pairing Right Defense
Middle pairing Left Defense
Middle six scoring Wing
Bottom pairing Defense
Middle six Center
4th line Center
Veteran Backup Goalie

For reference:
Real-dollars salary last season - 55 M (estimate)
15-16 Salary Floor - 52.8M
FWIW Leblanc said money wasn't a problem regarding signing players so I'm going to be generous and say our potential maximum budget for next season is $65M.

Professional players under control as of now:
Includes RFAs + Doan

Forwards:
Domi - Vermette - Doan
Rieder -Hanzal - Martinook
Duclair - Richardson - Fisher
Plotnikov - Dauphin - Samuelsson

Bunting - Gaudet - Sekac
- MacInnis -

Defense:
OEL - Murphy
Connauton - Stone
Dahlbeck - Michalek

Wood - Samuelsson
Mayo -

Goalies:
Mike Smith
Louis Domingue

Marek Langhammer
Adin HIll

**For the sake of argument we're assuming Doan comes back and the Coyotes aren't going after a #1 C.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Oh just to add, if I forgot something and you want it added don't vote yet and I'll add it.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I would have voted top pairing RHD, however, doubt Coyotes ability of acquiring one better than Murphy will be within next 2 years.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Top need is a General Manager :sarcasm:

Voted 2LD. While 1RD is also a need, it's salvageable with Murphy and Stone (and even Michalek, to a degree). While on the left side, we basically have no depth behind OEL. The likes of KConn, Dahlbeck, Tinordi, PSam, etc., are third-pairing guys, at best. There is a significant gap there.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Sniper, can you add an option? Middle pairing RHD?

I think we want a first pairing guy, but our team would be pretty well off enough with another 3-4 RHD. At least I'd be happy with that. I believe Murphy will grow into our first paring d-man.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
2nd pairing LD

Right now it's Dahlbeck or KConn there. Not good. Source of a lot of problems.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Well our biggest need is to fire Emperor God Overlord Dave Tippett, but that's just a ****ing pipe dream.

Our biggest need though, is probably a 2nd. pair LHD, since Stone or Murphy should be serviceable on the 1st. D. pair, for the time being.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think a right d is a high priority too but I think it's more realistic this is the hole we fill.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The way the off-season has gone so far, I wanna see management actually pull off something impressive. They say they have the money, they changed the management structure. Show me the big move.

Bring in the #2 defenseman and don't give up the farm in the process. Will worry about plugging the LD holes next off-season when the team should be ready to be competitive.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I think the 2nd pairing LHD is the most important slot to fill this season (unless we could realistically find a #1 RHD--which I don't think will happen with a noob GM at the helm).

We actually need three defensemen: #1 RD, #2 LD, and #2 RD.

OEL - Murphy or new RD
?? - ?? (Stone once he returns)
Connauton - Michalek

So, we currently have 3-4 decent D-men OEL, Murphy, and Connauton. Stone is also up there once he returns, but that might take a few months into the season. Z is a serviceable #3 RD, but should be replaced and move to the #7D

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Opening night is over six months from the date of Stone's injury. You think it's going to keep him out of action for over nine months? Medicine has improved. He'll be in camp, skating, and ready for opening night.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Opening night is over six months from the date of Stone's injury. You think it's going to keep him out of action for over nine months? Medicine has improved. He'll be in camp, skating, and ready for opening night.

I think he will be back in November, but the first year back from a major injury is usually the hardest. The second year back is when you usually see the biggest strides.

While LD is very important, there is a feeling that there will always be a much bigger pool of LHD to evaluate than RHD. The numbers side says that it will be much harder to fill the RD spot, so I think RD is the most important especially with Stone's injury, but it is close...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Our top pairing at the moment is OEL/Murphy. Our second pairing is Kconn/injured Stone. We have to pick up a LHD, lets just make it Yandle and be done with it. If not Yandle, it seems like other LHD are available as UFA's or in a trade. RHD's, everybody wants one in their top 4, will be more expensive. Maybe their is a vet RHD we pick up that is better then Z but not as good as Stone/Murphy to fill the gap and take minutes until Stone is ready to go full tilt. ACL injuries are dialed in now, but he might be tentative at first, could take a while for him to be as effective as last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The way the off-season has gone so far, I wanna see management actually pull off something impressive. They say they have the money, they changed the management structure. Show me the big move.

Bring in the #2 defenseman and don't give up the farm in the process. Will worry about plugging the LD holes next off-season when the team should be ready to be competitive.

You don't make moves just because management has changed. You have to have a dance partner and it has to make sense. Getting a #2 Dman is easier said than done.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I picked middle RHD based on the fact that they're harder to acquire compared to a LHD. Both would be welcome but just based off quality RHD being rare, I think that should the first priority.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I think a second pairing LHD is our biggest need. KConn is decent as a 5-6 and Stone works as a second pairing guy. Murphy and OEL seem to be gelling, so I'm not that worried about that. It's that gaping hole on the left side that needs to be filled.

*cough*Keith Yandle*cough*

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
What do we *need*? A dynamic, top-flight star center that can be counted on, year in and year out, to put up 40+ goals and 70+ points, and can be a reliable point of marketing. But, that's asking for the moon, so I'd say an offensive defenseman that can play the PP alongside OEL.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why is everyone voting top RHD? The problem is depth. OEL can only be out there half the game, so you need another good pairing. The left is weaker than the right. If you traded for a top RHD and put them with OEL, the overall impact wouldn't be much over last year.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Why is everyone voting top RHD? The problem is depth. OEL can only be out there half the game, so you need another good pairing. The left is weaker than the right. If you traded for a top RHD and put them with OEL, the overall impact wouldn't be much over last year.

RHD are harder to come by. I'm confident we'll find a serviceable player for the left, not so much about finding a solid middle guy for the right. That's why.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
RHD are harder to come by. I'm confident we'll find a serviceable player for the left, not so much about finding a solid middle guy for the right. That's why.

I'm going on the basis of "realistic" additions. By greatest need, I'm thinking UFA or trade, someone that can step into the #2 pairing next season and make a significant difference. I don't see a solid RHD being available without losing a player (or two) that would cause a deficiency in another area (trade) or costing too much or be willing to sign with AZ (UFA).

As mentioned, LHDs are easier to come by, so we have a better chance of acquiring a more solid LHD than RHD (especially since we probably won't end up with a GM who has elite negotiating skills).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad