Prospect Info: HF Bruins Top 25 Prospects: #10

Who is Boston's #10 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In one of if not THE best conference in college hockey.

A decent number of his games were actually televised so he made a pretty strong impression on me.

Super competitive and was able to carry said mediocre Maine father than anyone expected. He wasn't even supposed to start the majority of the games before the season either, he really earned everything he got last season.

Lauko was pretty close here for me as well but we really just haven't seen enough of him to justify it. Same thing with Andersson.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the last 3 National Champs all came from the NCHC (formerly the WHCA), which is where Z-Mac played (and went to the Frozen Four his junior and senior year). The point being that he was lights out in college, won the Richter Award and was a Hobey Finalist and hasn’t been able to duplicate that success as a pro.

I thought Swayman was very good when I saw him (only twice), but it’s so hard to predict the career paths of goalies. Longshots come out of nowhere and sure things fizzle.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Not trying to be argumentative, but the last 3 National Champs all came from the NCHC (formerly the WHCA), which is where Z-Mac played (and went to the Frozen Four his junior and senior year). The point being that he was lights out in college, won the Richter Award and was a Hobey Finalist and hasn’t been able to duplicate that success as a pro.

I thought Swayman was very good when I saw him (only twice), but it’s so hard to predict the career paths of goalies. Longshots come out of nowhere and sure things fizzle.

Well I hate to break it to you but you are being argumentative. We are talking about the #10 prospect in the system and someone I just said I liked, not exactly someone I predicted to be a superstar. Most prospects should come with a healthy does of pessimism I just offered some reasons why I like him.

And as far as your point well I don't agree. UND is one of the best and most talented schools in their conference year in and year out which you could hardly say for Maine, where Swayman went to school. He was a big part of why that team was even relevant this season competing against much deeper and more talented schools.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well I hate to break it to you but you are being argumentative. We are talking about the #10 prospect in the system and someone I just said I liked, not exactly someone I predicted to be a superstar. Most prospects should come with a healthy does of pessimism I just offered some reasons why I like him.

And as far as your point well I don't agree. UND is one of the best and most talented schools in their conference year in and year out which you could hardly say for Maine, where Swayman went to school. He was a big part of why that team was even relevant this season competing against much deeper and more talented schools.

I thought we were discussing a point, not having an argument?

As I said, I like Swayman, but personally I wouldn’t put him in the Top 10 because of the general unpredictability of goaltenders. At this point, I don’t think there is much to choose between he and Keyser.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I thought we were discussing a point, not having an argument?

As I said, I like Swayman, but personally I wouldn’t put him in the Top 10 because of the general unpredictability of goaltenders. At this point, I don’t think there is much to choose between he and Keyser.

Fair Enough. I just find these rankings to be pretty subjective and opinionated.

Like I said in my previous post, I happened to watch a lot of Hockey East this season so that's why he made a strong impression on me personally. Seeing how these prospects play in a game situation tells me a lot more about their compete then how they do in a camp. That combined with what I read about his work ethic and other intangibles has me higher on him that most probably.

When it comes to the guys who I haven't seen in the OHL and other junior league I have to rely on guys like Dom who are great at what they do but unless they are a no doubt blue chipper I usually reserve judgment.

Reactions: DKH

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Fair Enough. I just find these rankings to be pretty subjective and opinionated.

Like I said in my previous post, I happened to watch a lot of Hockey East this season so that's why he made a strong impression on me personally. Seeing how these prospects play in a game situation tells me a lot more about their compete then how they do in a camp. That combined with what I read about his work ethic and other intangibles has me higher on him that most probably.

When it comes to the guys who I haven't seen in the OHL and other junior league I have to rely on guys like Dom who are great at what they do but unless they are a no doubt blue chipper I usually reserve judgment.

I saw Swayman a couple times last year and he was very good. In addition when UMass played Maine on the road, their coach, Greg Carvel went out of his way to praise Swayman, saying his performance was one of the most dominant he had ever seen from a goalie. That said (and I know it was just a scrimmage and one day), I thought he had a rough day the last Friday of Dev Camp. Both Vladar and Keyser were better.

As a B’s fan, I would like nothing better than Swayman and Keyser to develop into NHL caliber goalies. I don’t think I know enough about goalies (technically) to really judge them, so I have a hard time ranking them.

Reactions: DrJustice

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I saw Swayman a couple times last year and he was very good. In addition when UMass played Maine on the road, their coach, Greg Carvel went out of his way to praise Swayman, saying his performance was one of the most dominant he had ever seen from a goalie. That said (and I know it was just a scrimmage and one day), I thought he had a rough day the last Friday of Dev Camp. Both Vladar and Keyser were better.

As a B’s fan, I would like nothing better than Swayman and Keyser to develop into NHL caliber goalies. I don’t think I know enough about goalies (technically) to really judge them, so I have a hard time ranking them.

Hopefully we won't have to find out anytime soon with Rask and Halak under contract :laugh:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I took a look at Maine the year before Swayman came in vs last year when he was a Freshman and it was quite interesting.

2016-2017 Season
Overall: 11-21-4
Conference: 5-15-2

2017-2018 Season
Overall: 18-16-4
Conference: 10-11-3

Now I'm sure that's not 100% Swayman, but it was interesting to see his #'s vs the other Maine goalie

Swayman - 2.72 GAA / .920 SV%
McGovern - 3.84 GAA / .885 SV%

Talk about a swing in performance between two goalies. If you take their SV% difference and times it by the SA on Swayman, it comes out to Maine allowing 25 more goals for the season...YIKES! I have high hopes for Swayman. I honestly haven't been this excited about a goalie prospect since Boston traded for Rask (was my favorite goalie prospect going into the draft). This is going to be a big year in seeing what we have in this kid.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->