Prospect Info: HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects: #10

Who is Boston's #10 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
zach wins #9. who is 10? blidh added to the mix.

HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects:

1) Urho Vaakanainen - D (58.5%)
2) Jack Studnicka - C (79.4%)
3) John Beecher - C (42.7%)
4) Jeremy Lauzon - D (29.8%)
5) Jakub Lauko - W (32.2%)
6) Oskar Steen - W (39.3%)
7) Trent Frederic - C (37.5%)
8) Kyle Keyser - G (29.4%)
9) Zach Senyshyn - W (42.5%)
10)

Remaining Prospect Pool:
axel andersson
jack becker
victor berglund
anton blidh
roman bychkov
cam clarke
ryan fitzgerald
curtis hall
cam hughes
joona koppanen
karson kuhlman
dustyn mcfaul
matias mantykivi
quinn olson
jake schmaltz
pavel shen
wiley sherman
jeremy swayman
daniel vladar
jakub zboril

*cooper zech is not eligible (AHL contract)*

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Zboril.

From what I've read from those who have had the chance to watch him in Providence, it sounds like he's just about ready for a full time position with the big club (log jam).

Former 1st round pick with some two-way upside but a lot of questions surrounding that.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
zboril has a lot of things i'd want in a 2nd pairing defenseman. but i just cannot shake his poor decisions.
i see him as a 3rd pair guy in the NHL by 2020-21. no clue which team he'll be playing with.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Zboril for me

I think he’s gonna play in the league for awhile, it’s just a matter of with who

That's how I feel. ZBoril can and will play in this league for a long time, just not sure he is going to get a chance here

It is Zboril and Kuhlman, and they both likely have lower floors than anyone on the list above them.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I went with Zboril. I feel like #10 and #11 should be a runaway between Zboril and Kuhlman

My Personal Rankings (so far):

1.) Jack Studnicka
2.) Urho Vaakanainen
3.) Oskar Steen
4.) Jakub Lauko
5.) Jeremy Lauzon
6.) John Beecher
7.) Trent Frederic
8.) Zach Senyshyn
9.) Jakub Zboril
10.) Kyle Keyser

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I've gotta believe there is some more upside with this shot and his character:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Always interesting to see the solo votes and who voted for them. Very interested in this particular poll, as it’s two ppl who know what they are talking about and see these players the most

I know nothing about Dustyn McFaul but when @Dom - OHL votes for him that catches my attention. Same for when @Saxon Eric votes for cam Hughes. He sees him/providence as much if not more than anybody on the boards.

I think the prospect depth is terrific. It may not be filet mignon, but there’s a lot of meat on the bone

Reactions: Bergyesque

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Always interesting to see the solo votes and who voted for them. Very interested in this particular poll, as it’s two ppl who know what they are talking about and see these players the most

I know nothing about Dustyn McFaul but when @Dom - OHL votes for him that catches my attention. Same for when @Saxon Eric votes for cam Hughes. He sees him/providence as much if not more than anybody on the boards.

I think the prospect depth is terrific. It may not be filet mignon, but there’s a lot of meat on the bone

McFaul won't get votes here because of the path he has chosen to take and not many eyes on him. Add the fact that he is a very long term project and most fans are unwilling to wait. He was no less then 6 years away from his draft year.

But I am going strictly on potential. Here's a kid who became a leader at age 16 in Junior A. Huge big minute eating d-man. I've clocked him at over 32 minutes a game several times. Plays in any situation, be it shut down role or offensive role and can QB the pp and a superb PK guy. Super smart kid on and off the ice.

Yes he was a sixth round pick, but that's where you pick guys that are that far away. You don't use first or second round picks on them.

I think it's safe to say that I am probably the only person here that has watched him play. I could be way off the mark, but I think his ceiling is right there with Zboril.

If interested, I wrote this just prior to his draft and I made no secret that I wanted the Bruins to pick him before the draft Dustyn McFaul – Pickering Panthers – Player Profile

Last edited:
Reactions: maxbme and Strafer

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
McFaul won't get votes here because of the path he has chosen to take and not many eyes on him. Add the fact that he is a very long term project and most fans are unwilling to wait. He was no less then 6 years away from his draft year.

But I am going strictly on potential. Here's a kid who became a leader at age 16 in Junior A. Huge big minute eating d-man. I've clocked him at over 32 minutes a game several times. Plays in any situation, be it shut down role or offensive role and can QB the pp and a superb PK guy. Super smart kid on and off the ice.

Yes he was a sixth round pick, but that's where you pick guys that are that far away. You don't use first or second round picks on them.

I think it's safe to say that I am probably the only person here that has watched him play. I could be way off the mark, but I think his ceiling is right there with Zboril.

If interested, I wrote this just prior to his draft and I made no secret that I wanted the Bruins to pick him before the draft Dustyn McFaul – Pickering Panthers – Player Profile

I’m very interested, thank you for the information!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
McFaul won't get votes here because of the path he has chosen to take and not many eyes on him. Add the fact that he is a very long term project and most fans are unwillDom, aing to wait. He was no less then 6 years away from his draft year.

I guess he will get a bit more visible now playing D1 at Clarkson? I wonder if he does a full 4 years there- that would put him at 24 coming into his first pro-season. Would be interesting- sort of Gryz-like in trajectory. Dom, any insight as to why he took that extra year in Jr A?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I guess he will get a bit more visible now playing D1 at Clarkson? I wonder if he does a full 4 years there- that would put him at 24 coming into his first pro-season. Would be interesting- sort of Gryz-like in trajectory. Dom, any insight as to why he took that extra year in Jr A?

He could have gone to Kingston in the OHL - they wanted him, but he wanted to keep his NCAA eligibility. His intention is to get his degree. So his only options would have been return to Pickering or go the USHL way. Cedar Rapids drafted him and owned his USHL rights. They had a very good team there and I think after discussing it with his family and advisors (and I'm sure the Bruins had some input) it was decided that his development would come along better in Pickering where he could play huge minutes and get very good coaching versus playing a lessor role in Cedar Rapids.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsNetwork

Got a chance to see him play during development camp and I was extremely impressed. If someone had told me he was their second or third round pick I would have believed them.

Something that really stood out to me about McFaul is his ability to handle smaller, quicker players in-tight and down-low. He didn’t get turned, spun or beat in those battles, instead he had displayed great agility and gracefulness against these smaller guys. That’s not something you see much from guys 6’2” and up.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Got a chance to see him play during development camp and I was extremely impressed. If someone had told me he was their second or third round pick I would have believed them.

Something that really stood out to me about McFaul is his ability to handle smaller, quicker players in-tight and down-low. He didn’t get turned, spun or beat in those battles, instead he had displayed great agility and gracefulness against these smaller guys. That’s not something you see much from guys 6’2” and up.

Exactly. People should form their own opinions (hard to do when you don't get a chance to watch him play) and not vote for someone because I did.

McFaul really should finish at the bottom of this list if everyone is voting based on "what they see."

That's why these lists should be taken with a grain of salt and isn't a true reflection of anything other then "love for a player."

Like I said, I could be way off in my assessment. But in terms of potential, I think he should be in the top 10. But then again, fans aren't willing to wait 5-6 years.

Reactions: UncleRico

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
E

Like I said, I could be way off in my assessment. But in terms of potential, I think he should be in the top 10. But then again, fans aren't willing to wait 5-6 years.

I'm willing to wait. If he has a shot at being as good as you believe he could be, it will be worth it. Thanks for the info about him as well. I guess I am curious as to Canadian kids' path to the NCAA, as most U.S. players go from high school to college, so at 18 or so. It seems Canadian kids take a bit longer- maybe like some U.S. kids that play that extra season in the NTDP/USHL. Is that a skills development and physical maturity decision?

And yes, I will probably have McFaul down at the bottom because I haven't seen him. But it's just some summer fun. I would be outraged if the Bruins actually rated their prospects using the criteria in this thread :laugh:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Late to this thread, I'm surprised Steen came in at #6. I'd have him at #3 quite easily, he put up good numbers in a top men's league last season. He'll probably spend this season in Providence but he could turn into a nice top 9, maybe even top 6 RW in the near future.

As for #10, I'm voting Kuhlman here. I'm not sure Zboril will be anything more than a solid 3rd pair guy, while Kuhlman looks like a good bottom 6 wing as soon as this season. I wouldn't totally rule out him being a usable 2nd line option as well, he pretty much was in the playoffs compared to their other options.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Exactly. People should form their own opinions (hard to do when you don't get a chance to watch him play) and not vote for someone because I did.

McFaul really should finish at the bottom of this list if everyone is voting based on "what they see."

That's why these lists should be taken with a grain of salt and isn't a true reflection of anything other then "love for a player."

Thanks Dom for shedding light upon those lesser known prospects.
I think fans are willing to wait for those 6th rounders to come into their own, I know I am.
Looking forward to any other nuggets you have.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I went with Zboril. I feel like #10 and #11 should be a runaway between Zboril and Kuhlman

My Personal Rankings (so far):

1.) Jack Studnicka
2.) Urho Vaakanainen
3.) Oskar Steen
4.) Jakub Lauko
5.) Jeremy Lauzon
6.) John Beecher
7.) Trent Frederic
8.) Zach Senyshyn
9.) Jakub Zboril
10.) Kyle Keyser

I like the rankings, but what are your reasons for having Studnicka over Vaakanainen and Steen over Lauko? I'm just curious to see your reasoning for it.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I like the rankings, but what are your reasons for having Studnicka over Vaakanainen and Steen over Lauko? I'm just curious to see your reasoning for it.

My reasoning for Studnicka over Vaakanainen is due to the fact that I think center for this team is a more important need and I put both on the same level as terms of their potential. What I mean by that is at their respective positions, I see both being top roster guys (Studnicka = Top 6 center, Vaakanainen = Top 4 defenseman). So it's more just going with the more important need. I don't have any issue if you have them flipped. I go back and forth on it a lot, to be honest.

For Steen over Lauko, mostly due to production at the levels they played (SHL > CHL) and position (RW > LW for need).

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm willing to wait. If he has a shot at being as good as you believe he could be, it will be worth it. Thanks for the info about him as well. I guess I am curious as to Canadian kids' path to the NCAA, as most U.S. players go from high school to college, so at 18 or so. It seems Canadian kids take a bit longer- maybe like some U.S. kids that play that extra season in the NTDP/USHL. Is that a skills development and physical maturity decision?

And yes, I will probably have McFaul down at the bottom because I haven't seen him. But it's just some summer fun. I would be outraged if the Bruins actually rated their prospects using the criteria in this thread :laugh:

The majority of US kids go from HS to
the USHL. It's the NTDP U-18 kids and
maybe maybe a handful of true US HS kids
that jump directly to D1 NCAA.

Long gone are the days of the majority of
kids going from Sr in HS to D1 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad