Prospect Info: HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects - Discussion Thread

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
8-10 range
I'm glad some were able to watch him at Development Camp,didn't see a negative thing written about him there,next stop is the Prospect Challenge in Buffalo,assuming he's in shape he should be able to make a good impression,going into the season durability will be a concern, he's not the biggest guy out there,its very hard to make it through 76 games at 6.2 never mind 5.9
He's a good player

I'm a little surprised here.

I thought you may have him higher.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Why are the Bruins dragging their feet signing him then?
I could go all corporate on you and say not signing him gives Boston roster flexibility but there's 7 open roster spots, the kid doesn't seem to be bothered by it so I don't know the answer

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Thanks @neelynugs for doing this every summer and giving us something to read and think about. This was one of the harder prospect tools to rank, and like everyone my own personal list would look a little different...

Frederic is too low for me. He scored at a 20 goal pace last year and was a dominant scorer in college. He should still be top5 IMO, and if I were handicapping rookies to make the team this fall he'd be on the short list.

Lauko is too high. I like his skills and he’d be in my top10 but he had a very average regular season in junior. I think he’s being boosted up this ranking by a strong Memorial Cup. It’s great that he played well there but it’s a very small sample. I want to see him do that over a full season before he’s a top5 guy (for me).

I think Kuhlman should be ahead of Steen. I see them as similar players, only Kuhlman has already shown he can do it at the NHL level.

Keyser would be a few spots higher for me as well. Dominant season, dominant playoffs and another player I’d have ahead of Lauko.

Same goes for Swayman. Dominant college player right now. What’s with the goalie prejudice? Most important position on the ice and we don’t want to give them top10 votes? He and Lauko would be around 9/10 for me.

Senyshyn would be outside my top10 at this point. Terrific athleticism and a long-term project, I know, but not enough offensive growth for me to still think he’s a future top6. I am expecting a jump this season, and I still think he'll be an NHL'er but my hopes of him being Erik Cole have faded.

Olson, Hall and Berglund would all be a bit higher for me, based on nothing but my own viewings.

I’d probably have Zech around 11 or 12 with Cameron Hughes.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Somewhere in the range between No. 6 - No. 10. Zech is a stud.

"Zech is a stud", but you have him 6-10? So are you actually that high on the prospects you rate ahead of him? Just curious, are you grading them on today or on their potential?

I'm just asking because I don't see 6-10 stud prospects among the Bruins prospects.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
That's what I mean there are plenty of roster spaces. Why risk someone offering him an ELC before camp opens?
According to the internet, in order to sign with any NHL team while under contract with the Providence Bruins, Providence ownership and the player would need to come to a mutual termination agreement to void the existing contract. Thus, in the non-hypothetical world, he ain't going anywhere.

They are using this one-year AHL contract thing to delay the ELC contract timer being started as well as keeping their reserve list pruned and, in all likelihood, slipping the kid a pretty big bonus/salary that doesn't affect Boston's cap.

Pretty smart. If it catches on, people will howl.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'm almost positive it's NHL games played. I think 25 GP was the cutoff
last year koko fit into the age requirement (25 and under when season starts). since he turns 26 in a few weeks,
i had to chop him from the list.

JFK has played 25+ NHL games, which was the line we decided last summer.

Oh I'm such a moron. Of course I knew that.

Thank you for clarifying yet again. I'm gonna go bang my head on a wall

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
That's what I mean there are plenty of roster spaces. Why risk someone offering him an ELC before camp opens?

The other poster may be right, that it's some sort of cap circumvention, but I actually think they want to see if he can play against men at his size. He's not just small, he's really thin and light. Zech is listed at 165 and I think that's being generous. Krug is 5'9 but almost 190. 160 is really light for a defenseman who has to spend half his time engaged in board battles. That's the reason I'd rank him 10-12. Not all body types add mass easily. PJ Axelsson couldn't gain a pound if he ate every meal at IHOP. On skills alone Zech would be in my top5, but I think he has to show he can add the strength required to play in the NHL.

Reactions: TCB and Estlin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The other poster may be right, that it's some sort of cap circumvention, but I actually think they want to see if he can play against men at his size. He's not just small, he's really thin and light. Zech is listed at 165 and I think that's being generous. Krug is 5'9 but almost 190. 160 is really light for a defenseman who has to spend half his time engaged in board battles. That's the reason I'd rank him 10-12. Not all body types add mass easily. PJ Axelsson couldn't gain a pound if he ate every meal at IHOP. On skills alone Zech would be in my top5, but I think he has to show he can add the strength required to play in the NHL.

Yeah or he needs to prove he is as slippery as Gryz who is right in that same size range listed at 170.

Reactions: TCB

BruinsNetwork

Why are the Bruins dragging their feet signing him then?

I don't think they're "dragging their feet" here, Lou. They did the same thing with Clifton last year before signing him to an NHL contract. Why sign a player under NHL terms and have him count against the contract limit if they don't have to, you know?

I've spoken to Zech multiple times and each time he's expressed how he loves it in Rhode Island and the North East, but also how he'd love to be kept around moving forward. There were several teams interested in him, many of which still are, so I think he'll be signed before the end of the year.

Bs have the luxury of being an arms-length away from Providence and JFJ, their General Manager. If Boston wants to sign Zech this year, which they do and will, there won't be any problems to worry about.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
at least 8 players I expect to complete their elc contract and then be good enough to get a second deal... thats good depth.

do we see any surefire first line hall of fame types? mmmm... maybe not but we got a couple of them playing everyday for us in pastrnak and McAvoy and a couple other possibilities in debrusk and carlo

if you look at our prospect drafting/developing over the last 6 years...

David Pastranak
Charlie Mcavoy
Jake Debrusk
Brandon Carlo
Jack Studnicka
Urho Vaakanenen
John Beecher
Oskar Steen
Trent Federic
Danton Heinen
Jeremy Lauzon
Anders Bjork

this is a 12 man list of guys that look pretty damn good... and im not even including ryan donato traded away or Karson kuhlman and connor Clifton added through the college ufa draft.

Perfect? No... but damn damn damn good

{oh and that was without a single pick in the top 12 too}

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Thanks @neelynugs

Lauko is too high. I like his skills and he’d be in my top10 but he had a very average regular season in junior. I think he’s being boosted up this ranking by a strong Memorial Cup. It’s great that he played well there but it’s a very small sample. I want to see him do that over a full season before he’s a top5 guy (for me).

i'm gonna disagree with you on lauko. loved him in his draft year, thought he was a steal in the 3rd round.
to me he was 1st round value. the wheels and explosiveness along with underrated skill make him a guy
that should be an elite 3rd liner. could be a top 6 guy - too soon to say, but i'm excited to see his progression
this year against men (assuming he's in the AHL).

Reactions: Saxon Eric

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
as we're about to reach the holiday break, what's everyone thinking about this list
several months later? risers? fallers? surprises?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
as we're about to reach the holiday break, what's everyone thinking about this list

He's neither a surprise nor a riser, but Studnicka so far is certainly confirming expectations about his ability and progress. He remains a very exciting prospect and he looked fine in his couple of games in Boston. Probably ready for the big league now but I'm happy for them to give him a full season in the AHL to further develop and mature before a more permanent call up next year.

Reactions: neelynugs

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Studnicka the clear #1
Lots of risers
Steen and Keyser fallers,I'm guilty of higher expectations for those 2
Koppanen biggest surprise
Berglund having a strong season as well

Reactions: neelynugs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->