Prospect Info: HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects List

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Here it is, as voted by everyone. Let's use this thread for any discussion. Who's too high? Who got hosed the most?

1) Charlie McAvoy - D (64 votes --- 97%)
2) Anders Bjork - RW (39 votes --- 50%)
3) Jake DeBrusk - LW (30 votes --- 34%)
4) Zach Senyshyn - RW (27 votes --- 34%)
5) Trent Frederic - C (28 votes --- 34%)
6) Danton Heinen - LW (showdown: 34 votes --- 58%)
7) Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson - C (showdown: 25 votes --- 42%)
8) Jakub Zboril - D (25 votes --- 33%)
9) Jeremy Lauzon - D (25 votes --- 36%)
10) Urho Vaakanainen - D (24 votes --- 36%)
11) Ryan Donato - W/C (31 votes --- 36%)
12) Peter Cehlarik - LW (30 votes --- 41%)
13) Jesse Gabrielle - LW (23 votes --- 34%)
14) Ryan Lindgren - D (28 votes --- 44%)
15) Zane McIntyre - G (26 votes --- 38%)
16) Jack Studnicka - C (24 votes --- 38%)
17) Rob O'Gara - D (17 votes --- 29%)
18) Sean Kuraly - C (showdown: 20 votes --- 53%)
19) Emil Johansson - D (showdown: 18 votes --- 47%)
20) Matt Grzelcyk - D (19 votes --- 51%)
21) Joona Koppanen - C (34 votes --- 65%)
22) Anton Blidh - LW (32 votes --- 62%)
23) Ryan Fitzgerald - W/C (31 votes --- 60%)
24) Malcolm Subban - G (30 votes --- 58%)
25) Oskar Steen - RW (29 votes --- 56%)

Honorable Mention: Daniel Vladar - G; Wiley Sherman - D

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
:handclap: Thanks Nugs for running the polls. Fun times and interesting to see where everyone sees prospects, including opinions.

I wasn't paying to much attention however did you notice many votes from other team fans?

Would love to see a comparison vote come January 2018.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for doing this Nugs.

It's an impressive list, and pretty darn accurate for the most part.

If you toss in Pasta, Vatrano, Carlo, Spooner, Acciari, even Czarnik and Agostino, I'd wager this franchise has never been this deep in players ages 18-25 that I can ever recall. Not to mention Krug who is only 26.

Sure they won't all make it, and even those who do won't all make it in Boston, but when you have these many darts to throw at the board, your going to hit a few bulls-eyes.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Thanks for doing all this, neelynugs. I think that Senyshyn may be too high. (I'd place Heinen at #4.) Lindgren, O'Gara , Steen and Kuraly are probably too low.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
great job Nugs- we will have to do another one in late August next year

We can start by assessing how this one looked a year later especially interested in 11-20 'where are they know'

my guess is Berglund skyrockets 'onto' this list next year and is sitting in the top 10

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
24) Malcolm Subban - G (30 votes --- 58%)

Some of these guys are way better than where they were ranked IMO, but this pool is super deep it knocked these guys down.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Excited to see what this list looks like in June,
How many make their respective World Junior teams and play well
How big of a season does Studnicka have?
Do Debrusk,OGara,Heinen and Cehlarlik take the next step
Hughes and Sherman,do they sign right out of college or do the Vesey thing?
I'm not worried about Frederic:)
So much more...

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Thanks for running it Nugs. It was a lot of fun this year. Hopefully it's a great year for a lot of them.

Fortunately, and unfortunately, I think this season will be the time to sell on a few of them to pick someone up at the deadline. There are just too many guys in the mix and you're going to lose some eventually, especially with 5 of the top 6 spots locked up for 5 years.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for doing all this, neelynugs. I think that Senyshyn may be too high. (I'd place Heinen at #4.) Lindgren, O'Gara , Steen and Kuraly are probably too low.

Senyshyn is the classic Boom or Bust player. He will likely either be a 35 goal scorer in the league, or else he doesn't play in the league. Small chance I guess if he fails as a goalscorer he redefines himself as a Danny Paille type.

Than said I still don't have a problem with him at #3

Someone mentioned the Hughes and Sherman could pull a Vesey. Honestly in both cases I think it may boil down to whether the Bruins have space and even offer a contract. Both are decent pospects, and I like Sherman a whole lot, but the system is Very Crowded now, and either some guys will get traded, or they may have to make the decision to not sign some players

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Its nice to see the group of potential top 9/top 4 go 16 deep. Half those guys will probably bust. But that still leaves you with a lot of folks.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'll be curious how this list changes 12 months from now. We should make sure this gets archived.

I will say that I expect Trent Frederic to drop down a few spots this season. He'll have a solid year at Wisconsin, but I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers dropped slightly. He won't have Luke Kunin on his line this year and he will be the focal point of opposing defenses.

I also think this is the year Ryan Lindgren makes a big move up our prospect rankings. I wouldn't be shocked if he moves up to the #2 D Prospect behind Charlie Mac.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I'll be curious how this list changes 12 months from now. We should make sure this gets archived.

I will say that I expect Trent Frederic to drop down a few spots this season. He'll have a solid year at Wisconsin, but I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers dropped slightly. He won't have Luke Kunin on his line this year and he will be the focal point of opposing defenses.

I also think this is the year Ryan Lindgren makes a big move up our prospect rankings. I wouldn't be shocked if he moves up to the #2 D Prospect behind Charlie Mac.

well, i'd be surprised if frederic drops in the rankings...not because your point doesn't make a lot of sense, but more due to a lot of these guys moving out of "prospect" territory. i figure about 4-6 of these guys will graduate to NHL status by next summer. i still think sweeney's toughest move will be figuring out who to package in a deal - no way you can keep all of these guys.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Frederic scored at a point per game rate on the 3rd and 2nd lines even before he was with Kunin (at least a third of the season).

Hopefully, he has gotten stronger and the added experience will offset teams trying to key on him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think #3 to #16 will jumble throughout the season.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
it's mid-december now - interesting to look back at this 3 months later and see what things are looking like. based on the 25-game NHL cutoff, mcavoy, debrusk, heinen and kuraly all graduated. grzelcyk looks to be outdoing his ranking. thoughts on the others? jeremy swayman has to be the biggest riser as far as i can see.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I'd appreciate any information about Wiley Sherman from those folks who see him in person. How is he progressing? Does he have a realistic chance to thrive in the Bruins organization?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good lord, said it a million times but still needs repeating, what an exciting group of kids the organization seems to have put together understanding not all will make it of course.

I haven`t seen the overwhelming majority of those on the list but have read a great deal from many here who have seen certain one`s play and it`s pretty exciting stuff. Feels like only yesterday the B`s had zippo in the prospect cupboard

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
It's the board's motto to worry about it, so I want to say it first:

He has to sign first. He could pull a Jimmy Vesey on August 15

regis has been falling all over himself complimenting sherman (and donato) in every bruins game he's covered.
wonder if sherman pulls a benning and looks elsewhere due to the abundance of prospect bodies in boston
organization. hopefully we can get him signed - maybe he and ryan will come in together once harvard is bounced.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
regis has been falling all over himself complimenting sherman (and donato) in every bruins game he's covered.
wonder if sherman pulls a benning and looks elsewhere due to the abundance of prospect bodies in boston
organization. hopefully we can get him signed - maybe he and ryan will come in together once harvard is bounced.

I would bet everything you and I own that Ryan comes out once Harvard is done.

Sherman is a tough call for me. No indication on what he might do. The guy the Bruins selected 15 spots later Cameron Hughes, can also test unrestricted free agency if not signed by August 15th. That might be an easier call then Sherman

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I would bet everything you and I own that Ryan comes out once Harvard is done.

Sherman is a tough call for me. No indication on what he might do. The guy the Bruins selected 15 spots later Cameron Hughes, can also test unrestricted free agency if not signed by August 15th. That might be an easier call then Sherman

yeah, donato is a slam dunk from what i've heard. i like both hughes and sherman, but would prioritize sherman
based on his skillset/size/upside, and the amount of bodies up front in the same age window as hughes. would be great
if we signed both. either way, as you've pointed out numerous times, sweeney eventually has to clean up the
deck a little bit. not enough room for everyone.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
based on the 25-game cutoff (and loss of subban), here's the updated list (5 guys removed):

2) Anders Bjork - RW (39 votes --- 50%)
4) Zach Senyshyn - RW (27 votes --- 34%)
5) Trent Frederic - C (28 votes --- 34%)
7) Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson - C (showdown: 25 votes --- 42%)
8) Jakub Zboril - D (25 votes --- 33%)
9) Jeremy Lauzon - D (25 votes --- 36%)
10) Urho Vaakanainen - D (24 votes --- 36%)
11) Ryan Donato - W/C (31 votes --- 36%)
12) Peter Cehlarik - LW (30 votes --- 41%)
13) Jesse Gabrielle - LW (23 votes --- 34%)
14) Ryan Lindgren - D (28 votes --- 44%)
15) Zane McIntyre - G (26 votes --- 38%)
16) Jack Studnicka - C (24 votes --- 38%)
17) Rob O'Gara - D (17 votes --- 29%)
19) Emil Johansson - D (showdown: 18 votes --- 47%)

Honorable Mention: Daniel Vladar - G; Wiley Sherman - D

In the Mix for Next List: Jeremy Swayman - G, Cameron Hughes - C, Daniel Bukac - D, Victor Berglund - D, Colby Cave - C, Kyle Keyser - G

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->