HF.com's Top 50 Prospects from 2001

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
#7 Jeff Jillson

No matter how many times I discuss him or try to figure out what went wrong, I simply cant. The kid had such an amazing blend of size and skill that at worst he should have been able to stick around for about a decade as a serviceable 5th-7th dman.

Out of all the US players on this top 50 list, Jillson ranked the highest is the only bust! Pretty crazy.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
42. Niklas Kronvall (NR), D, Detroit
Drafted 29th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in 2000, Kronvall has been developing with Djurgården in the Swedish Elite League. A smooth skater with excellent puck rushing ability and offensive instincts, some feel Kronvall is too small for the NHL. At 5'11 165 lbs, he needs to bulk up and improve his strength to make it in the NHL. With a deep blue line, the Red Wings will allow Kronvall the time he needs to develop. In 2-3 years when Chelios and Duchesne likely will be retired, that is when we can likely expect Kronvall to step in. In the meantime, he will continue to work on his strength, intensity and confidence in the SEL.

LOL yeah about that

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
#7 Jeff Jillson

No matter how many times I discuss him or try to figure out what went wrong, I simply cant. The kid had such an amazing blend of size and skill that at worst he should have been able to stick around for about a decade as a serviceable 5th-7th dman.

Out of all the US players on this top 50 list, Jillson ranked the highest is the only bust! Pretty crazy.

Depending on your definition of bust Ron Hainsey and David Hale could be there. Both are pretty much 6th/7th defensemen (Hainsey had a few decent seasons but hes fallen pretty bad down the depth chart in Atlanta)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Depending on your definition of bust Ron Hainsey and David Hale could be there. Both are pretty much 6th/7th defensemen (Hainsey had a few decent seasons but hes fallen pretty bad down the depth chart in Atlanta)

both are still playing in the NHL. certainly would not call Hainsey a bust, though he was close to being an after thought until he got to Columbus.

Hainsey has played almost 500 NHL games, not even close to a bust.

David Hale has played almost 350 NHL games, he would be much closer to the bust term then Hainsey at this stage. But with Hale, he never was going to be an offensive player, strictly defense. Hale might not live up to his draft position, but my term of bust usually doesnt include players who stick around for about 10 years in the NHL. Not living up to expectations is different then being a bust. Jeff Jillson is a bust.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
both are still playing in the NHL. certainly would not call Hainsey a bust, though he was close to being an after thought until he got to Columbus.

Hainsey has played almost 500 NHL games, not even close to a bust.

David Hale has played almost 350 NHL games, he would be much closer to the bust term then Hainsey at this stage. But with Hale, he never was going to be an offensive player, strictly defense. Hale might not live up to his draft position, but my term of bust usually doesnt include players who stick around for about 10 years in the NHL. Not living up to expectations is different then being a bust. Jeff Jillson is a bust.

Like I said, depends on your view of a bust. Some people say if you make the NHL, you're not a bust, others say if you don't up expectations you're a bust. Hale and Hainsey both fall under that second category.

Niether opinion is wrong.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I find it so amusing to read articles. Some real good players that did not come close to reaching there potential. It does go to show you how hard it is to scout good players

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I'm a little confused by this. :huh: Hainsey averaged over 18 minutes a game this year. Early in the year he was with Sopel on the 3rd pairing and got plenty of PK time. Later in the year(I think after Stuart came over and Sopel was traded), Hainsey was getting well over 20 minutes a game and was on the 2nd pairing. Any role he was in this year he played well in. Guy basically changed his game to play a more defensive role this year.

If Ron Hainsey is the definition of a bust, then what the hell is the definition of a success????

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Multiple 50 goal scorers should go first.

The other guy did it too but how do you figure Koivu is above Heatley.

I'd still take Miller over Kovalchuk 10 out of 10 times. Koivu is ahead of Heatley because he's a great player at both ends of the ice and a franchise cornerstone, whereas Heatley is a gun.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Hemsky was a soft player that would shy away from physical play? I wish he was more like that now, since he is always taking hits to make plays and getting injured in the process.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'd still take Miller over Kovalchuk 10 out of 10 times. Koivu is ahead of Heatley because he's a great player at both ends of the ice and a franchise cornerstone, whereas Heatley is a gun.

Heatley has had a much better career and a better peak so far, and I doubt Koivu will top either of those. Heatley and Kovalchuk if they can play at 35 goal 70 point pace (They'll likely be better) for several more years will likely be in the HOF, Miller will have to keep up solid play too to make it, Koivu I can't see ever making the HOF

I'm a little confused by this. :huh: Hainsey averaged over 18 minutes a game this year. Early in the year he was with Sopel on the 3rd pairing and got plenty of PK time. Later in the year(I think after Stuart came over and Sopel was traded), Hainsey was getting well over 20 minutes a game and was on the 2nd pairing. Any role he was in this year he played well in. Guy basically changed his game to play a more defensive role this year.

If Ron Hainsey is the definition of a bust, then what the hell is the definition of a success????

I've heard plenty of other people say the opposite. I only saw Atlantla twice all season so everything in my post is hearsay.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
#7 Jeff Jillson

Same. Just never understood why this kid couldn't hack it and/or never got a solid chance. I thought for certain he'd be at least an NHL regular.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Scouting, drafting, and development has been more effective with time. The % of draftees that become NHL regulars (in some capacity) has improved, dating back before 2001.

Oroku Saki*

They were dead on with scouts not being sold on Sjostrom's offensive potential.

Feels good having that number one guy on my team though.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would love to see the list of guys who were eligible for the list but didn't make the cut(excluding people drafted in 2001)

Off the top of my head I believe Gionta didn't make it

I am not sure how highly rated Zetterberg and Datsyuk were at that time either, so I will give them a free pass on those.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
While I agree scouting and player development has improved and the likely hood you that if you have a top 5 pick you will a good maybe great player for years. And if your lucky, as in WSH/PIT you will have a chance at those rare generational talents that come around every 10-15 years.
But you can look at just about any draft pre 2001 and post and come to realize no one knows what they are talking about, lol. If they claim to they are lying. Or fooling themselves. This guy will do this and that whatever, you dont know your just guessing. Im sure ill get flack for saying so, but some of the greatest players ever come out of nowhere We can only guess at what a player will do. For all we know RNH will bust out or some cat in the 6th round no one thought about twice will come along and blow everyone away. It happens all the time.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
Heatley has had a much better career and a better peak so far, and I doubt Koivu will top either of those. Heatley and Kovalchuk if they can play at 35 goal 70 point pace (They'll likely be better) for several more years will likely be in the HOF, Miller will have to keep up solid play too to make it, Koivu I can't see ever making the HOF

Last three season's Heatley has scored 218 points in 244 GP. Koivu has 200 points in 230 GP. As of right now they are pretty close but career and peak obviously go to Heatley. But right now they are close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad