Prospect Info: HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects: #14

Who is Boston's #14 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
axel crushing everyone for #13, so we'll move on...cedric pare added.

HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects:

1) Ryan Donato - W/C (84.8%)
2) Trent Frederic - C (50.6%)
3) Urho Vaakanainen - D (33.0%)
4) Jack Studnicka - C (43.5%)
5) Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson - C (40.7%)
6) Jakub Zboril - D (55.6%)
7) Zach Senyshyn - W (SHOWDOWN: 60.3%)
8) Peter Cehlarik - W (SHOWDOWN: 39.7%)
9) Jeremy Lauzon - D (30.9%)
10) Jeremy Swayman - G (SHOWDOWN: 56.3%)
11) Jakub Lauko - C/W (SHOWDOWN: 43.7%)
12) Ryan Fitzgerald - W (57.4%)
13) Axel Andersson - D (61.2%)
14)

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Went with Vlader here

While I love Swayman. I'm not quite sure why Vlader isn't the #1 goalie prospect in the system at this point. He is only 15 months older than Swayman, and is likely 2-3 years ahead in terms of development, as he already has 2 full seasons of Pro hockey. He is the modern prototype in terms of size His ECHL numbers aren't great, but not sure there is much defense being played at the ECHL level. Vlader has been very good in the dozen games he has gotten at the AHL level.

I tend to hope we will see him split time, and ultimately take over the starting role down in Providence this season.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Steen in NA this year?

Really liked the couple games I saw from him. Might not have an NHL future but that’s where we are in this list.

Gabrielle really disappointed and free fell on my list.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
my top 13 is the same as this top 13 with regards to the players in it - with the order slightly different.
from 14 on is where i found it to be a crapshoot - can really go with 5 or 6 guys for #14 and the rest
of the group is hit or miss.

Reactions: BigBadBruin

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
He stood out in the last two DC's. Very good skater who seems to always find the puck. Don't know how he'd fit in offensively as I didn't see too much of his scoring ability in the times I watched him.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Who are we talking about now, Steen?

He was my vote in this spot over EJ. Loved the little I have seen from him at DC and the WJC’s. He and Studnicka were the two most dominant players imo.

As Ratty pointed out, Steen has skills, but hasn’t shown much in the way of offense (in the SHL). In today’s NHL I think he has the potential be a solid Bottom 6 player that chips in offensively.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Who are we talking about now, Steen?

He was my vote in this spot over EJ. Loved the little I have seen from him at DC and the WJC’s. He and Studnicka were the two most dominant players imo.

As Ratty pointed out, Steen has skills, but hasn’t shown much in the way of offense (in the SHL). In today’s NHL I think he has the potential be a solid Bottom 6 player that chips in offensively.
Steen biggest asset is his determination (Grit) and hockey IQ he'll stick once given the chance. Great on the PK.
Ideal 3rd 4th liner who'll chip in offensively and picks his game-up in meaningful games.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Steen biggest asset is his determination (Grit) and hockey IQ he'll stick once given the chance. Great on the PK.
Ideal 3rd 4th liner who'll chip in offensively and picks his game-up in meaningful games.

I hope he will stick.

I do like his grit, but I haven’t seen enough of him to judge his “IQ”. I disagree those are his biggest assets. Have you seen this kid skate? He’s phenomenal. From what I have seen his hands are excellent as well. If he didn’t have grit, he would not have gotten this far at that size, so it kind of goes without saying.

It looks like he spends at least another year in the SHL, where he should get a larger role, and then come over.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope he will stick.

I do like his grit, but I haven’t seen enough of him to judge his “IQ”. I disagree those are his biggest assets. Have you seen this kid skate? He’s phenomenal. From what I have seen his hands are excellent as well. If he didn’t have grit, he would not have gotten this far at that size, so it kind of goes without saying.

It looks like he spends at least another year in the SHL, where he should get a larger role, and then come over.

Interesting to note that Steen played a lot of hockey last year, 44 games in the Slovak league and another 50 in the Swedish league, plus the WJC.

Like you said hopefully next year he takes a bigger role on his club team and heads to NA the year after.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I hope he will stick.

Yes I agree Steen is a very explosive skater but in today's NHL where everyone can Skate you'll need other intangibles to get you to the big show, thats where his grit/tencity and IQ take over but that should go with out saying.

His hands are good but I wouldn't call them excellent.

Ive only seen him play a dozen or so times but his IQ especially defensively has always stood out. He always seemed to make the right read.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes I agree Steen is a very explosive skater but in today's NHL where everyone can Skate you'll need other intangibles to get you to the big show, thats where his grit/tencity and IQ take over but that should go with out saying.

His hands are good but I wouldn't call them excellent.

Ive only seen him play a dozen or so times but his IQ especially defensively has always stood out. He always seemed to make the right read.

Not every can skate the way Steen can. You are making far too little of his ability.

Last year at Dev Camp there was a heavy rope laid out serpentine on the ice. Players were asked to do a variety of drills with the rope. One involved having to skate with a puck and cross over the rope meaning they had to chip the puck over the rope, forehand and backhand, catch it and maintain control all at the same time.

The only prospect able to do it flawlessly was Steen. I believe he had one miscue doing the drill with all the reps he did.

I would call that excellent.

How it translates to game play is another matter.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Interesting to note that Steen played a lot of hockey last year, 44 games in the Slovak league and another 50 in the Swedish league, plus the WJC.

Like you said hopefully next year he takes a bigger role on his club team and heads to NA the year after.

You were looking at the wrong Oscar Steen.

The B’s pick is Oskar Steen:

Oskar Steen at eliteprospects.com

61 games total last year (45 SHL, 16 International Jr games)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm looking at the right guy.

Oskar Steen hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

I included his SHL playoff games.

Maybe it's a mistake by Hockey DB to include those Slovak league games. Does seem kinda odd.

Dude,

A little common sense.

HockeyDB is wrong. You can’t play in two different professional men’s leagues in different parts of Europe at the same time of the year :laugh:

They put this Oscar Steen’s stats in with the B’s Oskar Steen:

Oscar Steén at eliteprospects.com

I prefer Elite Prospects to HockeyDB. More accurate and more info.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Dude,

A little common sense.

HockeyDB is wrong. You can’t play in two different professional men’s leagues in different parts of Europe at the same time of the year :laugh:

They put this Oscar Steen’s stats in with the B’s Oskar Steen:

Oscar Steén at eliteprospects.com

I prefer Elite Prospects to HockeyDB. More accurate and more info.

He could of played half the year in one league and the 2nd half in another. How should I know.

Either way I was looking at the right guy but Hockey DB is wrong.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He could of played half the year in one league and the 2nd half in another. How should I know.

Either way I was looking at the right guy but Hockey DB is wrong.

I get that HockeyDB is wrong, but...

1) All of the Euro Leagues have roughly 50 games. I would think pretty common knowledge if you are a frequenter of a site like this. If not, see point 2 below.

2) On EliteProspects you can click on Steen’s team and league and see how many games the team plays. I believe HockeyDB has a search feature for leagues and teams? If you check the Slovak league and SHL you would see each plays 50+ games.

No way the B’s Oskar Steen could have played 40+ for both leagues. Not only would it be logistically impossible, but the teams would likely have an issue with him playing for someone else.

Should have stuck with your first instinct, it was correct.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I get that HockeyDB is wrong, but...

1) All of the Euro Leagues have roughly 50 games. I would think pretty common knowledge if you are a frequenter of a site like this. If not, see point 2 below.

2) On EliteProspects you can click on Steen’s team and league and see how many games the team plays. I believe HockeyDB has a search feature for leagues and teams? If you check the Slovak league and SHL you would see each plays 50+ games.

No way the B’s Oskar Steen could have played 40+ for both leagues. Not only would it be logistically impossible, but the teams would likely have an issue with him playing for someone else.

Should have stuck with your first instinct, it was correct.

So which one of us is going to reach out to Hockey DB and tell them to fix their Oskar Steen entry? ;)

Reactions: Rumpy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad