Prospect Info: HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects: #14

Who is Boston's #14 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
hughes #13. next.....no additions to the poll as of now.

HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects:

1) Urho Vaakanainen - D (58.5%)
2) Jack Studnicka - C (79.4%)
3) John Beecher - C (42.7%)
4) Jeremy Lauzon - D (29.8%)
5) Jakub Lauko - W (32.2%)
6) Oskar Steen - W (39.3%)
7) Trent Frederic - C (37.5%)
8) Kyle Keyser - G (29.4%)
9) Zach Senyshyn - W (42.5%)
10) Jakub Zboril - D (61.4%)
11) Karson Kuhlman - W (50.0%)
12) Axel Andersson - D (39.4%)
13) Cameron Hughes - C (42.3%)
14)

Remaining Prospect Pool:
jack becker
victor berglund
anton blidh
roman bychkov
cam clarke
ryan fitzgerald
curtis hall
joona koppanen
dustyn mcfaul
matias mantykivi
quinn olson
jake schmaltz
pavel shen
wiley sherman
jeremy swayman
daniel vladar

*cooper zech is not eligible (AHL contract)*

Last edited:

BruinsNetwork

Going Swayman here, then McFaul next. I actually prefer McFaul to Andersson as a prospect. Different players and just think the former has a much higher ceiling, but as @Dom - OHL says, he’s several years away and wants his college degree to boot.

BruinsNetwork

Will be interesting to see what happens when Zech is signed to a ELC by Boston.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I was impressed by Curtis Hall last week. He had a pretty good year at Yale for an 18-year-old and he's got a great motor. I don't see any skating issues, if anything his skating is a positive. He's also 6-foot-3. Definitely could be a new Kuraly.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Poor Daniel Vladash. Seems to have lost his appeal among fans.

Something tells me we might see an undrafted free agent signing before the season begins, similar to Kyle Keyser.

I'm hoping for a Billy Constantinou or Cole McKay.

i like them both. there's definitely room for a right shot defenseman and right shot winger.
we'll see when the camp invites come in i guess.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I went with Swayman, I like him . Once concern that impact him and McFaul are both on the slow trac college program, which is great in some ways, but it does mean that when they do go pro, they will have the option of free agency

Vladar is an interesting guy, but he just hasn't really gotten it done yet at the pro level. This is a HUGE year for him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ryan Fitzgerald is another one that seems to be heading to the bottom. I wonder if this is justified as reportedly he had a decent season in Providence even with some ups and downs.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Dustyn McFaul sliding this far is a shame. Probably one of the highest ceiling players out of the last 4 or 5 guys. I think it’s either a lack of exposure or people voting players who are more NHL ready.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
For all we really know, Roman Bychkov or Jack Becker could be the best players in the system

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dustyn McFaul sliding this far is a shame. Probably one of the highest ceiling players out of the last 4 or 5 guys. I think it’s either a lack of exposure or people voting players who are more NHL ready.

Just my two cents but, If I am going strictly on ceiling/potential, he's the third defenseman on the list for me.

Player's like him in the draft drop because the vast majority of teams don't have the depth to wait 5 or 6 years for the player. The Bruins had that luxury.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ryan Fitzgerald is another one that seems to be heading to the bottom. I wonder if this is justified as reportedly he had a decent season in Providence even with some ups and downs.

Seems like he had a horrid second half last year. Only 11 points in his final 27 games. Fitz is hard to see an NHL spot for, seems like he has some decent skill, but he is very small, not physical, and a mediocre at best skater . Maybe he could make a 4th line somewhere, but just hard to imagine it in Boston

For all we really know, Roman Bychkov or Jack Becker could be the best players in the system

Maybe Bychkov as he is kind of a hidden guy. Becker has had a lot of time at a big program showing very little so far, and has already passed his 22nd birthday

BruinsNetwork

Just my two cents but, If I am going strictly on ceiling/potential, he's the third defenseman on the list for me.

Player's like him in the draft drop because the vast majority of teams don't have the depth to wait 5 or 6 years for the player. The Bruins had that luxury.

I’m sure a lot of this will be considered a “hot take,” but let’s give it a go:

My personal comparison for McFaul, in regards to his ceiling and potential, is Mattias Ekholm. To me, they have similar play styles, similar builds and similar draft positions.

Moving forward, I’d take Vaakanainen, Lauzon, Zboril, McFaul and Berglund over Axel Andersson if I could only pick five defensemen prospects. Andersson gets his tires pumped a lot, from what I’ve personally seen, but I’m not sure it’s so warranted.

The potential I’ve seen from Berglund in Allsvenskan (and Providence for a few games) is just higher than what I’ve seen from Andersson is that same league— to me, anyways. Not saying that Andersson is a bad prospect, because he’s not, just more so that those other defenders stand out more in their own ways.

To me, Andersson doesn’t do enough to separate himself from other players around him. Andersson definitely is more low-risk than Berglund, especially in terms of playing in the NHL one day, but his potential and skills just don’t “pop” out more than Berglund’s for me.

Berglund is also someone who personally idolizes Erik Karlsson and tries to model his game after him. Obviously that’s a long-shot beyond long-shots, but I’ll gladly take that chance on such an immensely skilled player like Berglund.

Anyways, most of this is unrelated to what Dom said, but I just wanted to contribute my thoughts and hopefully not rile a ton of people up!

BruinsNetwork

Seems like he had a horrid second half last year. Only 11 points in his final 27 games. Fitz is hard to see an NHL spot for, seems like he has some decent skill, but he is very small, not physical, and a mediocre at best skater . Maybe he could make a 4th line somewhere, but just hard to imagine it in Boston

Maybe Bychkov as he is kind of a hidden guy. Becker has had a lot of time at a big program showing very little so far, and has already passed his 22nd birthday

I think Becker has shown some steady progress, actually, but he’s still a long-shot IMO. His skating and agility has vastly improved since he’s been drafted, so that’s a good sign. Seems his offensive skills are limited and kind of a “what you see is what you get” type of thing.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Going Swayman once more.

My Personal Rankings:

1.) Jack Studnicka
2.) Urho Vaakanainen
3.) Oskar Steen
4.) Jakub Lauko
5.) Jeremy Lauzon
6.) John Beecher
7.) Trent Frederic
8.) Zach Senyhsyn
9.) Jakub Zboril
10.) Kyle Keyser
11.) Axel Andersson
12.) Karson Kuhlman
13.) Jeremy Swayman
14.) Cameron Hughes

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

i thought he'd be a tweener out of college. liked his game 2 years ago, didn't see a lot of him this past season.
i do think he'll figure out a way to carve out nhl games, just doubt it'll be in boston.

Reactions: Dr Hook

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I am with you on that Dom, I honestly think he might have the 2nd highest ceiling out of all our defensive prospect. Have a hard time seeing anyone besides Vaak having a higher ceiling, though as you said he is a good 5 years away. I just have a tough time getting a gauge on his floor. I need to see him play against some stiffer competition, but think he is going to be a guy that teams look back on and cant believe they passed up on him.

He is definitely one of my most intriguing/interesting prospects we have. Sky is the limit for him.

I have a cousin who played for Aurora last year so I got to see Mcfaul play in their matchup and he stood out way more than anyone else on the ice. Cant wait to see what the future holds for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom - OHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->